2021 Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Danish scientists wanted to visit the worlds most northern island called Oodaaq island,
Did they find Oodaaq, or has it been lost to rising sea level?

At least the new island has some rock, not just a pile of gravel!

It is my understanding these islands come and go, at least they use to with the forces of the ice up there, soon they might be somewhat permanent until they are flooded bu rising sea levels.

I have been watching this thread for a while. So far, I have not seen anybody pointed out the root cause of the “climate change”. It is possible that I might miss somebody’s comments regarding this. Please let me know in case I did miss it.

Regardless of political stands and/or views, my point is that all of those “changes” correlate very well to increasing world population. Human population has increased exponentially in past centuries. Our planet has its limited capacity to sustain all the living organisms. More human being on this planet means that more forests, rivers, and lakes need to be eradicated for housing, for farmland, and for roads. This eliminates wild animal’s habitats (sounds like invasive species). This also changes the weather pattern. This will ultimately destroy our planet.

I have been watching this thread for a while. So far, I have not seen anybody pointed out the root cause of the “climate change”. It is possible that I might miss somebody’s comments regarding this. Please let me know in case I did miss it.

Regardless of political stands and/or views, my point is that all of those “changes” correlate very well to increasing world population. Human population has increased exponentially in past centuries. Our planet has its limited capacity to sustain all the living organisms. More human being on this planet means that more forests, rivers, and lakes need to be eradicated for housing, for farmland, and for roads. This eliminates wild animal’s habitats (sounds like invasive species). This also changes the weather pattern. This will ultimately destroy our planet.

In addition to your comments about population is the rise of the middle class in many developing nations around the world in places like China, India and other parts of Asia where growing prosperity is leading more and more people to purchase cars, household appliances and general consumer goods at an exponential rate. The rise of the middle class has also led to a concurrent rise in the consumption of beef in developing nations along with increased consumption of more traditional foods like pork and poultry. All of this results is dramatic increases in carbon emissions.

Last edited:

Population increases only speed up the climate change, they don't cause it. They are a big problem and we appear to have an unsustainable population already, but that is really a different topic and is not something that needs sorting in the next 10 years to avert disaster. The big problem causing climate change is the burning of fossil fuels, and that does need sorting very urgently, something that can be done, but so far has not been done. Having stopped using fossil fuels, one of the major reasons for our current population being unsustainable will have been sorted - limited fuel reserves, and quite possibly the second major reason will also have been solved by the switch in cheap clean renewable power - limited agricultural land,

99% of time i am so unbelievable happy i have never fostered any children myself, only the 1% where i see what i am missing out on is keeping me sane.
Tried so very hard to pass some of my knowledge onto my sisters kids, which i have seen very often as they grew up, and who mostly also respect their uncle a great deal as i have never made them any promise i have not kept.
Anyways, all of those kids, even the good ones, i have to back off some times and not confront them on something and starting with " are you completely out of your mind"

And it is much worse now, a decade ago or longer, i was a stone cold SOB and nothing would move me in any other way but making me angry, but now i am so emotional i am afraid i would do something horrible if i had a child.
I will not take the right from any Chinese / Indian / where ever, person, to not also have and do the same things i do, at least as long as he pay for his ride him self.
But the people that Danes vote for, they would gladly violate a persons rights on matters like that.

Of course i wish those people would be able to learn from our faults here in the western world,,,,,, but that do not seem to be the case, which is indeed immensely disappointing.

Quite a few fog-bows have been pictured here lately.

a9629386-b2ec-4bed-9f9c-1c13708a11c6.jpg

I've always thought those were called white rainbows. I looked it up and I guess both names are valid. I've rarely seen one. The last time was on a climb up Mount Washington, just after we got to the summit.

Clear up pretty fast, at least the last couple of days where we have had thick fog overnight, today it took a bit longer to clear out.
it is indeed a rather lackluster rainbow.

Clear up pretty fast, at least the last couple of days where we have had thick fog overnight, today it took a bit longer to clear out.
it is indeed a rather lackluster rainbow.

Apparently, fog bows are very similar to rainbows only the water droplets are much smaller. - Fog Bow

Yeah.
Every milliwatt used on that is a waste as far as it go for me.
Just googled for Danish stores / services ASO accepting bitcoin, i came up with about 10, and only one of them i knew about ( a food app )
All Danish banks want nothing to do with bitcoin or transactions from bitcoin exchanges.

Yeah.
Every milliwatt used on that is a waste as far as it go for me.
Just googled for Danish stores / services ASO accepting bitcoin, i came up with about 10, and only one of them i knew about ( a food app )
All Danish banks want nothing to do with bitcoin or transactions from bitcoin exchanges.
If you looked at the interactive graph in the article you might have noticed that Bitcoin now uses more electricity than Denmark!

bitcoin_power.jpg

If you looked at the interactive graph in the article you might have noticed that Bitcoin now uses more electricity than Denmark!

View attachment 58041
And Denmark has fairly green electricity, so the Bitcoin CO2 output will be maybe 10x higher?
(Hard to tell when the graph has no scale, does it start at zero?)

I was not able to see article, there was hoops to jump.

And Denmark has fairly green electricity, so the Bitcoin CO2 output will be maybe 10x higher?
(Hard to tell when the graph has no scale, does it start at zero?)

The chart compares electricity consumption only, not CO2 output. Additionally, if you were to pay attention you'd see that the graph is based on "best guess trend estimates" using methodology from The Cambridge Bitcoin Electricity Consumption Index (CBECI)

Aaaaa yes, selective reading, my old nemesis.

India's foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar is visiting Denmark these days, as India the worlds 3 most polluting country want to move on the environment, well they of course want to learn from the best.
So Denmark and India have formed a environmental strategic partnership last year which will be a benefit for Danish companies in the area of going green.

imagescaler

I think thats a nice challenge for a little country like Denmark, with fewer people in it than in some cities in India.

Krigers flack offshore wind park came online, boosting the Danish wind power by 16%, and it is also the largest Scandinavian off shore wind installation with 72 turbines and +600 Mw output, enough for 600.000 Danish households power use in a year.

iu

FYI these are additional projects here either in the planning phase or construction phase,,,, and yes the bottom big one ( Hesselø ) it is being build as i type, and should be operational in 2023.

• (Vesterhav Nord og Syd) 350 MW
  • Omø Syd 200 - 320 MW
  • Jammerland Bugt 120 - 240 MW
  • Mejl Flak – 60 - 120 MW
  • Frederikshavn Havvindmøllepark 21,6 - 72 MW
  • Aflandshage 250 MW
  • Nordre Flint 160 MW
  • Thor Havvindmøllepark 800 - 1000 MW
  • Kadet Banke Havmøllepark 504 - 864 MW
  • Paludan Flak 154 – 228 MW
  • Treå Møllebugt 434 - 720 MW
  • Hesselø Havvindmøllepark 800 – 1200 MW

And that is not even factoring in the really big stuff that is on the books here.
And for good reason the estimate is in 2030 the Danish need for power is 70 TWh, in 2019 that number was 35 TWh

imagescaler

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back