30-45 minutes continuious video

• Thread starter Deleted member 2298
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2298

Looking for a dash cam that also has a mode to record 30-45 minutes continuous video with no breaks/cuts. Does such a thing exist? If so, any recommendations?

Re: 30-45 continuous video

45 is pushing it unless the bit rate is low, otherwise you'll run over the 4gb file size limit, we used to do 30 minute as an option but dropped it down to 15 as the file handling is more work for no real gain

if you turn recycling off you'll be limited by file size and storage capacity, that could be over 30 minutes at decent bitrates

even if the files are split plenty of programs can put them back together into one seamless video file

Oh. I was looking for something that could double as a gopro style camera for trackdays. 30 minutes should be enough. Any cameras able to do this?

When you stitch the video back together, isnt there still a tiny gap between segments?

dan7u said:
Oh. I was looking for something that could double as a gopro style camera for trackdays. 30 minutes should be enough. Any cameras able to do this?

plenty can do continuous recording, dashcams are better for this than a GoPro if you want to collect some basic telemetry as well

dan7u said:
When you stitch the video back together, isnt there still a tiny gap between segments?

some older cheap cameras had this problem, any decent one will do gapless recording

Any recommendations on cameras that have gapless recordings after stitched back together?

How about cameras that can do this amount of time continuously?

thanks.

dan7u said:
Any recommendations on cameras that have gapless recordings after stitched back together?

thanks.

any Ambarella chipset based camera can do gapless recording

Zoran chipsets quite often have a gap

Novatek have the opposite problem and quite often have a 1 second overlap

for continuous use recording time will be limited to file size of 4gb, how much recording that is depends on the bitrate offered, a lower bitrate will give you more time but a lower quality end result, higher bitrate will offer greater quality but you'll hit the file size limit faster, 15Mbit/sec will get you around 35 to 40 mins, lower birates will offer longer record times

One way to shoot longer videos is to reduce resolution / FPS / bit rate, if dash cam settings will allow that.

jokiin said:
dan7u said:

thanks.

any Ambarella chipset based camera can do gapless recording

Zoran chipsets quite often have a gap

Novatek have the opposite problem and quite often have a 1 second overlap

for continuous use recording time will be limited to file size of 4gb, how much recording that is depends on the bitrate offered, a lower bitrate will give you more time but a lower quality end result, higher bitrate will offer greater quality but you'll hit the file size limit faster, 15Mbit/sec will get you around 35 to 40 mins, lower birates will offer longer record times

I agree, for example all those dash cams i tested running on NT96650 they overlap 0.8-1.0 sec and this sucks ! It is very hard later on to "glue" all files at correct position to get smooth video.
Zoran Coach 12 that Panorama2 uses perfomd the best way with no gaps, but it looks like all about how good tuning has firmware.

niko said:
I agree, for example all those dash cams i tested running on NT96650 they overlap 0.8-1.0 sec and this sucks ! It is very hard later on to "glue" all files at correct position to get smooth video.
Zoran Coach 12 that Panorama2 uses perfomd the best way with no gaps, but it looks like all about how good tuning has firmware.

haven't tried any of the 1080p Zoran solutions personally, no doubt they've improved things, good firmware makes all the difference also

Any cameras on the market offering this now?

My entire experience is with a Lukas 7900 ACE. When the segments are joined together it's absolutely seamless.

thanks.
Again recommending DoD LS430W - DoD LS330W They provide fast g force data as well. The only issue you need to watch with those, is that they will be a tiny bit out of focus when your in car temp goes over 30C (well really over 40C). This can be a problem in some race cars to say the least.

Back