2014 Camry OBD2 Port Power Shutdown

Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just installed an Apeman C860 dual dashcam in my 2014 Toyota Camry. I hardwired it to the OBD2 port using an Apeman charger. Unfortunately, after 5 minutes, the port will turn off and my camera stops charging. If I open the door, the OBD2 port turns back on and the camera begins charging. Has anyone seen this happening in their vehicle? I know the camera had a low battery to begin with, but my sisters Honda has a similar setup and her port doesn't shutoff.

Any ideas as to why?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the wiring diagram (which could be the case) for a 2014 Camry, the OBD2 port pin 16 (12-volt power terminal) should be hot all of the time (like in most passenger vehicles). It looks like the power for the OBD2 port is provided via a 10 amp fuse in fuse socket 19 in the passenger compartment fuse box.
1659855964302.png

On the Apeman website, it lists the following OBD2 hardwire kit for the C860: Apeman Dashcam Hardwire kit CH50, Micro Hardwire Kit for Dash Cam C420/C420D/C860/C770

I just found the following info on a BlackboxMyCar listing on eBay for what looks like a different Apeman OBD2 hardwire kit:

For APEMAN C450 Series A

Compatible 11.5–40V Vehicles
- This Hardwire Kit connects the camera directly to the car, truck, bus, SUVs, or big rig for continuous power, with wide range of input voltage(Voltage between 11.5-40V)​

Build-in G-SENSOR
- The dash cam automatically shuts down 5 minutes after the car is turned off. At this time, the G-SENSOR in the OBD starts to work (in the monitoring state). Once the car is vibrated, the OBD will be powered on to turn on the recorder. When there is no vibration signal, the driving recorder will automatically shut down after 1 minute, which will save the battery.​

It appears there might be a couple of different versions of the Apeman OBD2 hardwire kits. At least one of them has a 5 minute turn off feature. The CH50 hardwire kit listed on the Apeman website does not give a description of its features, so I cannot determine if it has a 5 minute turn off feature or not.

You might want to verify the Apeman hardwire kit you have in your car is the Apeman CH50.

I hope that helps.

Yes, the CH50 is currently in use on my 2014 Camry. The CH45 was installed on a 2009 Honda Civic. Both were set to continuous loop recording, because power should be continuously fed to the dashcam via OBD2 port. This should allow you to charge the battery of the dashcam until voltage cut off turns it off.

The g sensor is used to detect vibration and thus turn the camera on when in parking mode. If parking mode is disabled since it's on continuous loop, the g sensor should lock videos when it thinks an accident occurred.

I hadn't heard of a 5 minute turn off feature that you mentioned for the CH45. Maybe it's a feature of the CH50 too. I wonder if the charger is malfunctioning and to test the theory, I can hook up a scan tool and see if it loses power after 5 minutes. If it doesn't lose power, the OBD2 port should have continuous power.

I thank you for your research.

Update: The Ch50 does have the same 5 minute timer as the CH45. The g sensor in parking mode will turn on power to the OBD2 port. If parking mode is disabled. Then power on will not occur. 24 hour parking surveillance should be thought of as continous loop recording. If continuous loop is on and parking mode is off, the port should have continuous power. I am assuming that it isn't switching correctly. Basically, ACC mode is active with continuous loop mode off, and it will turn off after 5 minutes. With loop recording and constant power, it should stay on. Maybe the charger isn't switching? I have seen other chargers that have a manual toggle between ACC and 24hour and Apemans might be internal and auto.

Hello, so I'm having the same issues. I have hardwired it to my vehicle using the ch50 kit it turns off if I'm at a stoplight for 2 minutes and then I have to go and manually turn it back on all while driving. So I unhooked it took it inside the house plugged it into the wall and it still shuts off sitting idle but then if the camera gets jolted or moved then it turns back on automatically. So I guess what I'm looking for is how do you keep the camera on while driving and then it shuts off when the vehicle shuts off but keeps in parking mode and motion detection etc etc. But then the camera simply turns back on when the vehicle is started and stays on I got all the settings correct about Auto saving power off screensaver off.

Back