360 degree view

No. You stated something and can't back it up. You told me it's possible with a "Loop". Well yes, that loop gets slammed in the door when you open and close it. Then you go on a tangent about how I wasn't talking about TRUE 360. So I said fine, true 360 is exterior mounted cameras. But in the case of @kamkar's setup, which began this discussion, interior mounted mirrors pointing outward WILL NOT WORK well in some vehicles.

FYI: You're like a drunk in a bar that rambles and then challenges everyone's ideas with some hair brained response. The moment you are asked to explain, you bury your sorrows in alcohol, and mutter how people can all go to hell.

Seriously, you still haven't answered the question. All you do is say, "You can't make me". "I'm Not Wasting My Time Showing You How".

You know how much time you've wasted whining, moaning, and not answering the question?

Lost cause.....Seriously man....Look at the pictures, Diagrams, etc I posted. .Answer the question or move on.

Still at it I see. Well, of course! Why can't you devise your own clever metaphors instead of poorly copying mine with such BS? :rolleyes: Perhaps you lack creativity?

It is fascinating. You have no personal experience with any of this like many of us here on DCT do, yet you come into this thread blabbering misinformation about how the "only" way to achieve "true 360º coverage" is with external cameras mounted on the rear view mirrors and as soon as I pointed out that was simply not true you started arguing, spewing insults and repeatedly changing the subject. That's always your MO, especially with the personal insults. Well, it wasn't a tangent, it was your initial misinformation that you refuse to admit was wrong and you keep piling on the BS trying to change the discussion and make your comment go away. And here we are three days later and you are still at it. Well, bloviators like you are a predicable bunch. Where most people would simply admit their comment wasn't fully informed once it was pointed out to them, you are incapable of that. Like I said, it is clearly not about side cameras at this point. It's about your ego.

As for the answer you asked me to provide, I gave you an explanation of where and how to run your cables to do the install you have in mind. If you can't work with that info, then there's no hope for you. I have no time or interest in publishing some kind of illustrated tutorial just because you are demanding one. But again, this isn't about side cams. I'm convinced you have no intention of installing side cameras. For you it is all about conflict and arguing. That's what turns you on. I mean, I said three days ago "I agree that lateral facing dash cams won't be possible in all vehicles" but you still attack me as if I never said that.

And finally, after carefully explaining how I've had side cams installed on my vehicle's doors with a strain relief loop for eight years now with zero problems and posting a link to 360º images I achieve, YOU, who has zero hands-on experience with such things still insist that, "that loop gets slammed in the door when you open and close it". Really? How would you know? You apparently just make stuff up out of whole cloth when you don't know the answer to how things work because you need to demonstrate what a smartypants you think you are. Nothing gets "slammed", even a little. The cable just neatly folds up into the gap between the door and the door frame when closed. There is plenty of room for it. I rarely notice it or even think about it after all this time. There is always some space between the door and the body door frame because the gaskets act like a shock absorber when the door closes. You don't want metal to metal contact when you shut your car door. Please don't tell me that eight years of trouble free service from an installation technique is a statement I haven't "backed up" enough.

It obviously doesn't matter what you say that has no basis in fact. Your strategy is always, "That's my damned story and I'm stickin' to it!"

Last edited:
just curious as to why people are sticking cameras on windows when lens extension cable has been available years and a lens is easily tucked anywhere for any view/angle from the car ....
come to think of it people havnt cottoned on the lens on the cable extention can even have thin glass bonded to it and be used succesfully outside with its body and cabling sealed so a camera body can be mounted inside with the benefits of sharp clear video including easy number plate reading...

any problem can be thought through trialed and solved !!!

trick is to find the easiest neatest quickest way and thats what im payed to do in my field !!!!

just curious as to why people are sticking cameras on windows when lens extension cable has been available years and a lens is easily tucked anywhere for any view/angle from the car ....
come to think of it people havnt cottoned on the lens on the cable extention can even have thin glass bonded to it and be used succesfully outside with its body and cabling sealed so a camera body can be mounted inside with the benefits of sharp clear video including easy number plate reading...

any problem can be thought through trialed and solved !!!

trick is to find the easiest neatest quickest way and thats what im payed to do in my field !!!!

What do you mean by lens extension cables? Picture?

look up mobius lens extension cable.... it comes in different lengths and fits some other cameras and basically it allows you to take the lens out of a camera and place it a distance of the cable away in any position .

Here are two old projects I did with the Mobius remote lens extension cable. They can have many useful applications. However, unless you place the lens into some kind of protective housing, the lens module and ribbon cable are very vulnerable to damage so you need to protect them. DIY projects like this can work well for side camera use, but of course you still need to run a power cable out to the camera itself regardless of how you mount it.

look up mobius lens extension cable.... it comes in different lengths and fits some other cameras and basically it allows you to take the lens out of a camera and place it a distance of the cable away in any position .

Looks cool but still requires a cable to be run for power? At least that what youtube showed? So not sure there'd be any more versatility over a mobius than a normal dash cameras.

That aside, mobius does look like a DIY'ers paradise. Lots of different mods.

I wonder if cars could work with a system similar to house 'Powerlines'. Use existing wires that are everywhere to save feeding dedicated wires through headlining or under carpet.

Just use them to feed camera or lens footage back to a central receiver.

Just thinking out loud :)

Looks cool but still requires a cable to be run for power? At least that what youtube showed? So not sure there'd be any more versatility over a mobius than a normal dash cameras.

That aside, mobius does look like a DIY'ers paradise. Lots of different mods.
of course it needs power lol

and like i said you can mount the lens outside and have the camera body inside..
you can cut the body of camera and twist the lens so it can be worn as a bodycam..
the lens cable also fits some other cameras so you can have a lens extension on a camera with a screen...
fit the lens waterproofed externally and you ll capture number plates with ease and only need 10 frames per second.

I wonder if cars could work with a system similar to house 'Powerlines'. Use existing wires that are everywhere to save feeding dedicated wires through headlining or under carpet.

Just use them to feed camera or lens footage back to a central receiver.

Just thinking out loud :)

I'm sure it would be possible but the cam would need an active 'transmitter' so you might still need to run a power wire. I say possible, but in no way practical- insanely expensive to develop requiring larger hardware than now and in more places needing more power too :rolleyes: A wireless solution would be cheaper, easier, and need less power but been that would need power at the cams.

I do like thinking about alternatives, bu8t really we've got the best solution now: a balance of cost, reliability, performance, and longevity. We could use (and practically do) some improvements with what we've got though ;)

P)hil

I'm sure it would be possible but the cam would need an active 'transmitter' so you might still need to run a power wire. I say possible, but in no way practical- insanely expensive to develop requiring larger hardware than now and in more places needing more power too :rolleyes: A wireless solution would be cheaper, easier, and need less power but been that would need power at the cams.

I do like thinking about alternatives, bu8t really we've got the best solution now: a balance of cost, reliability, performance, and longevity. We could use (and practically do) some improvements with what we've got though ;)

P)hil

I believe they make wireless backup cameras. Where there's a transmitter. So why not wireless dash camera?

I believe they make wireless backup cameras. Where there's a transmitter. So why not wireless dash camera?
Have you watched any live stream video on a dashcam app over WiFi? That's the quality level you could hope to record wirelessly.

Have you watched any live stream video on a dashcam app over WiFi? That's the quality level you could hope to record wirelessly.

Good point. That still is acceptable quality for capture. I would be more than satisfied to have a remote camera (free of wires) send that signal to a main unit located elsewhere in the vehicle.

It'd provide enough clarity to capture an event. Which is the main reason for having a camera.

Assuming you could even get it to work reliably enough, long term.

Heat is an issue for all electronics. I would surmise that if a dash cam manufacturer created a unit where the main box can fit in the glove compartment or under the carpet, heat would probably be less of a concern. Since most failures are the result of the sun baking the main units until they reach thermal max, causing shutdown or freezes.

Putting the main box in a shaded place would maximize the long term viability of a remote / wireless based system. And making such a system two channel (one for each side window) would further increase the chances of success. Since two channel systems don't run as hot as a 3rd channel. With 3 channels being unnecessary for a side view.

I'd be happy to have a unit that does 1080P. Which is more than sufficient, further reducing heat.

Seems like this is a potential market for future dash cam development.

Heat is an issue for all electronics. I would surmise that if a dash cam manufacturer created a unit where the main box can fit in the glove compartment or under the carpet, heat would probably be less of a concern. Since most failures are the result of the sun baking the main units until they reach thermal max, causing shutdown or freezes.

Putting the main box in a shaded place would maximize the long term viability of a remote / wireless based system. And making such a system two channel (one for each side window) would further increase the chances of success. Since two channel systems don't run as hot as a 3rd channel. With 3 channels being unnecessary for a side view.

I'd be happy to have a unit that does 1080P. Which is more than sufficient, further reducing heat.

Seems like this is a potential market for future dash cam development.

WTF are you talking about? My reply to @TonyM was in regard to his post about WiFi reliability in dash cam apps. He never mentioned heat issues. That's not what causes the WiFi connectivity or video quality issues he's referring to and it is not what I was referring to.

I've often had to point out that you don't seem to pay attention to what people actually say in their posts and it bears repeating here again!

WTF are you talking about? My reply to @TonyM was in regard to his post about WiFi reliability in dash cam apps. He never mentioned heat issues. That's not what causes the WiFi connectivity or quality issues he's referring to.

I've often had to point out that you don't seem to pay attention to what people actually say in their posts and it bears repeating here again!

Your reply was in regard to Wifi Cameras as a viable option.

You pointed out a possible constraint:

1. Reliability:

Assuming you could even get it to work reliably enough, long term.

2. I added a second constraint. Heat being generated by a camera with Wifi Always enabled. Affecting long term viability and possible overheating.

Adding a few possible ways to circumvent overheating in a wifi based camera setup.

Man you make being nice hard.....Following along now?

Your reply was in regard to Wifi Cameras as a viable option.

You pointed out a possible constraint:

1. Reliability:

2. I added a second one. Heat being generated by a camera with Wifi Always enabled.

Man you make being nice hard.....Following along now?

You are not what I would consider to be a nice person. On the contrary.

Heat is not the issue with all the WiFi problems people have with dash cams. Mostly, it is reliable connectivity, bandwidth and poor video quality for actual recording . Sticking the dash cam in your glove box would certainly not help with that. So, Tony was making the point that full time wireless connectivity would be unlikely to be viable, as was I. Of course, aside from that, or any heat related issues, your notion that wireless would be the solution for dash cam installations ignores the fact that even with a wireless camera you would still need to run a cable for power, so you're back to square one.

wifi connection to a hidden remote system, like the SG9663DR, was also something i wanted to test when i got that system, but some kind of gremlin have possessed that camera so i am not able to connect to it,,,, PERIOD.
In the case of the DR it would make sense to put the wifi antenna in the wired event button, that most likely will be put somewhere in sight, but i am not aware if that is the case.

1. I'm not sure the video signal broadcast over WiFi is 1080p, it seems more like 720 on systems over tried, but I could be wrong.
2. I doubt the resolution / compression compromise of video over WiFi would record sufficient detail for evidence.

I'd rather have a microSD slot in the remote camera and record locally. Oh wait, I already have a Mobius that can do that. No need to connect it all to a single main unit.

You are not what I would consider to be a nice person. On the contrary.

Heat is not the issue with all the WiFi problems people have with dash cams. Mostly, it is reliable connectivity, bandwidth and poor video quality for actual recording . Sticking the dash cam in your glove box would certainly not help with that. So, Tony was making the point that full time wireless connectivity would be unlikely to be viable, as was I. Of course, aside from that, or any heat related issues, your notion that wireless would be the solution for dash cam installations ignores the fact that even with a wireless camera you would still need to run a cable for power, so you're back to square one.

1. Well, we'll beg to differ here as you are often argumentative and cannot be reasoned with....

2. Back to the original point. Running wires to a vehicle with an inaccessible place to mount side cameras necessitates a remote setup. You would still have to hardwire the "Main Unit" receiving and processing the feed to the remote cameras. The main unit is what would go in the glove box or under the dash board. Not the actual camera of course!

Heat is an issue on some cameras when utilizing wifi long term. As it does require the processor to work harder. Thereby, it does degrade the video quality in some models, too.

Wireless home security cameras utilize rechargeable cameras. Sure, batteries aren't the best option in a hot enclosed car. And lipo batteries degrade over time. However, it would still be an "option" to negate the need for running a wire on a remote dash cam setup. Where the cameras can detach from the mount for recharging as needed. Or utilize a watch battery or other option if recharging isn't the best resolution.

Remote viewing through wifi isn't horrible. The image you get from viewing a Viofo (129 / A139) and other cameras I've tested is "acceptable". Not crystal clear but good enough to capture an event.

A. Let's say a person RAMS their door into you car door. Ideally, the front and rear cameras would capture that vehicle in detail as it pulled out and drove away. Merely capturing the event is important, even if not in high resolution.

B. Someone keys your car. Again, capturing the event is crucial. Your front and rear cameras would then offer better resolution at catching the suspect.

Viofos and other cameras are generally able to send a 5g feed within the vehicle without issue. We're not talking long distances.

Back