A couple mounting and visibility questions.

slidinghome

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone mounted the camera so it extends past the shaded/dotted section of the windshield? Are you happy with the setup? My limited mounting options will allow me to mount the camera behind the mirror, but it will extend out past the dotted section of the glass about 1" and I'm wondering how noticeable it will be from outside.

I need to leave room to remove the camera from the mount and there's a sensor housing in the way. How much room above the camera is needed to slide the camera off the mount?

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone mounted the camera so it extends past the shaded/dotted section of the windshield? Are you happy with the setup? My limited mounting options will allow me to mount the camera behind the mirror, but it will extend out past the dotted section of the glass about 1" and I'm wondering how noticeable it will be from outside.

I need to leave room to remove the camera from the mount and there's a sensor housing in the way. How much room above the camera is needed to slide the camera off the mount?

Thanks in advance.

That's exactly how it's mounted in my 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. Looks great and very stealthy all around. I used the optional cord cover on top as well. If you don't have enough room for the cord cover then don't use it. If you don't use the cord cover leave a couple inches to slide the camera up and off the mount. If you go too high it's also potentially out of the sweep of the windshield wiper as well so keep that in mind

Unfortunately a couple of inches above the camera in my car will bring it down well below the mirror and interfere with visibility. The video in the review makes it look like somewhere between 1/4 & 1/2 inch is necessary, but it is really hard to tell.

Simulate and practice sliding the mount off the cam instead of the cam off the mount. (In the house) Measure distance and also leave room for power/GPS wires sticking up.

There are 90 degree angled adapters you can use as well if you have an unusually low ceiling and headliner clearance behind the mirror. (what make model car is this ?)

Thanks in advance.

You need about 1.5-2cm to leave for slide in-out.

I had "same issue" like you ( to mount as high as possible ) in my VW Passat B6/3C and it's the highest I can get where I can still mount-dismount dascham when needed.

SG9665GC v2 (5).jpg

Simulate and practice sliding the mount off the cam instead of the cam off the mount. (In the house) Measure distance and also leave room for power/GPS wires sticking up.

There are 90 degree angled adapters you can use as well if you have an unusually low ceiling and headliner clearance behind the mirror. (what make model car is this ?)

No camera yet because I want to make sure it will can be mounted behind the mirror successfully before spending $200. The car is a Kia Cadenza and has a rain sensor, a lane departure sensor and an auto dimming light sensor behind the mirror leaving very little room to work with. I have planned for 90 degree cable adapters.

Last edited:
You need about 1.5-2cm to leave for slide in-out.

I had "same issue" like you ( to mount as high as possible ) in my VW Passat B6/3C and it's the highest I can get where I can still mount-dismount dascham when needed.

View attachment 28068

That looks great, but my installation will extend another 1" or so forward beyond the dotted section due to limited clearance behind the camera.

On the 2015 Kia Cadenza it do look like the RVM is pretty close to the windscreen.

http://www.carforours.com/premium-sedan-2015-kia-cadenza-interior

You might be able to find the measurements for the camera and cut out a 1:1 template of the cameras profile, you should be able to get a better feel for how it will fit holding that up on the windscreen in front of the RVM.

Off course this do not do much for the width of the camera, but as i understand it, it is more often a matter of the thickness and length of the camera that might be a issue.

Maybe find a pic of the camera from the side, and then scale that up or down so you can print a 1:1 template to test with.

That looks great, but my installation will extend another 1" or so forward beyond the dotted section due to limited clearance behind the camera.
Can you post pictures of your car windshield around RVmirtor taken insede/ outside to better understand challenges you face with installation of SG9664GC ?

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Is this accurate? (From link above)

5638bc4d7400f25a7f19d88915f3657d.png

Is this accurate? (From link above)

5638bc4d7400f25a7f19d88915f3657d.png

That's the setup and there's not much room to work with. The cover on the left is just above a light sensor on the back of the mirror, so I can't mount anything to it. There is 2 1/8 inches between that cover and the mirror mount (not visible) that would allow me to mount a SG, but the camera would extend past the dotted section of the glass by at least an inch, probably making it too visible from the outside.

The cover on the right is clipped to a sensor and is not stable enough to hold a camera, but that cover is sized for two sensors and there is only one in U.S. cars.

I'm considering cutting the cover on the right to allow for the mounting of a SG half buried in it with the cover surrounding the camera on three sides. If I can figure out how to make that work it all the wires would be routed below the cover. There is probably also room below that cover for the GPS module, but without the actual camera it's hard to be sure. Unfortunately no one seems to sell any of the wedge dash cams locally.

You can buy/try and I'm happy to help you return it if for some reason it's not ideal for your extra cramped space there.
(just be careful/gentle with parts while in trial mode of course)
I'll send you a pre-paid return label even.

Last edited:
Thanks much for that. Before taking you up on that offer I want to make some very careful measurements of the area under that cover to at least be pretty sure it will work. I'll have some time to do that in the next couple of days.

Thanks much for that. Before taking you up on that offer I want to make some very careful measurements of the area under that cover to at least be pretty sure it will work. I'll have some time to do that in the next couple of days.

I have digital calipers if you want me to post something very specific for measurements (happy to help)

I think you may be overestimating the importance of both stealth and being literally on the centerline of the vehicle. I'd just mount it between those two sensor covers and be fine with it or off to the right of the right-most sensor cover. No need to go hacking up the sensor cover.

I have digital calipers if you want me to post something very specific for measurements (happy to help)

Change of plans. I did some checking and that missing sensor is part of the climate control and actually should actually have been installed. I'll eventually be getting one and that leaves me with a space on the other side that's really too short for the SG. Even a Mobius presents a challenge because the mirror is very close to the windshield on the driver's side and there's no place to mount it on the passenger's side.

I think the SG with the remote lens would fit, but I would need to mount the control unit upside down and from what I'm reading the display can't be inverted. Hopefully there will be some new SG options available in the near future.

Even a Mobius presents a challenge because the mirror is very close to the windshield on the driver's side and there's no place to mount it on the passenger's side.

although the Mobius is quite small you can still mount a GC in less space due to mounting directly to the window versus the Mobius hanging off a bracket

Back