7500 mAh / 96 Wh - BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 / BlackVue B-130X / Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95

rcg530

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue, Thinkware, VIOFO, Vantrue, Blueskysea, FineVu
Like @Vortex Radar and @Panzer Platform , I've been testing some dash camera battery packs. Last year I purchased a BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8. I observed some charging amp draws by that first PowerCell 8 I received that were well above the stated charging amps (low = 5 amps and high = up to 9.0 amps). I have a link to the review video in the thread from last year. BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 Dashcam Battery Pack Review / Testing

In late December 2021, that very first PowerCell 8 started to have some Bluetooth connectivity problems and it seems to have had an unexplained parasitic power drain. The unit was replaced under warranty. Since it was replaced, I've been successfully using the second PowerCell 8. I do have the "high" mode charging amps set to 7.5 instead of the 9.0 amps. I have not extracted that second unit from my car to perform charging tests like I did with the first unit during the review.

The BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 was the first dash camera battery pack on the market (2021) that had a storage capacity of 7500 mAh / 96 Wh. At SEMA 2022 Thinkware had on display their new iVolt Xtra BAB-95 battery pack. This month Pittasoft released the BlackVue Power Magic Ultra B-130X battery pack. The new dash camera battery packs from Thinkware and BlackVue match the battery capacity of the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8. The BlackVue B-130X (7500 mAh / 96 Wh) has 25% more storage capacity over the previous generation B-124/B-124X (6000 mAh / 76.8 Wh) battery packs. The Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 has 67% more capacity over the older Thinkware iVolt Mini BAB-50 (4500 mAh / 57.6 Wh). All three battery packs are manufactured by EGEN in South Korea. Since EGEN manufacturers all of these battery packs, they will have some similar features. The batteries used in all three of these units are Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4).

I contacted BlackboxMyCar, Pittasoft and Thinkware to see if I could get a marketing unit to test the features of all three of these dash camera battery packs. I asked for a unit from BlackboxMyCar since I didn't want to extract the unit I purchased and have installed in my car to perform this review comparison. BlackboxMyCar was willing to send me a refurbished PowerCell 8. Pittasoft was willing to send me a new BlackVue Power Magic Ultra B-130X. Thinkware was not able to provide a free unit, but just today I was able to get a discount code from Thinkware to allow me to purchase the iVolt Extra at a moderate discount. Thank you to BlackboxMyCar, Pittasoft and Thinkware for supporting my efforts to test these dash camera battery packs.

I've been performing some timed charge and discharge tests with the two units I have right now (PowerCell 8 and B-130X). I'll run those same tests with the Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 when it arrives in the next week or so.

I'm testing the discharge time for the battery packs with a VIOFO A139 Pro 3CH dash camera as the "load". I'm using the VIOFO A139 Pro 3CH since it's a power hungry dash camera. I have the A139 Pro 3CH connected to the battery packs during the charging tests since that replicates having the battery pack installed in a vehicle with a dash camera being powered by it. Timing the charge cycle of these battery packs without a load on it, is only somewhat helpful (IMO).

I created this thread to start collecting my test results in one place rather than dropping posts in other people's threads.

Right on Robert,
Congrats on getting the BAB-95.
I’m reading you loud, and clear. lol
I wasn’t using a “load” during the charge cycle because I only have one DR900X Plus, and only one A139 Pro. I was having issues with the DR900X Plus going in/out of parking/normal mode unintentionally because the BlackVue 3-wire hardwire kit was not included in the box. I also didn't fully understand how to configure the parking mode settings properly in the firmare APP settings. I was worried about variable fluctuating power consumption effecting the charge times
So that was my fault, (I got that figured out now).

I’ve cooked up an idea that should provide fixed, non variable test results, and also allow me to perform “drag race” charge / discharge times with the B-130X vs. PC8. This should also allow me to make apples to apples comparisons with the reporting accuracy of each battery’s APP, (BlackVue & Cellink Neo Plus). I spent over an hour searching, and testing my collection of spare incandescent car light bulbs that I’ve replaced over the years with LED.

I carefully selected two light bulbs that have identical power consumption of 687mA @ 12.60 Volts = 8.6 Watts, (this should be similar to the power hungry A139 Pro in normal recording mode). I also plan to switch the bulbs at the theoretical halfway point during the “drag race” charge / discharge tests to account for any minor variations between the bulbs.
So excited, go go go. lol
-Chuck

Today, I ran a test using the DC power inverter that BlackboxMyCar sells to charge their PowerCell 8 and other dash camera battery packs by using it to make an attempt to charge the BlackVue B-130X battery pack. I fully depleted the charge level in the B-130X and then I used the DC power inverter along with the provided cigarette lighter adapter to charge the B-130X with a VIOFO A139 Pro 3CH dash camera connected to it. I've successfully performed this same charging test using a WANPTEK power supply as the DC power source. The BBMC DC inverter is rated at 14.6 volts @ 5.0 amps. @Panzer Platform has attempted this same charging test with it ending in failure. He was able to successfully charge the BBMC PowerCell 8 using the BBMC DC power inverter, but not the BlackVue B-130X.

The first problem showed up 62 minutes into the charging test when the B-130X had reached a 41% charge level. The app no longer displayed "12VDC/Cigar" because the BBMC DC power inverter was resetting and it was not providing power to the B-130X. Then the charge percentage value was being refreshed to be displayed on the center part of the screen. The DC power inverter restarted providing DC charging power and it went on for another three minutes when the DC power inverter starting resetting again. The thermal image camera showed the power inverter had a temp of 146.9F/63.8C. I aborted the charging test at that point.

1671761854029.png 1671761930164.png 1671762047285.png tc001_20221222_163425.jpg

During my 5 amp charging tests using my WANPTEK DC power supply, I observed that around the 62 to 65 minute time mark would be when the B-130X would start to elevate its amp draw. It would appear that the B-130X is drawing more amps than the BBMC DC power inverter is capable of handling. The PowerCell 8 and the BlackVue B-130X both reach a 5.3/5.4 amp draw level but the PowerCell 8 does that at the very end of the charging cycle for a fairly short period of time. The B-130X starts to increase its amp draw far sooner than the PowerCell 8 and that seems to overload the BBMC DC power inverter.

1671762498281.png 1671762461642.png

I'm going to prep the PowerCell 8 (drain its current charge) to run this same test in the morning.

Thank you so much for the confirm & verify.
I'm curious how @BlackVue_Pittasoft will respond.
I'm sure they have customers wanting to charge their battery packs "in the house" because they don't drive long enough, or often enough to fully charge the battery.
Will they update the firmware of the BMS to correct the spike in amperage demand?
Will they officially recommend their own "specialized" AC/DC Power Inverter?
Also, I don't see a "firmware update port" on the B-130X like the BBMC PC8 has.

Today, I ran a test of the BlackboxMyCar DC power inverter as the power source to charge the PowerCell 8 battery pack. While it looked promising, after the charge level reached 99% the BBMC DC power inverter started to shutoff the output power, reset and starting providing DC power again for a short time and then reset. The point in the charge cycle for the BlackVue B-130X and the BBMC PowerCell 8 is exactly when the BMS in those units starts to draw more amps (ramps up from 5.1 amps to 5.4 amps). The B-130X starts that ramp up much earlier in the charge cycle than the PowerCell 8 (see charts in my previous post).

I had first thought the issue might be a thermal protection feature of the BBMC DC power inverter. While charging the B-130X, the BBMC DC power inverter reached a max temp of 146.9F/63.8C. While testing it with the PowerCell 8, it reached a higher temp range of 151.6F/66.4C to 152.3F/66.8C. I've sent my findings to BBMC.

1671842478455.png

UPS just dropped off the Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 dash camera battery pack. My testing for me next week. :geek:

Thank you so much for the confirm & verify Robert.
Congrats on the BAB-95.

Check out this $25 Amazon AC/DC Inverter. It goes all the way up to 10 Amps, and even has a digital voltmeter & thermometer. However, it’s only “rated” at 12.6 Volts.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B099PLCDK1
I did some testing to see if these cheap amazon units would work with the PC8, and it looks like the PC8 needs to see a higher voltage of 14.6V to make it past the BMS before it can begin the charge cycle.

Attachments

• 10 Amps = 120 Watt .png
    10 Amps = 120 Watt .png
    169.6 KB · Views: 3
I did some testing to see if these cheap amazon units would work with the PC8, and it looks like the PC8 needs to see a higher voltage of 14.6V to make it past the BMS before it can begin the charge cycle.
I don't know if the BMS in the PC8 requires a minimum of 14.6 volts (would have to be tested) since many vehicle charging systems don't reach that voltage level or only reach it if the ECM/PCM commands it to that voltage level depending on the vehicle battery's state of charge. My 2014 Chevy Caprice's charging system will range from 12.6 to 14.8 volts (observed using the "Driver Information Center" voltage output display) and I don't hear the beep from the PC8, an older Cellink B nor my recently installed Thinkware iVolt Mini BAB-50 indicating it was turning the charging on/off while driving.

I don't know if the BMS in the PC8 requires a minimum of 14.6 volts
Oh yeah, I misspoke. I meant to say "closer" to 14.6 volts meaning higher than 12.6 volts.
I tried to initiate a charge cycle of the PC8 by setting my power supply to 12.6 Volts 5 Amps, and it would just start and endless boot up loop.
But when I set the power supply to 14.6 Volts 5 Amps it started charging just fine.
Here's a quick video showing it.

Yesterday, I received the Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 dash camera battery pack that I purchased earlier in the week. It was interesting to see a new 6-terminal pin connector for the “Output” connection. There also is a different method in which it’s wired and triggered to start charging.

Specifications label:
1671911272615.png

Input/Output Connection Changes
  • "Input" connection port changes (Charging Power)
    • It is only supplied with a 14 AWG cable - no cigarette lighter adapter (CLA)
    • There are "Low/Off/High" positions on the mode slide switch
    • The input charging cable is connected to a constant battery power source instead of a switched/accessory power source
  • "Output" connection port changes
    • The 4-terminal plug used in many of the previous EGEN produced battery packs has been replaced by a 6-terminal connector
    • A new green wire is the “ACC IN” wire.
      • It’s a 24 awg wire that is used to trigger an internal relay / switch to start charging the battery pack using the constant battery power from the "Input" connection cable/port
    • There are 3 wires of the 6 wire connector for the typical dash camera hardwiring cable except the red wire has a more descriptive label of “ACC OUT”
      • Yellow = Constant/BATT+
      • Red = Switched/ACC OUT
      • Black = Ground
    • There are two additional wires that connect to ring 1 and ring 2 of a TRRS connector which is meant to connect to a Thinkware dash camera that can communicate with the battery pack
      • I've sent a request to get the list of compatible Thinkware dash cameras for this feature
      • There is an extension cable included in the box if the cable connected to the output port connector is too short to reach the Thinkware dash camera.
1671911146102.png 1671912280224.png 1671912345833.png

Here's a picture that Thinkware has on their iVolt Xtra BAB-95 product page:
BAB-95-Installation-Guide_221201_7page-01.jpg

I'll start my full testing of this battery pack on Monday.

I had some time on my hands this evening, so I performed the "High" charging mode test with the Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 battery pack. The "High" charging mode is stated to have a maximum amp load of 8.5 amps. Based on this test, I have to say that is correct. It was nice to see one of these battery packs stay at or below the stated maximum number of amps.

Configuration
  • Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95
    • Power / Mode Switch = High
    • Thinkware provided 14 AWG charging cable was used
    • Start of test charge level = 0%
  • DC Power Supply
    • WANPTEK DC power supply was configured to supply 14.2 volts with a maximum of 10.2 amps
  • Power Load
    • I had a VIOFO A139 Pro 3CH dash camera connected as the load on the battery pack during this test (same as my test for other battery packs)
Test Events
  • 0 mins / Charge Level 0% / 6.783 amps
    • Thinkware iVolt battery app reported the battery pack was charging at 13.5 volts at 8.5 amps
    • Initial amp load was 6.783 amps as displayed on DC power supply screen
  • 14 mins / Charge level 25% / 8.002 amps
  • 28 mins / Charge level 50% / 8.042 amps
  • 42 mins / Charge level 75% / 8.100 amps
  • 56 mins / Charge level 100% / 8.173 amps
    • Charging amps continue to rise
    • The app's statement of a 100% charge level is a bit premature
  • 65 mins / Charge level 100% / 8.335 amps
    • Maximum amp draw level was reached and amp draw starts to ramp down
  • 70 mins / Charge level 100% / 0.300 to 8.300 amps
    • Fully charge state is reached.
    • As long as the dash camera power load is present the minimum amp draw is in the 0.300 amp range
The documentation states this battery pack should reach a full charge in approximately 50 minutes when using the "High" charging mode. The app stated it was at a 100% charge level after 56 minutes, but the BMS continued to charge the battery pack for another 14 minutes beyond the app stating it was at 100%.

All three battery packs being tested have a different way of charging and presenting the charge level in the app when it gets towards the end of the charge cycle. The BlackVue B-130X will get to 68% to 78% percent and it will stay at that percentage for a long time. The B-130X will then jump from that percentage to 100%. The BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 will reach 99% and stick at that level as its finishing up the topping off of the charge level and then it finally reports 100%. As I stated above, the Thinkware BAB-95 will report 100% when its not truly at 100% just yet.

More testing will be performed during the week.

Thermal picture taken at max amp draw - 8.335 amps
1672028278609.png

Thinkware iVolt app shows a charge level of 100% at 18:26 but the battery is still drawing charging power for another 5 minutes

1672028395149.png 1672028415340.png

A chart showing the amps and charge level percentage:
bab95_high_charge_cycle_20221225_chart.png

Last edited:
I've uploaded my videos of the charging tests including the high amp charging test I completed yesterday for the Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 to my YouTube channel.

BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 Dash Camera Battery Pack - 5 Amp Charging Test

BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery B-130X - High Amp Charging Test - 14 AWG Wire

BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery B-130X - High Amp Charging Test - 12 AWG Wire

BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery B-130X - 5 Amp Charging Test

Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 - High Amp Charging Test - 14 AWG Wire

Last edited:
I ran the low amp charging mode test for the Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 dash camera battery pack.

Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95 - Low Amp Charging Test - 14 AWG Wire

I've been running several charge and discharge tests of the three battery packs. I just ran another high amp charging test of the PowerCell 8 but this time using the VIOFO A139 Pro 3CH as the power load on it while charging it (like the other charging tests). It took 1 hour 2 minutes from 0% to 100% fully charged. The 16 AWG charging cable once again showed it's too thin of a wire gauge for this task. The max recorded temp was 112.4F/44.6C. The max charging amp load by the PowerCell 8 was 9.741 amps right at the end of the charging cycle.

Here's a chart of the results I have so far. I use the VIOFO A139 Pro 3CH dash camera as the load on the battery pack during the charge cycle to simulate powering a dash camera in your car while also charging the battery pack. I use the same dash camera for my discharge tests due to its relatively high amp draw (650 to 750 mA) while in low bitrate parking mode.

1672432407218.png

battery_pack_charge_discharge_chart_20221230.png

The 16 AWG charging cable once again showed it's too thin of a wire gauge for this task. The max recorded temp was 112.4F/44.6C. The max charging amp load by the PowerCell 8 was 9.741 amps right at the end of the charging cycle.
Another thing I've noticed using my homemade 12AWG charge cable is not only does it lower the wire temp, it also seems to lower the amperage draw.
Have you noticed a decrease in amp draw when using your 12AWG charge cable?

Another thing I've noticed using my homemade 12AWG charge cable is not only does it lower the wire temp, it also seems to lower the amperage draw.
Have you noticed a decrease in amp draw when using your 12AWG charge cable?
I'll test the 12 AWG wire later today (Saturday). I'm draining off the PC8 battery pack stored power with three dash cameras connected to it (using a custom output power cable) and a DROK USB power load device connected to the USB port. This reduces the battery pack power drain down time to the 5 to 6 hour range.

To verify the amp readings from the WANPTEK DC power supply, I used an AESWave uScope oscilloscope and an amp clamp to watch the amp ramp up / down after the PC8 gets fully charged and the dash camera drains down the charge level slightly so the BMS has a short charge cycle. The PC8 does have an initial spike of amp draw just over 10 amps and then it ramps down as the short charge cycle completes. The max/current/min amp readings from the uScope were exceptionally close the DC power supply's amp readings. The initial spike of just over 10 amps is probably why the Fluke 117 multimeter amp metering goes into OL (overload - 10 amps max) state for just a moment and why my TACKLife DC power supplies were not happy with the PC8.

I used my Fluke 117 multimeter to verify the amp readings from the WANPTEK DC power supply are accurate. The Fluke 117 is stated as being "highly accurate". I ran a somewhat short 5 amp charge test. The Fluke 117 and the WANPTEK DC power supply displayed amp readings that were within 3 milliamps of each other.

1672480076868.png

I'm satisfied that the WANPTEK DC power supply's amp readings are accurate enough to use as the amp readings in my testing/review. To have another usable DC power supply with the dash camera battery packs, I purchased a NANKADF DC power supply which looks to be the same exact power supply as the WANPTEK, just with a different company name on the front cover. It was on sale and it had an additional 20% off coupon making it only $56 USD (plus tax).

I used my Fluke 117 multimeter to verify the amp readings from the WANPTEK DC power supply are accurate. The Fluke 117 is stated as being "highly accurate". I ran a somewhat short 5 amp charge test. The Fluke 117 and the WANPTEK DC power supply displayed amp readings that were within 3 milliamps of each other.
This is why I like my WANPTEK so much.
I'm seeing the same level of accuracy with my Fluke 115.

I'm draining off the PC8 battery pack stored power with three dash cameras connected to it (using a custom output power cable)
The EGEN included output cable appears to be 22AWG or smaller.
Earlier I was draining the battery packs at the maximum stated specification, 14.2V @ 2A = 28.4 Watts with a 3156 light bulb rared at 26 Watts.
I was worried I may overheat, and damage the little 22AWG wires.
Do you know where I could buy the molex 4-pin connector so I could make my own output cable with maybe 16AWG wire?

The EGEN included output cable appears to be 22AWG or smaller.
Earlier I was draining the battery packs at the maximum stated specification, 14.2V @ 2A = 28.4 Watts with a 3156 light bulb rared at 26 Watts.
I was worried I may overheat, and damage the little 22AWG wires.
Do you know where I could buy the molex 4-pin connector so I could make my own output cable with maybe 16AWG wire?
I purchase mine from mouser.com. I list the part numbers in my video about creating cables for the EGEN battery packs (but not the new Thinkware iVolt Xtra BAB-95). The terminal pins only accept wires up to 20 AWG in size.

538-43645-0400 RECEPTACLE 4 POS SINGLE ROW: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-43645-0400
538-43030-0001-CT MF 3.0 TERM 20-24G F Cut Strip of 100 (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/538-43030-0001-CT

I list the part numbers in my video about creating cables for the EGEN battery packs
Link to video?
I'm not seeing that video on your YouTube channel, is it unlisted?

Back