70mai S500 Dash Camera review, Sony Starvis 2 in a mirror form-factor?

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai A510 + S500, A229 Pro + VS1, N4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3
70mai are well-known for their releases in the last few years with the first Sony Starvis 2 4K solution in the A810, and also the innovative rotating Omni. They're back at it again with the S500, the first time a Starvis 2 sensor has been seen from any brand in a rear-view mirror. Let's explore what this dashcam is all about.

70mai S500 (SigmaStar 8826Q, Sony Starvis 2 IMX675, SmartSens SC200AI) Review

IMG_20240413_201333882~2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firmware: V1.1.23ww.2024.01.17. This is the firmware version loaded onto the device from the factory - I did not receive any further updates during the testing period.

App for testing: Android version 3.5.7, obtained from Google Play Store.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The verdict:

It has been a number of years since I've used a rear-view mirror dashcam. Although it was aeons ago, it felt more like a novelty to me that a camera could be integrated into a mirror solution. However, with the 70mai S500, I've come around to the idea of a mirror dashcam and how it can help road users. A lot of users may not have the funds for a newer car purchase, in which case the S500 brings them forward with today's technological dashcam advancements.

70mai should be commended for implementing a Starvis 2 solution in a simple touchscreen display package. It's not just a pretty face - it has the video quality to backup its intentions.

My nitpickings:

• App options are a little barebones in comparison to its competitors (would have preferred options to include plate number, flip rear camera orientation etc). Also, why do I have to sign-up for an account just to connect to the dashcam?
  • Rear camera sensor doesn't perform the best at night - but I'm sure that in coming years waterproof Starvis 2 solutions will come to market
  • Niggly bugs - had a couple of instances where the camera would not power on, and also forgot my last saved camera view
  • May not make as much sense for newer vehicles with ADAS hardware stalks on the front windshield, as this can obstruct the recorded view

The positive:

• Clean form factor in a well-designed retail package
  • Decent video quality from the Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 sensor, sets a precedent for rear-view mirror dashcams going forward
  • Clear and crisp display that isn't too reflective, with many options such as re-positioning and multi-view
  • Ambient light sensor works very well in all lighting conditions, adapting quickly
  • Heat dissipation solution works well (supercapacitor not battery), as the S500 doesn't overheat even with high ambient temperatures
  • Rear-camera parking assist lines work well with the rear RC13 camera

Last edited:
70mai S500 Dash Camera sample footage:

Daytime Footage (front): 2.5K max bitrate, HDR on:

Daytime Footage (rear): 1080p max bitrate, HDR on:

Night Footage (front): 2.5K max bitrate, HDR on:

Night Footage (rear): 1080p max bitrate, HDR on:

Last edited:
Hi
is the night time footage better than on S1 Pro thank you

One benefit (or drawback?) of having account logon in 70mai app is that - the connected devices come with the account. So that when you logon to 70mai app from a new phone, you see you cams there in the new phone.
The true drawback is - you cannot logon with the same account on two phones at the same time.

Hi
is the night time footage better than on S1 Pro thank you
For front camera I would say so yes, owing to bitrates and the like. Rear camera definitely not. I haven't done a direct comparison so would be interesting to see....

One benefit (or drawback?) of having account logon in 70mai app is that - the connected devices come with the account. So that when you logon to 70mai app from a new phone, you see you cams there in the new phone.
The true drawback is - you cannot logon with the same account on two phones at the same time.
This is true but to be honest how many folks are going to have multiple dashcams. I think that number would be in the very very slight minority. The account creation linkage with Google didn't even work correctly when I set it up either :(

Just as a quick follow-up, there has been no further global firmware updates released since the last v1.1.23ww, dated January 2024.

Have searched online and this appears to have been backed up by other publications. As such, my views and conclusions on the S500 remain unchanged at this time.

Back