2021 Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if we Danes went all in on this with our power to X efforts, you cant have a global shipping company that can only refuel at home in Denmark.
So you will need some methanol tankers to move fuel from places with high winds to places with low winds.
There is a lot of infrastructure needs building to make the transition to net zero, we have hardly started yet!

Yeah. plenty of challenges ahead, we have Torm tankers which i worked for back in the day, they have or had nice ships for hauling refined products ( crude too if need be but that did not happen while i was there )
There are room for a few gallons in a 200 M long ship, and when empty and degassed you can play indoor football / badminton in the tanks, plenty room for that.
With the star link satellites in place, the ships on the return leg could hold truly international competitions of what ever sports in the tanks and transmit them live via the star link satellites, so win - win.
Just too bad Danes will not be manning those ships, not even on the officer side anymore, so much for a once great seafaring nation.

Just too bad Danes will not be manning those ships, not even on the officer side anymore, so much for a once great seafaring nation.
Your seafarers will all be too busy out on the floating wind turbines instead, sailing them into the highest gale force winds up around Greenland to make the most power!

Made me think of this, which is right up my alley geekness.

O man i would like a well equipped shop,,,,, so many things i want to make / try

Speaking of the issue of efficiency and the question of how much energy one needs to put into a process vs how much you get back out, an experiment at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory yesterday came tantalizingly close to achieving true nuclear fusion. Powerful lasers were focused onto a target the size of a BB, resulting in a reaction that threw off over 10 quadrillion watts of power, or about 6% of the total energy of all the sunshine striking Earth's surface at any given moment. (for 100 trillionths of a second). Achieving sustained ignition, even for such a brief moment is a huge breakthrough! The scientists are stoked!

Offshore wind turbine size creeps up to 16MW with 6 soccer fields rotor area:

MingYang ups offshore wind stakes with 16MW giant and 242-metre rotor (794 ft)

Designed for high-wind IEC IB including typhoon-class IEC TC, the MySE 16.0-242 features a 242-metre diameter rotor, 118-metre long blades, and a 46,000 square metre (1/2 million square foot) swept area, equivalent to more than six soccer fields.

With the industry’s largest rotor and highest nominal rating, a single MySE 16.0-242 turbine can generate 80,000 MWh of electricity every year, enough to power more than 20,000 households, MingYang said.

My hopes are on those reactors if i have to be honest, i just see wind turbines as a band aid.
Maybe as i like Elon and others also see the best future for us humans is getting off this rock, and you cant use a wind turbine in space.

That propeller car, if you asked me i would probably also have been on the NO side, but it would then have been one of the cases where i would enjoy to have been wrong.

One thing is for sure, if i had a well equipped workshop to tinker in, you guys would probably think i had fallen off the earth, cuz i think i would be spending a lot of hours out there.

Yikes! It looks like we may be in the path of the first major hurricane to make a direct hit to New England since the early 1990s. For now, it is still a tropical storm but Henri is expected to become a hurricane and is mainly projected to hit Southern New England initially. Of course, the path and strength of the storm is still unknown but the last time we had a storm like this it still caused major damage here in Northern New England even though we were more or less on the fringes. Back in 2011 we experienced Tropical Storm Irene which started off as a Category 3 Hurricane which traveled all the way up from the Floridian coast as a tropical storm and then pretty much trashed the entire state of Vermont leaving billions of dollars in damage in its wake and the worst flooding in almost 100 years. A bad memory I hope we don't get to revisit!

henri.jpg

Not many days ago they had severe rain forecast for the Capitol here, it never became that bad there or on the run up to hitting the Capitol.
I did get good farmer rain a few days ago, started very light around 10 in the evening, by midnight it was regular raining, and that kept up for 3 - 4 hours while i tossed and turned in my bed.
But too late now as most farmers have harvested at least their grain crops.

Thatsd what farmers like sustained not too heavy rain, something the ground can keep up with acting like a sponge.

My hopes are on those reactors if i have to be honest, i just see wind turbines as a band aid.
Maybe as i like Elon and others also see the best future for us humans is getting off this rock, and you cant use a wind turbine in space.
The problem with those reactors is that they are never going to be cheap, while wind turbines for people who live in windy places are now much cheaper than any other power source, so it is hard to see how the reactors are going to be profitable. Maybe with some new discoveries they will turn out to be cheap enough that they can compete with stored wind power, but the wind turbines keep getting bigger, and bigger always results in cheaper power, the wind turbines are well in the lead.

That propeller car, if you asked me i would probably also have been on the NO side, but it would then have been one of the cases where i would enjoy to have been wrong.
It is a pity he got his explanation wrong. Birds fly faster than the wind every day, they can even fly directly against the wind, just look at how the Albatrosses do it, without even flapping their wings. The secret is in the aerofoils generating lift and when the aerofoil tips are moving at close to 200 mph, the car being a few mph either side of wind speed doesn't make much difference to what is generated.

We were in the middle of a drought until the beginning of July. Since then, we've had almost 20 inches of rain, twice the normal average for this time of year. It rained all day and all night yesterday and we got several more inches of rain. It just keeps coming. If we get a major tropical storm or hurricane as predicted it will break records. Rain is predicted all week to some extent leading into the forecasted storm. When the soil is as saturated as it is right now and then you get a major rain event like a tropical storm, that is when all kinds of damage occurs. I'm hoping for the best.

Nuclear fusion is literally the panacea to the world's base load energy needs. One day it will become viable and it will be relatively cheap to operate as it basically requires containment and high powered lasers. It has none of the drawbacks of traditional fission power. The problem is that revolutionary fusion power is probably decades away from becoming a viable source of world energy and therefore will be too late to help with the climate crisis. Until then, wind, solar and nuclear power will be the answer to our electrical needs but fossil fuels need to go NOW!

True those even when they have gotten them to work will be massive extensive, but many thing are / have been that way and are now quite affordable.
Wind i assume have also been very expensive for us Danes, and it still must be since we have one of the highest prices for power, if it is cheap then we for sure do not get anything off it, and this wind turbine are largely funded by tax payer money.
So either wind is expensive or Danes just get it up the bum.

I read somewhere than this year is the 22 consecutive drought year in the US, maybe thats why they want to buy Greenland and then pipe all the water back to the US :)
They just named July the hottest month ever on earth,,,,,,, clearly they did not do their measurements in Denmark CUZ here that month was as best average.

There is also several ways of doing fusion power where i think the cheapest one are the stellerators, that granted have a lower output.

Since then, we've had almost 20 inches of rain

When a measurement is quoted in inches I know exactly how long that is. Over here they insist on using centimetres and they mean nothing to me and I have to convert them.

I was brought up with feet and inches. The only US difference from the UK that springs to mind is that peoples weight is always quoted in pounds where we used to use stones and pounds. We are now using kilograms which again mean nothing and I have to use a converter.

Wind i assume have also been very expensive for us Danes, and it still must be since we have one of the highest prices for power, if it is cheap then we for sure do not get anything off it, and this wind turbine are largely funded by tax payer money.
So either wind is expensive or Danes just get it up the bum.
Wind has been expensive to develop, and the Danes and British taxpayers have paid most of the cost, but there is currently an argument over if the windpower companies will sign up for the next round of UK windfarm government "subsidies", or invest fully themselves, seems like they will probably make the investments themselves so that they make the profits rather than the taxpayer getting most of the profit. Meanwhile the UK is struggling to get nuclear power plants built, the companies that build them don't want to invest even with huge subsidies available, they are too expensive compared to wind! The next one to be built is looking at using spare overnight power to generate hydrogen to improve its profitability, but it is far from clear that it can compete with overnight wind generated hydrogen.

Nuclear fusion is literally the panacea to the world's base load energy needs.
What is this "base load"? It is always presented as an amount that is always used and which wind can't provide, so something else must be used. But overnight our wind can provide all the power we use, Denmark's wind can provide far more than they use, so everything else can be switched off, or put to other uses like generating hydrogen. If anything, it is wind that provides the base load, everything else is there to top up during peak loads, or calm weather, and that is something nuclear power is extremely poor at doing, and if you try using nuclear for that purpose then it becomes very expensive. The best use for nuclear seems to be for things that need constant load, things like aluminium smelters and hydrogen generators, however with wind power becoming so cheap, those uses would rather build some extra capacity and overproduce during windy times and underproduce during calm times, in return for even cheaper power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back