808 #26 Micro-Camera Due Mid-April 2013

Swordfish

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
The 808 #18 DR32 has barely reached the market and here we see an upcoming model from the same manufacturer already. It has a 500mAh battery. Not sure if it has GPS and other features I'm looking for such as parking mode/motion detection.
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C26/
The page has some details about the camera, including sample videos here:
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/vaultentrance.html
The day video looks great but I'm not as impressed with the night one.
There's also a YouTube video here:

Cheers,
Swordfish

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 808 #26 Dash Camera Due Mid-April 2013

Thanks for sharing Swordfish. I wonder if it will come with auto start and auto stop?

Re: 808 #26 Dash Camera Due Mid-April 2013

DashCamMan said:
Thanks for sharing Swordfish. I wonder if it will come with auto start and auto stop?
I think their 808 #18 DR32 has auto start and stop, not sure about this one since it gives me the impression it's a keychain camera.

The 808 #26 is a keychain cam and is the successor to the #16. It's not a car cam and doesn't have auto start/stop.

The Hetai 808 #26 is not a dashcam but can be used as a dashcam if the user will create its own mount system:

The 808 #26 is not the successor to the #16, is the successor of #18. #16 and #18 are different developers, competitors. Until now the only connection between the #18 or #16 and the #26 is the form factor (case).
The #16 developer will release another camera, not the #26 (maybe the #24 or #28, I don't know).
The difference between the #16 and #18 developers is that the #16 developer is better in firmware releases.

The first version of the #26 will have normal lens (90 degrees) and maybe a future version will have the 120 degrees which will be better as a dashcam.

Even I don't understand the reason, the #26 will be released first without start and stop when charger detected and a future version will have the Auto-Start. The #26 with Auto-Start can be considered a dashcam.

The lens is the OV2710 and the chipset is iCatch SPCA6330A

Specs:
1080p-30fps, 720p-60fps, 720p-30fps
500mAh battery (not important for us as a dashcam)
58x36x17mm
46gr.
Video Out

The camera will not have for sure GPS or G-Sensor. Also I am not sure about the motion detect, but maybe this will be added in the future.
The settings of the camera is made using some PC configuration GUI.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• #26PCBA_1.jpg
    #26PCBA_1.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 2,800
  • #26PCBA_2.jpg
    #26PCBA_2.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 2,800
Is that hand-soldering?
Also, I couldn't help but notice this:
[thumbnail]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54281287/808_26_1.png[/thumbnail]

Mikk36 said:
Is that hand-soldering?
No, it is surface mount. The circuit board has solder paste applied to contacts. Then one machine puts components on the board. Then board goes through oven.
Long time ago I was working in one company that was making surface mount circuit boards for NEC, GM, and I was fixing messed-up components after the oven.

Thanks Mtz for the info and pics of the cam. The size is great. With the right features and mount this camera could be good.

MozartMan said:
Mikk36 said:
Is that hand-soldering?
No, it is surface mount. The circuit board has solder paste applied to contacts. Then one machine puts components on the board. Then board goes through oven.
Long time ago I was working in one company that was making surface mount circuit boards for NEC, GM, and I was fixing messed-up components after the oven.
So all the randomness of the placed SMD angles etc is normal?

Edit: didn't spot it at first, but is this also normal?
[thumbnail]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81066738/Mikk/808_26_2.png[/thumbnail]

Mikk36 said:
So all the randomness of the placed SMD angles etc is normal?
That was happening occasionally and I was re-soldering those resistors and other components by hand.

That is an engineering sample. They are still working on PCB. The final PCB will look professional, like this:

This forum was the first which presented that „spy” photos.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
That is an engineering sample. They are still working on PCB. The final PCB will look professional, like this:

enjoy,
Mtz
just to add to this hand made samples are generally assembled by one person or maybe a few people, I've seen buyers in the past that think that somehow a hand made sample would be superior to a production sample, when goods are made on a production line each task is handled by a single person and they get quite good at doing that one process before it moves onto the next person to do their bit, production versions of any product are inevitably better for this reason over any product that is put together by an engineering department

I am curious how this camera will perform. The iCatch processors don't have the greatest reputation.

You can see in this thread a review of a GS5000 using the same iCatch SPCA6330A-HB261 processor.

Also many people say the Novatek processor is bad. But if you will look at all videos from 808 cameras #16 and #18 you will change your opinion. If the developer will choose the right lens and know how to work with the firmware the result can be a good quality camera. Until now these videos are promising.
Most cheap chinese no-name cameras have almost no firmware support. The stock quality firmware must to be only stable for them. They don't care about quality, but to be cheap as possible and camera to not crash too soon.
The 808 developers want to stay more in the market, working for their brand, even I don't like all their solutions which can be improved too. But overall, their quality is very good and after sales support is just great.

enjoy,
Mtz

Day recording:
Night recording:

enjoy,
Mtz

For sure it will be not available in April.

enjoy,
Mtz

sudo said:
Shipping May 10. Sellers start taking preorders @ $100.

what about the pricing? Is it a fair price?

It seems a high price to me. 70 sounds more reasonable.

Any thoughts here?

They released a helmet mount and they will release also a mount for car.

helmet-mount-HX001C.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Back