256GB microSD Test: Street Guardian SG9665GC DashCam (Super Sized! Nearly 34 hours!!)

I thought that only tested the quality of what was available? Didn't realize it saw actual capacity too.

I thought that only tested the quality of what was available? Didn't realize it saw actual capacity too.
it will write to every single byte available on the card and tell you how many bytes it wrote to and read successfully. it will say is a card passed or not and its true capacity.

Two hours are pretty good compared to the time it take to fill the sucker in a dashcam.

So that software will test the card and tell you if it's good?

So that software will test the card and tell you if it's good?
pretty much. you still have to have some basic knowledge to understand what it spits out at you to know if its good or not.

Two hours are pretty good compared to the time it take to fill the sucker in a dashcam.
Should be more than enough to record the 24 Hours of Le Mans in it's entirety. (y) Now all I need is a car, some gasoline, a support team and one or two co-drivers. :D

Ill co drive with you any day, and i will not repeat the Dane 2 years ago putting his Aston in the wall and some how killing himself in the process though it dident really look that bad.

Sadly i cant bring any sponsor money to the game, and the damn lotto gods prevent me from buying my way into a seat.

Nice card but I don't need all that space and for the 100 clam difference between the 128 and 256 I will grab the 128 which should last me yonks if I look after it
"100 clam difference" -- first I've heard that one, I like it! :D

Actually though, if you want to compromise, some manufacturers make 200GB cards. PNY is one of them ($80) two of those cards have survived for 1 year (EDIT: fixed time frame) without issue, a third died after a faulty power supply killed it, and a fourth got lost in the 100 feet between my living room and my car (butterfingers...). Both they and Lexar made the variants for a while, each can be found on Amazon or eBay if you know the right spots for slightly lower. Here's a Lexar on eBay (EDIT: Link removed, see below) for $65 by a seller that's been around since June 2011 and has almost 7,000+ feedback score of 99.5%

(I will note that I will be buying that exact eBay listing once I finalize my GC setup and will test those guys. Newegg had PNY, Lexar, and the "black card / red text" SanDisk guys that were having numerous issues, so I went with PNY on the basis of a $10 sale. Lexar is an untested brand, but I'll take the plunge for science again no problem!)

It should be said that bleeding edge capacities come with ridiculous pricing. The cards I mention are from an era where 200 GB was attainable, but 256 GB was just starting to come out, so 200 GB was inherently lower in pricing.

Last edited:
I would avoid the Lexar, their quality has changed a lot in the last 12 months, not what they used to be

I would avoid the Lexar, their quality has changed a lot in the last 12 months, not what they used to be
The cards I linked to were made 2-3 years ago. Same precaution? It's old unsold stock.

EDIT:
Nevermind, stopped being made November of 2016, hmm...

in the lead up to the Lexar brand being sold off by the parent company earlier this year their quality dropped off from what it used to be, they managed to maintain pricing when flash memory prices doubled, only ways to do that is either lose a lot of money or change the grade of raw materials, recent results suggest it was the latter

Let's see - you have a vehicle worth thousands of dollars, paying hundreds of dollars a year for insurance, with hundreds of dollars of dash cams installed and you're trying to save a few $20 bills on memory cards? Spend the money on quality the first time and it only hurts once, spend cheap and it hurts every time you have to replace it.

Nono I agree on the quality concerns, I'm more or less thrown because no one's knocked PNY yet and the 200 GB form factor has been neck and neck with both since I first found it a year ago.

Jokiin, what's your take on PNY? Green top gray bottom guys, 200 GB. Have three of them. They *seem* to work, but I was a guinea pig back using them back then even too.

Need to pick up more Transcend 128 GB guys regardless. Had a bunch, can only find the one now!

Nono I agree on the quality concerns, I'm more or less thrown because no one's knocked PNY yet and the 200 GB form factor has been neck and neck with both since I first found it a year ago.

Jokiin, what's your take on PNY? Green top gray bottom guys, 200 GB. Have three of them. They *seem* to work, but I was a guinea pig back using them back then even too.

Need to pick up more Transcend 128 GB guys regardless. Had a bunch, can only find the one now!
I've been using PNY 128GB cards in 2 different SG GC's since Feb. '16 with no issues.

I haven't used the current series PNY cards, the previous versions I used were very stable though

Back