2 A119 mini 2’s ???

Mvgratz

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I ordered my A119 mini 2 a few days ago I had zero thoughts about ever having a rear facing setup. After watching numerous dash cam videos of “2 channel” systems now I’m having second thoughts.

Would there be any major down side to purchasing a second A119 mini 2 and installing it on the rear window? (If I ultimately decided to go with an additional rear facing camera at a later date). From the reviews I’ve seen posted here, wind noise would be the only negative I can foresee. Of course I rarely drive with my windows down….

I've been using two A119 V3s in my pickup truck for the last three years front and rear facing and the set-up works just fine. In some ways there is an advantage because if one camera should ever fail when you are out on the road you have a spare, whereas with a dual channel camera that failed you'd find yourself without any coverage.

When I purchased the original V3 I was so impressed with the camera and its reliability, especially for the price at the time, that I bought a second one to replace the rear camera I had previously been using. Three years later I'm still pleased with the decision.

If you live in a 1 plate state, and that plate are in the back, your only chance of getting a plate capture on a oncoming car that do something naughty will be with a rear camera as he/she have passed by you.

Using 2 similar cameras, with the same settings mean you should still have the footage in sync as the startup / boot time on both cameras should be the same, only downside IMO would be you have to go to 2 cameras to get footage if you need footage from both cameras that is.
Many of us started out with 2 - .3 - .4 single cameras in the car, that would be us addicts, you can also sync footage with a video editing program if you really wanted to ( for sharing ) in a dispute in a court, well you will have to submit clean unaltered footage, but if its a little out of sync i would say thats the courts / insurance companies problem, but with video, and a time/date stamp that should be a no brainer.

In the +10 years i have been into this, and sharing idiots in traffic on youtube,most of the times they have always performed on the front camera, if i have added rear or side cameras to my footage it have been B-roll footage.
Mind you i have been hit in the rear 2 times where my cameras did not get it, but all my fault, first time rear camera on too long and cheap USB wire with power from the front, second time was while parked where i got hit 2 hours after i parked, but only used parking guard for 1 hour on the build in timer.

A front camera alone, well it 100 % document what you do, so if you get rammed from behind and the the 4 occupants in that car said you changed lane suddenly, well your front camera will have a recording of you driving rock steady in your lane, right until BAM ! So their coordinate lie,,,,,, fended off, even if its not on camera.

I lean a lot on that fact myself, CUZ it dont take much before plate capture is not possible, and thats also fine, that is unless you are the victim of a hit and run.

I've been using two A119 V3s in my pickup truck for the last three years front and rear facing and the set-up works just fine. In some ways there is an advantage because if one camera should ever fail when you are out on the road you have a spare, whereas with a dual channel camera that failed you'd find yourself without any coverage.

When I purchased the original V3 I was so impressed with the camera and its reliability, especially for the price at the time, that I bought a second one to replace the rear camera I had previously been using. Three years later I'm still pleased with the decision.
Thank you for the reply. And you kinda confirmed what I was thinking.

If you live in a 1 plate state, and that plate are in the back, your only chance of getting a plate capture on a oncoming car that do something naughty will be with a rear camera as he/she have passed by you.

Using 2 similar cameras, with the same settings mean you should still have the footage in sync as the startup / boot time on both cameras should be the same, only downside IMO would be you have to go to 2 cameras to get footage if you need footage from both cameras that is.
Many of us started out with 2 - .3 - .4 single cameras in the car, that would be us addicts, you can also sync footage with a video editing program if you really wanted to ( for sharing ) in a dispute in a court, well you will have to submit clean unaltered footage, but if its a little out of sync i would say thats the courts / insurance companies problem, but with video, and a time/date stamp that should be a no brainer.

In the +10 years i have been into this, and sharing idiots in traffic on youtube,most of the times they have always performed on the front camera, if i have added rear or side cameras to my footage it have been B-roll footage.
Mind you i have been hit in the rear 2 times where my cameras did not get it, but all my fault, first time rear camera on too long and cheap USB wire with power from the front, second time was while parked where i got hit 2 hours after i parked, but only used parking guard for 1 hour on the build in timer.

A front camera alone, well it 100 % document what you do, so if you get rammed from behind and the the 4 occupants in that car said you changed lane suddenly, well your front camera will have a recording of you driving rock steady in your lane, right until BAM ! So their coordinate lie,,,,,, fended off, even if its not on camera.

I lean a lot on that fact myself, CUZ it dont take much before plate capture is not possible, and thats also fine, that is unless you are the victim of a hit and run.
I live in the southeastern US where it’s all “one plate states”. My biggest reasoning for adding a rear facing camera who be the ignorant a-holes that love riding your butt here. Even if you’re exceeding the psl. (Pet peeve of mine). It’s inevitable that one will eventually meet the rear bumper of my truck, and I’d like to be able to prove in court (or to my insurance company) that they were at fault.

Yeah i get you, i would not recommend any American anything less than a 2 channel system, but 1 still go a long way if money are tight, a lot better than no camera at all.
As we say any dashcam are better than no dashcam.

Here if you hit anyone from behind, even if say the person slam the brake to not run a amber / yellow light, well its still his fault as he did not keep distance and / or pay attention.
Here if you get a fender bender at a 4 way stop, insurance pretty much always cut it 50/50, CUZ there and other places too the Danish traffic code are made by idiots that couldent really give a damn, so they also use the phrase " mutual consideration " a lot in the traffic code.
Which is just proof that they could not bother to come up with something iron clad.

Yeah i get you, i would not recommend any American anything less than a 2 channel system, but 1 still go a long way if money are tight, a lot better than no camera at all.
As we say any dashcam are better than no dashcam.

Here if you hit anyone from behind, even if say the person slam the brake to not run a amber / yellow light, well its still his fault as he did not keep distance and / or pay attention.
Here if you get a fender bender at a 4 way stop, insurance pretty much always cut it 50/50, CUZ there and other places too the Danish traffic code are made by idiots that couldent really give a damn, so they also use the phrase " mutual consideration " a lot in the traffic code.
Which is just proof that they could not bother to come up with something iron clad.
Pretty much is the person that rear ended you here is at fault. Especially if they’re following too closely and you can prove it. That’s where a good camera can come in handy.

I think I’ll wait and see how well I like the first A119 mini 2 when it gets here, which should be next week by the looks pod the tracking information. And then I saw where Viofo said they should be available via Amazon around 6/15. I prefer ordering from Amazon versus direct from China.

For sure buy local and be covered by national consumer laws.

I have noted that the multi channel systems from quite a lot of manufacturers do produce more support and problem reports here. I'm still not convinced that 2 dashcams writing to one sdcard is reliable.

If my car had a boot/trunk power socket I'd power my second V3 and rear mount it.

If my car had a boot/trunk power socket I'd power my second V3 and rear mount it.

You could easily power a rear V3 with a 5 meter 28/24AWG or 20 foot 22AWG USB-A to USB-mini B cable from your front power socket. That's how I've been doing it in my vehicle for years.
I power both my front and rear V3 cameras using a dual port USB charger from one of the two 12V sockets in my dash. I use the other 12V socket to power my side cameras and other devices using a 3 socket splitter.
All in all I could power 8 USB devices if I wanted to.

Mini USB Cable 20 ft, USB 2.0 Type A to Mini 5 Pin B Cable

usb_cable.jpg

When I ordered my A119 mini 2 a few days ago I had zero thoughts about ever having a rear facing setup. After watching numerous dash cam videos of “2 channel” systems now I’m having second thoughts.

Would there be any major down side to purchasing a second A119 mini 2 and installing it on the rear window? (If I ultimately decided to go with an additional rear facing camera at a later date). From the reviews I’ve seen posted here, wind noise would be the only negative I can foresee. Of course I rarely drive with my windows down….
This model also copes with video recording on the rear window.
Everyone chooses for himself. In my opinion, the WM1 form factor and the lack of a screen are more suitable for the rear window.
If they made him automatically turn off the LED indicators in parking mode like the T130, it would be great.

Last edited:
Everyone chooses for himself. In my opinion, the WM1 form factor and the lack of a screen are more suitable for the rear window.

Perhaps if the WM1 had existed over three years ago when I purchased a V3 for the rear I might have considered one. It depends a lot on the vehicle and various factors of consideration. In my case, since it is a pick-up truck with a sliding glass window on the rear one can't mount a camera directly to the glass, otherwise you can't open the window. The V3 lent itself to being mounted above the window with the lens peeking out through the glass but not touching it. That might be doable with the WM1 but it would be a bit more challenging, especially with the off center lens placement and smaller mounting plate. The other factor for me is the narrower angle of view of the V3 lens which suits itself very well to coverage of the pick-up truck bed, the area on either side of the bed and cars behind the truck. For my vehicle the WM1 might make for a great side camera because of it's mounting options, lens coverage, wifi and not having a screen.

There are many things to consider when deciding which camera to buy.

Perhaps if the WM1 had existed over three years ago when I purchased a V3 for the rear I might have considered one. It depends a lot on the vehicle and various factors of consideration. In my case, since it is a pick-up truck with a sliding glass window on the rear one can't mount a camera directly to the glass, otherwise you can't open the window. The V3 lent itself to being mounted above the window with the lens peeking out through the glass but not touching it. That might be doable with the WM1 but it would be a bit more challenging, especially with the off center lens placement and smaller mounting plate. The other factor for me is the narrower angle of view of the V3 lens which suits itself very well to coverage of the pick-up truck bed, the area on either side of the bed and cars behind the truck. For my vehicle the WM1 might make for a great side camera because of it's mounting options, lens coverage, wifi and not having a screen.

There are many things to consider when deciding which camera to buy.
Everyone chooses a DVR based on their preferences, as well as taking into account the specifications of the car.
I just showed the person that there is such a model and how it shoots being on the rear window.

Everyone chooses a DVR based on their preferences, as well as taking into account the specifications of the car.
I just showed the person that there is such a model and how it shoots being on the rear window.

Yes, we are saying the same thing. :)

I have two separate cams myself. The mini for the front and wm1 for the rear. The wm1 sits higher up and runs cooler then the mini because of this it does not catch any of the heater lines in the window on vid and well I don't worry its going to overheat. It was also easier for me to run the charging wire to the port in my trunk vs running it up front if I went with a multi cam system. The only benefit I can think of is multi cams tend to lower the vid quality for the added cams vs if they are just running one.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot since I posted this question.

The main issue I can foresee (for myself at least) is if there’s not a way to turn off voice commands in settings for the rear camera. Granted I may never need to use voice commands since I’ve got 512gb cards. It would be nice to have the ability to “toggle the voice commands on/off” in the settings though. I wonder if Viofo can or will add that ability via a firmware update.

Ever since Viofo sent me the original A119 Mini for test & review 11 months ago, as soon as I got done testing it has lived on my rear window.
This is because it has the capability to use a CPL Filter.
The A229 Duo rear camera is also on my rear window but it's performance suffers in my car because it has a lot of window glare, and the remote camera does not accept a CPL Filter. So I use the A229 rear camera to film my interior.

Whenever I wanted to change settings, format the SD Card, or download a quick clip I would have to get out of the driver seat, and push the wi-fi button on the camera.
Now with the Mini 2's voice commands, I can lazily stay seated and just say; Turn Wi-Fi On, and connect to the App.
Imagine how grateful I am now that I don't have to budge an inch. lol

A119 Mini & A229 Rear .jpg

Here's a video showing the A229 rear used as an interior camera, and the original A119 Mini as a rear camera;

Back