4G live stream dash cam

Nigel Chow

Reaction score
Country
China
Hello everyone .
This is Nigel from AU.
I am a dash camera hardware engineer.

Nice to meet you all , so gald that i can find this forum, Many thanks to this forum makers.

My team and i are developing a new dash camera.
And now we are a little bit confused about the functions of our product.

Just because we have made the camera a little bit complex ,and now we want to make it become more
suitable for the users but without the idea in our mind.

For the reason is almost every function in our designation is important ,
but when they gather together , it become complex.

SO we want to looking for ideas from the dash camera users ,
You will be very appricated if you can help us out of this situation.

Here are some functions in our camera :

1. The 4G live streaming function

The camera has the 4G live streaming function , you can use the app to see the environment around the car every moment you want.
Also can live streaming in FB and Youtube.

2. GPS function
GPS navigation and driving track playback , and with the GPS GEO fencing ,will alarm when the car out of the GEO fencing.

3. Voice intercom

--END

We have been discuess several times about these three functions.

Are there any other functions can add to the dash cam?
And how about the shape of the dash cam?
Dash board one or rear view mirror one?

Hope you can give me your suggestions.

Or if you have any new ideas you can tell us , because we use the Adnroid system in our product.
If we take your idea in to account we promise we will give you a secret BIG supprise.

Thanks in advance.
Nigel

Last edited:
hi nigel, thanks for this notice :)

I suggest to you other function:

- share internet connection of dashcam as hotspot if possible
- make history of speed and position gps for every day into text file (report text file)
- function to allow transfer (copy or move) file saved into samba share when connected to private network where there is nas with protocol samba. (
the function should be able to allow automatic transfer at the end of the day or when it automatically connects to a specific name network.
(scenario: in the evening when I get home, the cam connects to my wifi network and automatically downloads the files saved locally, in a samba network folder)
)

For other functions I think about it and then I tell you.

hi nigel, thanks for this notice :)

I suggest to you other function:

- share internet connection of dashcam as hotspot if possible
- make history of speed and position gps for every day into text file (report text file)
- function to allow transfer (copy or move) file saved into samba share when connected to private network where there is nas with protocol samba. (
the function should be able to allow automatic transfer at the end of the day or when it automatically connects to a specific name network.
(scenario: in the evening when I get home, the cam connects to my wifi network and automatically downloads the files saved locally, in a samba network folder)
)

For other functions I think about it and then I tell you.
Hello My friend.
Thanks for you kind suggestions.
1. as the hotspot , we have already add it from the beginning.
2.Our dash camera with this record function and people can download the video and the GPS message from the server.

The functions you told me we have already added, but we still thanks for your help.

Any other questions or suggestions ,just feel free to tell us and we will be so willing to discuess with you. :- )

Hi, thanks for the feedback.
I have thinked to other function:
if possible the dashcam with vision 360° (as samsung gear 360 style) for the car that stay into the parking or possibibly that to connect other 3/4 dashcam to the main dashcam 4g.

Thanks.

Live stream, How does this work, does the camera take a sim card or does it connect to the driver's phone via wifi-hotspot? I see the appeal of this feature but it has a major negative point:

When looking at pre-recorded dashcam footage for upload, you get to choose what you can or can't upload, and also things you might record that you know you shouldn't upload, and things that may need editing, like a graphic car crash. Things that should be kept private and shared only with the involved people/authorities

Imagine live-streaming to facebook/youtube, a graphic car crash showing a death of a young child (or anyone really), or even yourself, for all your friends to see?

Also, Intercom, do you mean voice commands?

Hello everyone .
This is Nigel from AU.
I am a dash camera hardware engineer.

Nice to meet you all , so gald that i can find this forum, Many thanks to this forum makers.

My team and i are developing a new dash camera.
And now we are a little bit confused about the functions of our product.

Just because we have made the camera a little bit complex ,and now we want to make it become more
suitable for the users but without the idea in our mind.

For the reason is almost every function in our designation is important ,
but when they gather together , it become complex.

SO we want to looking for ideas from the dash camera users ,
You will be very appricated if you can help us out of this situation.

Here are some functions in our camera :

1. The 4G live streaming function

The camera has the 4G live streaming function , you can use the app to see the environment around the car every moment you want.
Also can live streaming in FB and Youtube.

2. GPS function
GPS navigation and driving track playback , and with the GPS GEO fencing ,will alarm when the car out of the GEO fencing.

3. Voice intercom

--END

We have been discuess several times about these three functions.

Are there any other functions can add to the dash cam?
And how about the shape of the dash cam?
Dash board one or rear view mirror one?

Hope you can give me your suggestions.

Or if you have any new ideas you can tell us , because we use the Adnroid system in our product.
If we take your idea in to account we promise we will give you a secret BIG supprise.

Thanks in advance.
Nigel

The form of the dashcam is of high importance so as not to attract theft. Being able to mount the cam for front and separate one for rear discreetly is also of high importance. For me, the main aspect of the cam is to be able to view what the cam is seeing at all times especially when my car is parked. I currently have a Thinkware F800 Pro and am disappointed that it does not have this capability. I will be very interested when you release your dashcam.

Hello friend,
sorry for the late reply. a little bit busy these days.
no , we just have two camera in on the dash camera , front side and the back side.
with the vision like the samsung gear 360 style , we have took this into account before, because we also produce the panoramic camera.
but at last we deleted this.

" possibibly that to connect other 3/4 dashcam to the main dashcam 4g." i am sorry about this sentence.
what is it mean ? bro.
Hi, thanks for the feedback.
I have thinked to other function:
if possible the dashcam with vision 360° (as samsung gear 360 style) for the car that stay into the parking or possibibly that to connect other 3/4 dashcam to the main dashcam 4g.

Thanks.

Live stream, How does this work, does the camera take a sim card or does it connect to the driver's phone via wifi-hotspot? I see the appeal of this feature but it has a major negative point:

When looking at pre-recorded dashcam footage for upload, you get to choose what you can or can't upload, and also things you might record that you know you shouldn't upload, and things that may need editing, like a graphic car crash. Things that should be kept private and shared only with the involved people/authorities

Imagine live-streaming to facebook/youtube, a graphic car crash showing a death of a young child (or anyone really), or even yourself, for all your friends to see?

Also, Intercom, do you mean voice commands?
Thanks for your reply , my friend.
We insert the 4G sim card into the camera that can make it connect to the service.
As for the pre-recoreded video , we do make the app provide the function that people can choose the time period of the video they want to download.

And your suggestion is good , we did not consider this situation before,now i will discuess with my team about this.
Thank you in advance ,my friend.

Furthermore , the intercom means that users can use the app talk with the driver. not the voice commands.
but we will ad this in the future, because our dash cam with the microphone.

Hello @Nigel Chow,

I appreciate your approach of asking feedback from experienced users. I am more than a year on this forum, but bought a dashcam only 2 months ago and I have following comments / queries / suggestions:
1. As it is a streaming camera, I guess there isn't any screen! Is there?
2. Without a screen, the camera can be made quite invisible - I like Mobius form-factor. Or even smaller?
3. I have read horror stories of slow transfer rates - I hope this will go away with advancements in network capabilities. But what is your comment?
4. Parked near one's home, if the car battery is powering the dashcam, I guess, it can keep connected to a system in the home through home wifi and give alarm if something happens to the car!
5. Even elsewhere, I guess that the camera will remain in touch with owner's smart-phone. But will it keep sending the clips all the time? This will fill the memory of the smart-phone? Or the App in smartphone will do the loop recording (using same space, over and over)?
6. I love the IRVM mounted dashcam more, as it is not easily visible from outside and inside. However, will the distance of the camera-lens from the wind-screen cause any optical / image problem as against the usual position where camera-lens is very close to the windscreen (mounted on the glass itself)?
7. Each of the camera unit (front & rear) may have two cameras (looking in opposite direction) to cover inside & outside. I am suggesting this, because, without a screen, you have margin to add some extra hardware.

I don't know much about the modern gadgets like smartphones, but hope that this feedback may be of some help.

Ravi_M

I will break down in what I would like/think hardware/software.

HARDWARE:

Mini/micro usb port (usb3 if possible) (with kernel modules to support for a hub expansion and various devices) This can be very useful for a number of devices from custom wifi point to additional Bluetooth, backup to disk (faster than wifi), additional camera, adapters for automation and home automation, etc.

HDMI live view port – especially with rear view camera, for anything from parking to expansion to a digital rear-view mirror for cars with back clear view.

Bluetooth if your hardware platform has it, just enable it (some platforms, they have it disabled even the hardware supports it) this could be useful for something like remote Bluetooth button, to trigger stuff manual recording, etc

Enable WOW(wake on wireless lan) or Bluetooth, if your hardware supports it – useful to wake up the camera while home/parking, say to either monitor or for backup purpose,

Ability to change lenses/ add filter(polarization)

SOFTWARE:

Customizable, standard streaming, in a sense of being supported by various remote clients and adjustable resolution to reduce bandwidth, lag.

Ability to backup your records on schedule or demand over home wifi to a NAS or desktop.

Actually, on the software side, I think the most important will be to open up your software, both on the camera and remote client. The more open your software is (ideally all open source), the community developers you will attract to work improving you app continuously and expanding the functionality to the actual limits of the hardware. This will give you a significant advantage over the competition without you having to engage any major resources. And if your business model cannot work on all open source, you should at least provide an api interface or sdk and open up as much as possible.

SUMMARY: I think, let aside hardware capabilities such as resolution, processing power, bitrate, etc – most limitation of dash cameras on the market are actually due to either lack of hardware expansion (as simple exposing some extra connectivity ports) or software capabilities – provide this options to the customers and thinker and you will have a popular.

An intercom where an app user can talk with the driver? where is the app user, are they away from the vehicle?

Would the dashcam record their conversations?!

As the camera would have a sim, this basically means it's a hands free kit. I personally think this is a feature a person would rather not have, and instead pay less.

As the camera would have a sim, this basically means it's a hands free kit. I personally think this is a feature a person would rather not have, and instead pay less.

when you already have a mic, speaker and a 4G connection having this function wouldn't add any cost

when you already have a mic, speaker and a 4G connection having this function wouldn't add any cost

Correct, but it wouldn't necessarily prevent a manufacturer/retailer choosing to charge the customer more for the "feature"

Correct, but it wouldn't necessarily prevent a manufacturer/retailer choosing to charge the customer more for the "feature"

that's more likely in some of the more recognised brand names where they sell crippled lower spec models and charge more for higher spec versions when they are based on the same hardware anyway

" possibibly that to connect other 3/4 dashcam to the main dashcam 4g." i am sorry about this sentence.
what is it mean ? bro.
Is a function that to allow to use 4 cam instead 2 (front and rear). I would like to have 4 cam for cover all sides of my car. (The front and read are enough only for incident, but for parking step, useful to have other 2 cam).

If you want to talk me of your model dashcam 360 (even into private) i like it for example the price and the functions (battery duration, support for glass of car etc). Thanks.

I have suggested a way of daisy chaining in modules, this mean a system could then be expanded with alarm ( theft-robbery ) - more cameras - a 4/5G router and so on.
Dont have to be a indefinite number of modules, i think if you could have 3-4 modules it would be able to cover any scenario i can think off a mere mortal driver / car owner would ever need.
This to me also mean that what is essiecial a consumer product, could be upgraded with modules to give a professional setup, for instance a tracking and what not setup for the transport industry, so the company can always get in contact with the driver and update him with whatever over the phone module, and the company could view / DL any event files from the camera part, maybe log from the reefer that's being hauled, maybe a robbery alarm, ASO
And the consumer could do the same upping his setup with the modules he would like.

I am not sure what kind of protocol you would need to tie all this together, but i am sure something are already out there, or can be made by a person with the right skills.

But as so often before i am way ahead of the curve here.

said it before and I'll say it again :D

sv.jpg
Not very cheap I would imagine though :D

Sure, just do what google do and let some tax payers in some country finance it.

Back