7500 mAh / 96 Wh - BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 / BlackVue B-130X / Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95

Thank you.
What's the 4th (far right) pin used for?

Attachments

• 4th Pin .png
    4th Pin .png
    729.1 KB · Views: 3
Thank you.
What's the 4th (far right) pin used for?
I've not found a documented use for the fourth pin in that connector. All of the EGEN created cables only use the left three pins. The cigarette lighter adapter connector (#1 constant and #3 ground) and the 3-wire hardwiring cables (#1 constant, #2 accessory, #3 ground).

I've not found a documented use for the fourth pin in that connector. All of the EGEN created cables only use the left three pins. The cigarette lighter adapter connector (#1 constant and #3 ground) and the 3-wire hardwiring cables (#1 constant, #2 accessory, #3 ground).
I measured the voltage between the 4th pin, and ground.
I got a fluctuating, wondering stray voltage.

I ran two different high amp charging tests for the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8. Yesterday's test was using the product provided 16 AWG charging cable. Today's test was using a 12 AWG charging cable that I created.
  • 16 AWG Charging Cable
    • Max Cable Temp = 112.4F/44.6C
    • Max Amps = 9.741
  • 12 AWG Charging Cable
    • Max Cable Temp = 84.1F/28.9C
    • Max Amps = 9.144
16 AWG Cable Chart
pc8_high_charge_16awg_cable_20221230_chart.png

12 AWG Cable Chart
pc8_high_charge_12awg_cable_20221231_chart.png

Very nice.
That is a considerable temperature reduction 28℉ (16℃).

Also the reduced peak amp draw is a pleasant unintended consequence.
Replacing the included 16AWG charge cable with 12AWG seems like a no brainer.
I hope Broseph @BlackboxMyCar sees this.
-Chuck

Could you please test if uncoiling the cables makes any difference to the heat generation or amp draw.

Could you please test if uncoiling the cables makes any difference to the heat generation or amp draw.
I wanted to run a discharge test of the Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95. Since its charge level was at a fully depleted state, I decided to try uncoiling the 14 AWG charge cable to see if there were different results from the previous test with the cable coiled up. I understand there might be a cooler temp, but the amp level also slightly decreased.
  • High Amp Charge Test
    • Previous test with coiled up 14 AWG charge cable
      • Max amps = 8.335
      • Max temp = 90.2F/32.3C
      • Charging Time = 1 hour 9 minutes
    • This test with uncoiled 14 AWG charge cable
      • Max amps = 8.293
      • Max temp = 82.9F/28.2C
      • Charging Time = 1 hour 10 minutes
I haven't had the time to piece together a full video of this test, but here's the way I staged the charge cable and a thermal image with the max temp during the high amp charge cycle:

1672645277269.png 1672645397796.png

Last edited:
First off, thanks for the suggestion of testing the charging cycle with the charging cable uncoiled. It does make a difference in the max temperature since the cable housing has access to additional room air which allows it to dissipate heat more efficiently.

I ran another high amp charging test using the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 with its 16 AWG charging cable. This time I uncoiled the charging cable.
  • Previous test with coiled up 16 AWG charge cable
    • Max amps = 9.741
    • Max temp = 112.4F/44.6C
    • Charging Time = 1 hour 2 minutes
  • This test with uncoiled 16 AWG charge cable
    • Max amps = 9.631
    • Max temp = 93.2F/34.0C
    • Charging Time = 1 hour 3 minutes
The max amps and charging time didn't really change, but the max cable temp was reduced by 19.2F / 10.6C. An installation of this battery pack with its 16 AWG charging cable would very likely have a large portion of the cable covered by interior vehicle body panels and/or carpet. The realistic max temp is likely somewhere in the middle of these two test samples depending on how much of the cable is exposed to air.

1672687828825.png 1672687854402.png

Last edited:
In the previous two posts, I added the links to the videos showing the uncoiled charging cable tests.

Very nice.
That is a considerable temperature reduction 28℉ (16℃).

Also the reduced peak amp draw is a pleasant unintended consequence.
Replacing the included 16AWG charge cable with 12AWG seems like a no brainer.
I hope Broseph @BlackboxMyCar sees this.
-Chuck
Hey guys, noted. Great work @rcg530! Love the passion and testing you're putting into the PowerCell 8. We'll be back in the office on the 4th so will read the thread in detail then :)

Hey guys, noted. Great work @rcg530! Love the passion and testing you're putting into the PowerCell 8. We'll be back in the office on the 4th so will read the thread in detail then :)

Yes, tests with technical data are fine.
I was also considering user-centered testing as an alternative.
I feel unlucky for not getting a positive response for now.
I keep reading..

I ran another high amp charging test using the BlackVue B-130X with its 14 AWG charging cable. This time I uncoiled the charging cable.
  • Previous test with coiled 14 AWG charge cable
    • Max amps = 9.278
    • Max temp = 103.8F/39.8C
    • Charging time = 1 hour 0 minutes
  • Test with home made 12 AWG charge cable
    • Max amps = 9.179
    • Max temp = 84.2F/29.0C
    • Charging time = 1 hour 8 minutes
  • This test with uncoiled 14 AWG charge cable
    • Max amps = 9.195
    • Max temp = 86.2F/30.1C
    • Charging Time = 1 hour 8 minutes
The max cable temp was reduced by 17.6F / 9.7C compared to the previous 14 AWG charging cable test in high am charge mode (cable was coiled up as provided in the box). An installation of this battery pack with its 14 AWG charging cable would very likely have a large portion of the cable covered by interior vehicle body panels and/or carpet. The realistic max temp is likely somewhere in the middle of these two 14 AWG test samples depending on how much of the cable is exposed to air.

b130x_20230103_high_charge_cycle_uncoiled_14awg_yt_overview_screenshot.jpg b130x_20230103_high_charge_cycle_uncoiled_14awg_yt_chart_screenshot.jpg 1672790376006.png

@rcg530 thanks for all the research and testing! do you know the part number for the BBMC powercell 8 2pin input connector and header?

@rcg530 thanks for all the research and testing! do you know the part number for the BBMC powercell 8 2pin input connector and header?
The cigarette lighter adapter (CLA) cable uses a 3-connector XT60I-F connector. It has the two main positive/negative pins and a third thin connector in the upper/middle on the outside of the connector. The presence of the third connector on the CLA cables (which is internally connected to the negative wire/pin) lets the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 and the BlackVue B-130X know it should self limit the charging current to 5 amps max.

The hardwire cable uses the 2-terminal XT60 connector. With the third connector not present on this XT60 connector, when it's plugged into the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 or the BlackVue B-130X, the BMS of both units will allow the battery pack to be charged in "High" amp draw mode. The low/off/high switch on the PowerCell 8 will still limit the charging current to 5 amps if set to the "Low" position no matter which cable is plugged into it.

@Panzer Platform and I set out to make some cables that are compatible with these dash camera battery packs. It was easy to find the 2-terminal XT60 connectors (a pack of 10 on Amazon), but the XT60 with the external third connector was somewhat of a challenge to locate. We both ended up purchasing a solar panel cable which had the XT60I-F connector on one end of it. I had some 12 AWG wire on hand. I'll include the Amazon link to the 12 AWG wire that I used.

Genuine Amass 10 Pair XT60 Connectors with Snap on Covers - for high amp charging mode use - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B074PN6N4K
Solar panel charge cable (with 3-connector XT60I-F): https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0BJ61NDKT
25 ft 12 AWG copper wire cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0796L85CD

Last edited:
The cigarette lighter adapter (CLA) cable uses a 3-connector XT60I-F connector. It has the two main positive/negative pins and a third thin connector in the upper/middle on the outside of the connector. The presence of the third connector on the CLA cables (which is internally connected to the negative wire/pin) lets the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 and the BlackVue B-130X know it should self limit the charging current to 5 amps max.

The hardwire cable uses the 2-terminal XT60 connector. With the third connector not present on this XT60 connector, when it's plugged into the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 or the BlackVue B-130X, the BMS of both units will allow the battery pack to be charged in "High" amp draw mode. The low/off/high switch on the PowerCell 8 will still limit the charging current to 5 amps if set to the "Low" position no matter which cable is plugged into it.

@Panzer Platform and I set out to make some cables that are compatible with these dash camera battery packs. It was easy to find the 2-terminal XT60 connectors (a pack of 10 on Amazon), but the XT60 with the external third connector was somewhat of a challenge to locate. We both ended up purchasing a solar panel cable which had the XT60I-F connector on one end of it. I had some 12 AWG wire on hand. I'll include the Amazon link to the 12 AWG wire that I used.

Genuine Amass 10 Pair XT60 Connectors with Snap on Covers - for high amp charging mode use - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B074PN6N4KSolar panel charge cable (with 3-connector XT60I-F): https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0BJ61NDKT25 ft 12 AWG copper wire cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0796L85CD
awesome thanks. Great to have someone so knowledgeable around.
Theres a week out of each month where I do very little driving, so just wanted to be able to pull out the powercell 8 and charge it in the house off of a wall outlet. So gonna splice an XT60 onto a 12V 10A DC power supply

Working on two dash camera reviews and three dash camera battery packs being reviewed at the same time makes for a busy day. :p

It looks like I have my "final" version of my feature comparison chart done for the three battery packs and I have graphic for the input charging cables/ports and output cables/ports. Still working on my Q&A slides.

comparison_chart_20230125_1848.png output_power_ports_cables.jpg charging_power_cables.jpg

Last edited:
Working on two dash camera reviews and three dash camera battery packs being reviewed at the same time makes for a busy day. :p

It looks like I have my "final" version of my feature comparison chart done for the three battery packs and I have graphic for the input charging cables/ports and output cables/ports. Still working on my Q&A slides.

View attachment 63822 View attachment 63821 View attachment 63820
Am I reading the comparison chart correctly?
It looks like the charging time "minutes" are reversed.
This is impressive.

Am I reading the comparison chart correctly?
It looks like the charging time "minutes" are reversed.
This is impressive.
Thanks for catching that! I sent that chart to all three companies for review/comfirmation and nobody noticed that issue.

Back