380GWX annoying noise

PhilMcL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a 380GWX front & rear cameras dealer fitted on new Kia Picanto.
It appears to work fine except that there is an annoying 3 note pinging sound that sometimes happens every 5 to 10 secs or so but sometimes may be silent for 10 mins and sometimes does not happen.
So far, all with out success:
Dealer has changed front camera.
Nextbase suggested disconnecting rear camera to see if it was rear camera fault. No change.
I have reformatted card.
I have replaced card with brand new one
I have updated to latest firmware version
I have also discovered that although the video clip length is set to default 1 min, the actual video clips are mostly very short, between 2 secs and 10 secs and only the occasional clip at 30 secs.
I wondered if the the pinging noise is associated with the G sensor which is currently set at the default of medium, so turned off G sensor making no difference.
Nextbase do not seem to have an answer, although I suspect the customer services have no technical knowledge.
I can stop the noise by turning off sounds in settings, but I want to know what the issue is as I feel the system is not working as it should.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I have a sound file but cannot attach it

Is it the same sound you get when starting up? If it is, it could be unstable power.

The 1s/2s issue can occur even with g-sensor off from my experience, probably a faulty camera hardware, have they changed the base as well and rewired it all ?

I am enquiring if base was changed. As its hidden hard wired the lead back to power source will not have been changed

The ding ding ding sound your hearing is the camera starting to record, ie the same sound you hear when you first start the car. I checked the app and it showed that the recordings were only lasting a few seconds. After reformatting the SD card then renewing it, updating firmware etc, the unit was still making the sound. I did however find the solution.
I unplugged the rear camera and the noise stopped and the recordings were lasting 1 minute per file as per normal operation.
I informed the dealer who fitted it who commented that there has been an issue with the 380gwx doing this. They renewed both the front and rear facing units and this has solved the problem.

The ding ding ding sound your hearing is the camera starting to record, ie the same sound you hear when you first start the car. I checked the app and it showed that the recordings were only lasting a few seconds. After reformatting the SD card then renewing it, updating firmware etc, the unit was still making the sound. I did however find the solution.
I unplugged the rear camera and the noise stopped and the recordings were lasting 1 minute per file as per normal operation.
I informed the dealer who fitted it who commented that there has been an issue with the 380gwx doing this. They renewed both the front and rear facing units and this has solved the problem.
Post number 3, they say that it is not the starting sound.

Many thanks. Eventually got Nextbase to admit it is a common problem but they dont know what is causing it.
Solution is to replace both rear camera and cable to it.
Dealer has experienced it before and has replaced both parts for me.

Ah glad to hear it ! Probably a faulty batch of hardware if the only solution is to replace it. So does it work now ?

Back