How to remove write protection to reformat SD card in SG9665GC?

peterharvey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a pair of StreetGuardian SG9665GC's.
The front dashcam suddenly repeatedly cycled with a warning chime over and over.
I had to remove the micro SD card and do a Quick Format in my desktop computer.
I reinserted, and all is good, though the dashcam had to do its own quick reformat too.

However, the same repeated cycling occurred to the rear SG9665GC dashcam.
I tried to desktop quick format, but the desktop said that the micro SD card was write protected.
How can I overcome the write protection to reformat the micro SD card so that it can once again function in my SG9665GC?

The SG9665GC doesn’t have a rear camera. I think maybe you list the wrong model number.

It sounds like a bad memory card. The DashCam won’t have anything to do with write protecting the card.

If you’re using the microSD to SD adapter it’s possible you have the lever switched to read only mode. Slide the switch the other way

A memory card can lock itself in read only mode, to at least save the data on itself.
This can not be removed, so if that happned it is time ´for a new memory card, but it sould like you would be wise to get a new card for both camera, how old are your cameras / memory cards ?

The SG9665GC doesn’t have a rear camera. I think maybe you list the wrong model number.

It sounds like a bad memory card. The DashCam won’t have anything to do with write protecting the card.

If you’re using the microSD to SD adapter it’s possible you have the lever switched to read only mode. Slide the switch the other way

I deliberately mounted the October 2016 SG9665GC to the rear windscreens of two of my sedans, and an SGZC12RC to the rear windscreen of a third sedan so that it could fit under the motorised rear sunshade.
Fortunately, I found out that I had accidentally pushed the micro SD card adapter's write protection switch to the bottom left, such that it was write-protected, but all good now.

A memory card can lock itself in read only mode, to at least save the data on itself.
This can not be removed, so if that happned it is time ´for a new memory card, but it sould like you would be wise to get a new card for both camera, how old are your cameras / memory cards ?

On the SG9665GC, there are five buttons along the bottom of the LCD.
The central button is larger to "mark" the video clip.
If I pressed that mark button, then does that write-protect the video clip so that the micro SD card cannot be reformatted by a desktop?

Also, do any of you experts know if these old 2016 SG9665GC's and SGZC12RC's are compatible use the WD Purple 256 GB micro SD cards in case I have to purchase new cards?

Last edited:
The old WD purple card, i have one of those curtsey of the late Rick / jokiin, it is still rocking hard, but they are no longer made, the new WD purple cards are stamped QD101 and dont have the same high read / write speeds.

The event button just lock the file or files on SG cameras, i really like they lock 2 files, CUZ then you have plenty before and after locked, they are put in the RO ( Read Only ) folder where they are safe from the automated deletion regime that kick in the the card are full.
The only way to get rid of them ( event files ) are to delete them 1 by one manual, or format the memory card in the dashcam or on a computer.
If you can not format the memory card or say copy something to it, then it is in read only mode triggered by the controller on the memory card, and that is a pretty normal thing memory cards do if the hit a more problematic issue.
I personally use the manual event button a lot to save things in traffic i want to share, as it is the only events my camera make as no one hit me while parked, and i otherwise do not use G-sensor bad roads can trigger, well i have event files going back many months.
Actually when i pull new files off the memory card i have to look at my last upload as i can not remember what footage i have already used once.
The newer SG cameras assign X ammount of the storage space for event, and when that is fill if a new event happen it will delete the oldest there, but fear not on a adequate sized memory card it is absolutely no problem, unless G-sensor or you pressing that button happen all the time.

I am not sure if the old GC model support the purple card, but i sort of think it would, it is more a issue of if it support the 256 GB size of the card, back when i tested the SG9665GC the only cards i had was 64 and 128 GB.
But for sure wait for a official SG reply on this, its been so long since i had the GC going, which was in 2012 or 2013.

Testing various SG cameras over the years i found them to not be fuzzy with memory cards like other brands can be.
And there are also the " off " memory cards which i have gotten a few off lately.
The Adata high endurance and the new white Sansung evo pro and the Trancend ultra performance, all are problematic in most cameras i have tried them in, even if they all have nice fast read / write speeds, as a kicker thiugh all 3 of these problem cards work just fine in the Vantrue E2 system i am testing, but also only there, and my action camera.

Another card you might want to consider is this one, i have used it for a few years in 128 GB, and i can not recall it not working in any cameras, as a bonus it have warranty for when used in dashcams.
It is the latest card i have added to my 256GB memory card collection.
premier-pro-jpg.64494

Last edited:
I had 2, back then expensive 64 GB memory cards die on me, i barely got to fill the 2 cards just 1 time.
That was a fast PNY card, and the black and gold Trancend ultra performance, i did get both swapped out though.
But just go to show, even the best brand / models memory cards will flip you off now and then.

Last edited:
The old WD purple card, i have one of those curtsey of the late Rick / jokiin, it is still rocking hard, but they are no longer made, the new WD purple cards are stamped QD101 and dont have the same high read / write speeds.

I am not sure if the old GC model support the purple card, but i sort of think it would, it is more a issue of if it support the 256 GB size of the card, back when i tested the SG9665GC the only cards i had was 64 and 128 GB.
But for sure wait for a official SG reply on this, its been so long since i had the GC going, which was in 2012 or 2013.

Testing various SG cameras over the years i found them to not be fuzzy with memory cards like other brands can be.
And there are also the " off " memory cards which i have gotten a few off lately.
The Adata high endurance and the new white Sansung evo pro and the Trancend ultra performance, all are problematic in most cameras i have tried them in, even if they all have nice fast read / write speeds, as a kicker thiugh all 3 of these problem cards work just fine in the Vantrue E2 system i am testing, but also only there, and my action camera.

Another card you might want to consider is this one, i have used it for a few years in 128 GB, and i can not recall it not working in any cameras, as a bonus it have warranty for when used in dashcams.
It is the latest card i have added to my 256GB memory card collection.

I think I can handle the slower read/write speeds of the new WD Purple cards.
Esp because I don't think the ageing old SG9665GC's can read/write that fast anyway?

(1)
My SG9665GC's are compatible with Samsung's EVO 256 GB, so would the SG9665GC be compatible with WD Purple 256 GB too?

(2)
On another note.
I put my reformatted Sandisk Ultra 200 GB back into the rear windscreen mounted SG9665GC, and now every minute or so, it repeatedly makes a melody with the LCD turning on, but without requesting the card be reformatted - so I wonder if anything is wrong?

(3)
Nowadays, Samsung makes an Endurance card too with 256 GB.
I wonder if it is any good in SG9665GC?

wd-purple-microsd-front-256gb-WDD256G1P0A.png.thumb_.1280.1280-600x600.png

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Attachments

• wd-purple-microsd-front-256gb-WDD256G1P0A.png.thumb_.1280.1280-600x600.png
    wd-purple-microsd-front-256gb-WDD256G1P0A.png.thumb_.1280.1280-600x600.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Better make sure, as even if memory cards are cheaper now, a 256Gb card are not cheap.

I am a bit miffed about the three 256 GB cards i have that dont work in very many cameras, and not least the fact i pretty much got them all in a row.

Back