3m VHB separated from the 9665GC mounting plate!

Damn Dirty Ape

Reaction score
Country
United States
Came out to my car to take a lunch and found my 9665GC hanging by it's power/GPS wires. Thought that was odd but the reason was not what I thought originally - the 3m vhb was still on the window.

The plate I have was new when installed so I'm at a bit of a loss here really how it 'let go' of the mounting plate. It's about 85f today, about 10f cooler than all of last week. Car is garaged in the evening/night.

Anywhere to get this 'vhb' material? All I see at advance/oreilly/autozone on their sites is the regular gray rolls about 1/4" to 1/2\" wide.

Came out to my car to take a lunch and found my 9665GC hanging by it's power/GPS wires. Thought that was odd but the reason was not what I thought originally - the 3m vhb was still on the window.

The plate I have was new when installed so I'm at a bit of a loss here really how it 'let go' of the mounting plate. It's about 85f today, about 10f cooler than all of last week. Car is garaged in the evening/night.

Anywhere to get this 'vhb' material? All I see at advance/oreilly/autozone on their sites is the regular gray rolls about 1/4" to 1/2\" wide.
You can purchase it as well at Home Depot. I have used the clear they sell there and it adheres very well. Also can be found there is a stronger 3M VHB tape as well. Prices are very good.

Edit:
These are found near the paint department where the painting supplies are located.

You can purchase it as well at Home Depot. I have used the clear they sell there and it adheres very well. Also can be found there is a stronger 3M VHB tape as well. Prices are very good.

I see an 'extreme' tape but it isn't referenced as the vhb, and don't see a clear one. Do you have a model # I can maybe search off of? thank you

Thin or Thick mount? (Grey or Black?) There should be a spare in the box

I'll send you a free replacement no problem. I'm not sure what happened since we have no other reports of the latest 3M VHB adhesive pads/mounts having issues. The original first production thick mounts had a waffle pattern and was replaced with a new solid version. 2nd production should be good to go.

Thin or Thick mount?

I'll send you a free replacement no problem. I'm not sure what happened since we have no other reports of the latest 3M VHB adhesive pads/mounts having issues. The original first production thick mounts had a waffle pattern and was replaced with a new solid version. 2nd production should be good to go.

Thanks - I was surprised when it wasn't the tape letting go of the glass - the plate I have there is a smooth finish so it is a 2nd run. rubbing the edges of the tape to get it rolling for removal was a bit of a task, it was definitely stuck tight there for sure.

I see an 'extreme' tape but it isn't referenced as the vhb, and don't see a clear one. Do you have a model # I can maybe search off of? thank you
The better solution of course, is from @Pier28. I just have the tape and not the packaging. So any model or any kind of ID is gone. It is always there when I go into my local Home Depot. Good Luck!

If the 3M VHB wasn't initially applied properly or there was some dust, grease or other contaminant on the surface it was applied to it can fail like that. The literature from 3M often talks a lot about surface preparation and they have a whole page on their website titled Surface Preparation for 3M™ VHB™ Tape Applications that readers of this post may find useful. Basically, they recommend cleaning the surface the tape is going to be applied to with a 50:50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water prior to applying 3M VHB and using a roller to apply pressure. Then wait for full adhesion for the bond to hold. At room temperature approximately 50% of ultimate bond strength will be achieved after 20 minutes, 90% after 24 hours and 100% after 72 hours.

If the 3M VHB wasn't initially applied properly or there was some dust, grease or other contaminant on the surface it was applied to it can fail like that. The literature from 3M often talks a lot about surface preparation and they have a whole page on their website titled Surface Preparation for 3M™ VHB™ Tape Applications that readers of this post may find useful. Basically, they recommend cleaning the surface the tape is going to be applied to with a 50:50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water prior to applying 3M VHB and using a roller to apply pressure. Then wait for full adhesion for the bond to hold. At room temperature approximately 50% of ultimate bond strength will be achieved after 20 minutes, 90% after 24 hours and 100% after 72 hours.
Very informative, thanks :)

Back