360 degree view

I'm wrong? YOU prove it!

You're the one who made a claim. I cannot prove a negative. You, not I, stated it was easy. Balls in your court.

P.S. from the looks of your photo it would be relatively easy to mount a side cam on your fixed glass panel, although you'd have to tolerate a small section of exposed cable where it would make the jump from your door frame gasket to the glass panel.

Pretty sure that is a very clear "I know Better" and I'm an expert here statement on a car I don't own. No words twisted.

IBTW, once again, you are putting words in my mouth. At no time have I ever said that I "know better" than anyone else. I simply stated that I've been doing dash cam installations for a very long time (with dozens of different cameras).

Congratulations. So being that you know this is so simple, it should take you about 5 minutes to show me a route on that image I posted. So I can shoot down your expertise on a car you don't own.

I'm still waiting to find out how a side camera is "easily installed".

There I did the leg work for you.....FYI that Rubber Grommet in between the doors on Picture #2 is a plug. So no wires feeding through that....Balls in your court to prove me wrong.

1629915557480.png

1629915727866.png

2015-Volvo-S60-T6-Drive-E-71.jpg

Leg work? Hah!

Not interested in engaging with you on this any further. Take your attention seeking provocations elsewhere.

BTW, the plug has nothing to do with it.

Kudos, but you're wrong. It's sad you can't even admit it. I've given you every possible photo / diagram and your best excuse, is "I'm Not Wasting my Time".

It's "OK". We're all wrong sometimes, but now you just can't admit it. We'll await your illustrious "expertise" in future threads.

FYI: Drilling a hole into the firewall of the door and having to remove the cassette wouldn't be an "easy option".

Last edited:
Kudos, but you're wrong. It's sad you can't even admit it. I've given you every possible photo / diagram and your best excuse, is "I'm Not Wasting my Time".

It's "OK". We're all wrong sometimes, but now you just can't admit it. We'll await your illustrious "expertise" in future threads.

FYI: Drilling a hole into the firewall of the door and having to remove the cassette wouldn't be an "easy option".

Enough with this patronizing crap! All you seem to know how to do is provoke and insult people here on the forum. You are basically a troll and we witness this on a daily basis from you.

And again you put words in my mouth. In fact, you obviously just make stuff up. I never said a word about drilling holes or removing "cassettes".

These kind of posts from you are exactly why I refuse to play along or engage with you any further.

If someone broadsides you, it'll get captured. If someone knocks out your window walking by, probably capture their hand but not their face. Unless bending down. For true "360" you'd need cameras mounted externally on your rearview mirrors.

It's funny, as someone who you came into this thread who has no experience with side facing cameras you made completely false and erroneous statements yet you accuse others of being "wrong". You do this quite often actually. It's a pathetic joke.

You are the one who has no idea what you are talking about. Any of the long time members here who've been running lateral facing cameras from inside their vehicles would disagree with literally everything you said in the above quote. You certainly don't need cameras mounted on rear view mirrors for "true" 360 degree coverage. Plus. you obviously didn't bother to look at the posted links of examples and other info either. Classic!

Enough with this patronizing crap! All you seem to know how to do is provoke and insult people here on the forum. You are basically a troll and we witness this on a daily basis from you.

And again you put words in my mouth. In fact, you obviously just make stuff up. I never said a word about drilling holes or removing "cassettes".

These kind of posts from you are exactly why I refuse to play along or engage with you any further.

It's funny, as someone who you came into this thread who has no experience with side facing cameras you made completely false and erroneous statements yet you accuse others of being "wrong". You do this quite often actually. It's a pathetic joke.

You are the one who has no idea what you are talking about. Any of the long time members here who've been running lateral facing cameras from inside their vehicles would disagree with literally everything you said in the above quote. You certainly don't need cameras mounted on rear view mirrors for "true" 360 degree coverage. Plus. you obviously didn't bother to look at the posted links of examples and other info either. Classic!

Actually, I stated NOT ALL vehicles supported Side Cameras. I posted a picture of a Volvo. And in your "I know everything" fashion, stated I'm wrong. I asked you to elaborate and you go off on your usual temper tantrum of "I don't have to prove myself".

Fantastic. You're wrong. I gave you the images, prove otherwise. You choose not to, and that's great.

People aren't always right. This time you are not. I OWN A SIMILAR CAR to the images I posted. Same Year just not that car.

FYI: I didn't pretend to "Know it All" here. I merely told this guy NOT every car will work with side cameras. Unless one is willing to make modifications and mount them under the rearview mirrors.

Insulting: You started off belittling me (see below). I haven't called you a name at all in this thread. I asked you to prove your stance. Instead you throw a temper tantrum like always. "He's picking on me". "He's asking me to prove my point".

Grow up!

Either answer the question or stop responding. A full page of you whining about not being wrong is PLENTY.

Funny how a guy with zero hands-on experience with something like this is handing out explanations and advice in reply to someone who has been using side cams on a vehicle's rear doors for at least eight years. In fact, as far as I am aware I was the first member on DCT to experiment with side and rear facing cameras going back to 2013. It all started with re-purposing a spare camera. Done properly, there is no "dangling cord"; it depends on where and how you place the strain relief loop. Obviously, this will depend on the particular vehicle along with your installation skills. But, like everything else, you know better, huh?

Last edited:
Actually, I stated NOT ALL vehicles supported Side Cameras. I posted a picture of a Volvo. And in your "I know everything" fashion, stated I'm wrong.

No, once again you put words in my mouth. I not only didn't say you were wrong to say that not all vehicles support side cameras, I agreed with you.

I agree that lateral facing dash cams won't be possible in all vehicles.

Stating that you don't know what you are talking about is not an insult. It was a simple truth. You don't need to have "tons of dangling cord" in order to have a strain relief loop. There must be dozens of posts here on DCT where people with rear dash cams mounted on hatchbacks do just that. What is required with a side camera on a door is simply a vertical version of the same thing where a short loop, a few inches long folds between the door and the car frame between the door gaskets.

Funny how a guy with zero hands-on experience with something like this is handing out explanations and advice in reply to someone who has been using side cams on a vehicle's rear doors for at least eight years. In fact, as far as I am aware I was the first member on DCT to experiment with side and rear facing cameras going back to 2013. It all started with re-purposing a spare camera. Done properly, there is no "dangling cord"; it depends on where and how you place the strain relief loop. Obviously, this will depend on the particular vehicle along with your installation skills. But, like everything else, you know better, huh?

I've quoted you about 10 times now. You wont read your own quotes.

I posted pictures that the SMALL MIRROR on a Volvo is furthest from the car.

You told me I WAS WRONG about a Volvo not supporting side mirrors mounted on the windows.

I don't need your Political Double Speak.

ANSWER THE QUESTION ALREADY:

Where on a 2015/2016 Volvo Side can a side facing camera be mounted? You proclaimed to have an answer, but now won't "state it".

1. Not on the Big Window - Can't roll down the Window
2. Not on the small Window - Protrudes far away from the car when door is opened
3. Can't Feed the line throw the rubber Grommet, through the door, and up to the rear window- That Rubber Grommet is Plug (not Hollow)

..... I should start a poll. Who thinks @Dashmellow will ramble on about everything else and STILL NOT ANSWER the question.

I've quoted you about 10 times now. You wont read your own quotes.

I posted pictures that the SMALL MIRROR on a Volvo is furthest from the car.

You told me I WAS WRONG about a Volvo not supporting side mirrors mounted on the windows.

I don't need your Political Double Speak.

ANSWER THE QUESTION ALREADY:

Where on a 2015/2016 Volvo Side can a side facing camera be mounted? You proclaimed to have an answer, but now won't "state it".

1. Not on the Big Window - Can't roll down the Window
2. Not on the small Window - Protrudes far away from the car when door is opened
3. Can't Feed the line throw the rubber Grommet, through the door, and up to the rear window- That Rubber Grommet is Plug (not Hollow)

..... I should start a poll. Who thinks @Dashmellow will ramble on about everything else and STILL NOT ANSWER the question.

Wait! You accused me of being wrong about how not all vehicles can work with side cams but you ignore my statement agreeing with you? Why is that?

To answer your question, it would be no big deal to run a cable along your interior running board trim, up the door frame gasket and over to the door with a strain relief loop. Maybe you lack imagination, creativity and mechanical abilities?

You are apparently addicted to conflict. It's like you get off on it. Get a grip on yourself man! Nobody is impressed with this behavior. And my gosh, we see it so often from you.

Last edited:
Wait! You accused me of being wrong about how not all vehicles can work with side cams but you ignore my statement agreeing with you? Why is that?

To answer your question, it would be no big deal to run a cable along your interior running board trim, up the door frame gasket and over to the door with a strain relief loop. Maybe you lack imagination, creativity and mechanical abilities?

You are apparently addicted to conflict. It's like you get off on it. Get a grip on yourself man! Nobody is impressed with this behavior. And my gosh, we see it so often from you.

On my Volvo S60 Yes. You accused me of "not knowing what I'm talking about".

Running the cable along the flood board won't work. Why? Because it doesn't resolve the issue of the Small Window opening with the door and being about 3 feet out once the door opens.

Attaching to the Big Window? Can't roll it down.

The ONLY possible way would be to drill a hole in the door's firewall (on each door) and then take off the cassette and feed the wire up through the gap to the window. And that's not a simple proposition and nor would i want to start drilling my doors to accomplish that.

Please take a look at those photos.

Some cars, mine included, aren't candidates for a side cam.

On my Volvo S60 Yes. You accused me of "not knowing what I'm talking about".

Running the cable along the flood board won't work. Why? Because it doesn't resolve the issue of the Small Window opening with the door and being about 3 feet out once the door opens.

Attaching to the Big Window? Can't roll it down.

The ONLY possible way would be to drill a hole in the door's firewall (on each door) and then take off the cassette and feed the wire up through the gap to the window. And that's not a simple proposition and nor would i want to start drilling my doors to accomplish that.

Please take a look at those photos.

Some cars, mine included, aren't candidates for a side cam.

It could be that your car is not a candidate for a side cam or perhaps you just lack the skills and ingenuity to do the install, in which case you're just SOOL!

Certainly, your claim that the "ONLY" possible way would be to drill a hole in the door's "firewall" is not accurate nor is the notion that you can't run a cable over to the fixed glass panel. Maybe you should consider taking your car to a professional installer where they actually know what they are doing. ;)

It could be that your car is not a candidate for a side cam or perhaps you just lack the skills and ingenuity to do the install, in which case you're just SOOL!

Certainly, your claim that the "ONLY" possible way would be to drill a hole in the door's "firewall" is not accurate nor is the notion that you can't run a cable over to the fixed glass panel. Maybe you should consider taking your car to a professional installer where they actually know what they are doing. ;)

#1 - You still haven't answered the question....Side stepping it as usual.

#2 You clearly haven't bothered looking at the photos of the Volvo I posted....Would this be too difficult? Or do you just like arguing?

If you're claiming "This is an Acceptable Option", then we have no business talking. Because I don't consider having dangling wires, the potential for wires to get slammed in the door, or a chance for the same wires to get snagged or yanked upon "acceptable?

Note: Loop would likely end up in door jam upon shutting the doors.

Back to my original statement. Unless you want exposed wires and a shoddy install fraught several points of failure, you'd have to drill into the doors firewall, then bring the wire up through the cassette and exiting to the small window.

Anything short of this is a hack job install where you're asking for the camera's cord to get yanked upon on a regular basis.

Hack Job with exposed wiring.....
exposed.png

Last edited:
I would not have exposed wires in a car that regularly host small kids, even with the fairly well "hidden" 30 cm or so wire i have from my side cameras to the "pillar" on the rear door window and down into the door.

This obviously isn't really about side cams, is it? It seems more about your habit of provoking and badgering members. As I told you yesterday, I'm not interested in spending the time to offer you a full tutorial on how to do a dash cam installations. I don't generally bother with querulous DCT members like you. When people are friendly, I'm always happy to help. When members are chronically fractious and insulting as is your habit, I'm not inclined. If you want to call it "sidestepping" that's fine with me.

Like I've said previously, if you really want side cameras (I do have my doubts) either figure it out yourself because you know your vehicle better than anyone else or hire a professorial. From the looks of your illustration above I have to reiterate my opinion that you definitely don't understand what you are talking about and that you haven't paid attention what I've already explained about this. You certainly don't want exposed cables running along your windowsill. Remember, earlier I said that a project like this requires ingenuity and common sense.

As I've also previously stated in this thread, you would run the cable up the door gasket. In many vehicles there is room to neatly tuck the cable under the door gasket. I don't know your Volvo door gaskets. If you can't tuck cable under the gasket you need to attach the cable to the door itself along the side of the gasket on one side and the door frame gasket on the other. Instead, if you wanted to, you could run the cable behind your door panel up to your fixed glass panel and this would not require drilling any holes or having any exposed cable except inside your door frame. That's all I can offer you.

Last edited:
This obviously isn't really about side cams, is it? It seems more about your habit of provoking and badgering members. As I told you yesterday, I'm not interested in spending the time to offer you a full tutorial on how to do a dash cam installations. I don't generally bother with querulous DCT members like you. When people are friendly, I'm always happy to help. When members are chronically fractious and insulting as is your habit, I'm not inclined. If you want to call it "sidestepping" that's fine with me.

Like I've said previously, if you really want side cameras (I do have my doubts) either figure it out yourself because you know your vehicle better than anyone else or hire a professorial. From the looks of your illustration above I have to reiterate my opinion that you definitely don't understand what you are talking about and that you haven't paid attention what I've already explained about this. You certainly don't want exposed cables running along your windowsill. Remember, earlier I said that a project like this requires ingenuity and common sense.

As I've also previously stated in this thread, you would run the cable up the door gasket. In many vehicles there is room to neatly tuck the cable under the door gasket. I don't know your Volvo door gaskets. If you can't tuck cable under the gasket you need to attach the cable to the door itself along the side of the gasket on one side and the door frame gasket on the other. Instead, if you wanted to, you could run the cable behind your door panel up to your fixed glass panel and this would not require drilling any holes or having any exposed cable except inside your door frame. That's all I can offer you.

I was referring to how @kamkar and others have setup their side facing cameras. Which you and I know all along was our discussion here from the beginning. - Not an option in many vehicles.

True side cameras are mounted under the mirrors and are well beyond a "Simple Process" which you stated earlier.

In your usual sidestepping manner, you're now trying to argue something neither you nor I were referring to in the beginning. True Side Cameras mounted externally under the rear view mirrors.

I would not have exposed wires in a car that regularly host small kids, even with the fairly well "hidden" 30 cm or so wire i have from my side cameras to the "pillar" on the rear door window and down into the door.

You have your side cameras facing out the small window, correct? But your small window isn't attached to the door, correct?

True side cameras are mounted under the mirrors and are well beyond a "Simple Process" which you stated earlier.

In your usual sidestepping manner, you're now trying to argue something neither you nor I were referring to in the beginning. True Side Cameras mounted externally under the rear view mirrors.

"True side cams are mounted under rear view mirrors"? That's not what the OP asked about, that's not what we've been discussing, nor what anyone has been discussing or demonstrating. For our purposes this has been about using 4 individual interior cameras and has been since I mentioned and provided examples of in post #2 of this thread. Neither the OP or my reply to him ever mentioned externally mounted cameras. Every camera the OP mentions and every camera I mentioned were interior mounted cameras facing out through the glass.

I was referring to how @kamkar and others have setup their side facing cameras.

Again, the discussion and recommendations since the first post have always been about using multiple interior mounted cameras. Kamkar simply demonstrated a version of the same technique I use but simply configured for his vehicle. In my case the cameras are installed on fixed pane windows in the doors and they've been there working just fine for many years. Why is it that you repeatedly don't pay attention?

You are the one who injected external rear view mirror cameras into the discussion with your completely incorrect remark:

For true "360" you'd need cameras mounted externally on your rearview mirrors.

You merely demonstrate your ignorance and lack of experience when you make incorrect statements like that. Nobody else in the thread even mentions such cameras.

Those of us here who have been enjoying "true" 360º coverage for years now have been doing it with four interior cams. No external review mirror cameras required. But I've already stated and demonstrated this several times now, so either you have a cognitive defect or you are merely playing games again. I suspect the latter.

Speaking of sidestepping, you've indulged in post after post asking how to do the door camera install and when I finally provide some info on how to go about it and mentioned that it requires some ingenuity and common sense you immediacy drop it like a hot potato and change the subject. And now you are back to the, "for 360º coverage you'd need cameras mounted externally on your rear view mirrors" nonsense.

Rinse, repeat, insult, change the subject. That's your MO.

You're like the guy who starts a bar fight by goading, insulting, and posturing until he's suddenly in a brawl he can't win and then immediately starts shouting “No fair!” and tries to get everyone to stop the fight and start over because of some bullsh*t rule he just made up. :ROFLMAO:

Like Quote Reply

Last edited:
Cams don't need to be mounted as the manufacturer intended. They need only 'see' through the glass from a good position, so with some ingenuity and maybe some bracketry they can be mounted to the body shell of the car. Do keep on mind car occupant safety like air bags and if an occupant might run into the rig in a crash, or whether it will interfere with persons getting in or out. They can even be mounted to the roof pillar facing the opposite side or the car (cross-cabin) although that is not optimum, but will still get a pretty good view.

Not many vehicles and supplied normal cam mounts work together ideally out-of-the-box for side-cam use, but if you think things through there's always a way to get most if not all of what you wanted. Almost nothing is impossible, just some things aren't as easy to do as others.

Phil

Cams don't need to be mounted as the manufacturer intended. They need only 'see' through the glass from a good position, so with some ingenuity and maybe some bracketry they can be mounted to the body shell of the car. Do keep on mind car occupant safety like air bags and if an occupant might run into the rig in a crash, or whether it will interfere with persons getting in or out. They can even be mounted to the roof pillar facing the opposite side or the car (cross-cabin) although that is not optimum, but will still get a pretty good view.

Not many vehicles and supplied normal cam mounts work together ideally out-of-the-box for side-cam use, but if you think things through there's always a way to get most if not all of what you wanted. Almost nothing is impossible, just some things aren't as easy to do as others.

Phil

Well the way Volvo has their S60 has their vehicle laid out, (take a peak at the pictures), there's no good path without exposing wires. And those wires (see the loop) will be dangling in the door jams, ripe for getting slammed when the door opens and closes.

There's always a way. Drilling a hole in the door, similar to the grommet with a plug, and sealing that hole, with a similar grommet. But that's not an "easy" solution. And most people aren't wanting to drill holes in their vehicle.

Again, it is possible, but not very workable in some makes and models.

Last edited:
"True side cams are mounted under rear view mirrors"? That's not what the OP asked about, that's not what we've been discussing, nor what anyone has been discussing or demonstrating. For our purposes this has been about using 4 individual interior cameras and has been since I mentioned and provided examples for in post #2 of this thread. Neither the OP or my reply to him ever mentioned externally mounted cameras. Every camera the OP mentions and every camera I mentioned were interior mounted cameras facing out through the glass.

Again, the discussion and recommendations since the first post have always been about using multiple interior mounted cameras. Kamkar simply demonstrated a version of the same technique I use but simply configured for his vehicle. In my case the cameras are installed on fixed pane windows in the doors and they've been there working just fine for many years. Why is it that you repeatedly don't pay attention?

You are the one who injected external rear view mirror cameras into the discussion with with your completely incorrect remark:

You merely demonstrate your ignorance and lack of experience when you make incorrect statements like that. Nobody else in the thread even mentions such cameras.

Those of us here who have been enjoying "true" 360º coverage for years now have been doing it with four interior cams. No external review mirror cameras required. But I've already stated and demonstrated this several times now, so either you have a cognitive defect or you are merely playing games again. I suspect the latter.

Speaking of sidestepping, you've indulged in post after post asking how to do the door camera install and when I finally provide some info on how to go about it and mentioned that it requires some ingenuity and common sense you immediacy drop it like a hot potato and change the subject. And now you are back to the, "for 360º coverage you'd need cameras mounted externally on your rear view mirrors" nonsense.

Rinse, repeat, insult, change the subject. That's your MO.

You're like the guy who starts a bar fight by goading, insulting, and posturing until he's suddenly in a brawl he can't win and then immediately starts shouting “No fair!” and tries to get everyone to stop the fight and start over because of some bullsh*t rule he just made up. :ROFLMAO:

No. You stated something and can't back it up. You told me it's possible with a "Loop". Well yes, that loop gets slammed in the door when you open and close it. Then you go on a tangent about how I wasn't talking about TRUE 360. So I said fine, true 360 is exterior mounted cameras. But in the case of @kamkar's setup, which began this discussion, has has interior mounted cameras pointing outward for "quasi 360". A setup that WILL NOT WORK well in some vehicles.

FYI: You're like a drunk in a bar that rambles and then challenges everyone's ideas with some hair brained response. The moment you are asked to explain, you bury your sorrows in alcohol, and mutter how people can all go to hell.

Seriously, you still haven't answered the question. All you do is say, "You can't make me". "I'm Not Wasting My Time Showing You How".

You know how much time you've wasted whining, moaning, and not answering the question?

Lost cause.....Seriously man....Look at the pictures, Diagrams, etc I posted. .Answer the question or move on.

Back