SG9665GC...couple of questions

kiru

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

I just ordered one of these dash cams and have a few questions (please keep in mind this is my first dash cam):

1. Is this cam designed to run 24/7? (in motion recording mode)
2. While the camera is in motion mode, and I start the car and move, does it continue to record as usual, as there is motion (since the car is moving)?, what happens if I stop at a street light (say for longer than the preset time), will the recording stop (granted of course late a night with nothing around)?
3. If I wanted motion recording, while parked, can I wire up a battery pack and use a relay to isolate (ie. when the car is "on" the cam will run off the car and charge the battery pack, and when off, the cam runs off the battery pack only)?
4. Should I connect the cam to ignition or accessory power?

If there are any other tips or anything, I am all ears :)

Thanks,

1. I wouldn't run any camera 24/7
2. The motion detect will pause and resume depending on movement, in the current firmware this is not accurate enough, will be updated in the next firmware release
3. That's basically what a Cellink B does (I think that's what you're describing)
4. Accessory power is best

Using a Vico-Power Plus is good option. You can quickly switch between Switched AAC (Driving) and UnSwitched BAT (Parking) mode as needed and also has a timer option with timer on/off swictch. This way you're not running the camera 24/7 for no good reason. (Which can be a bit punishing)

Thanks for the quick responses! so really, is this the difference between motion detection and parking mode? while one feature is for 24/7 operation and the other not? I am not looking to run this cam for 24/7, I am just trying to understand what "specs" mean in the dash cam world.

Between ACC and IGN, why would you not want to use IGN (run) instead? this way if you are just in the car listening the radio, the cam won't turn on (I guess this could be personal preference).

better wired to accessories, some ignition only circuits will have a voltage cut, or worse, voltage spike when cranking, use an accessory feed, as @Pier28 mentioned if wanting to use sometimes when parked better to have a power management device with voltage, timer and temp cutouts

1. I wouldn't run any camera 24/7
Why not? My SG runs from July 2015 constantly in motion detection mode. Yes, this mode is not very good, but I set the maximum sensitivity and a 3-minute motion timeout. In the afternoon move - no problems, and at night - almost without stopping recording.

If your camera is in a okay place to take out the USB plug, you can just do that and plug in a USB power bank.

Thats what i would do should i ever feel the need to have my car "armed" when parked, but so far i dont use any form of parking guard.

yes, I was thinking the same thing, but automating it with an relay, kind of like the cellink b unit, but much cheaper since I can make it

Why not? My SG runs from July 2015 constantly in motion detection mode. Yes, this mode is not very good, but I set the maximum sensitivity and a 3-minute motion timeout. In the afternoon move - no problems, and at night - almost without stopping recording.

it's a waste really to run a camera like this, the motion detect will be improved in the upcoming firmware

I finally received the cam yesterday and installed it today. I have also taken some advice, from some folks here, and installed the Blackvue Power Magic Pro with it. Can someone please look at the attached pict and provide some feedback on the camera aiming? I think I am a tad to high (too much sky), but I also wanted to minimize my vent reflections as well.

Attachments

• SG_sample.jpg
    SG_sample.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 61
Aim is ok

Thanks Jokiin!

Another few questions on settings:

So I am now playing with the motion settings (since I elected to also install the Blackvue power pro), and am wondering what people set those to. I currently have the motion set to "medium" for the first go at it. I also have the g-sensor set to "medium" as well. Just curious to what works for other peeps with this camera.

G-Sensor low would be better, motion would probably be better on high right now as the motion detect algorithm is currently incorrect, this will be adjusted in the next release version due later this month

Another question. I just received my CPL and installed it. It does work somewhat, I am noticing it is causing the focus to be alot softer and not as sharp without. Is this normal?

It's always a bit of a trade off adding a CPL.
I get that, but it's almost night a day difference. Also, I notice the CPL cuts off the top left corner of the picture a bit. I inserted the lens all the way with the larger opening side facing upwards:

790fa7e393381f633116e75c7a1bfd74.jpg

You can compare to the previous picture I posted, when I asked about aiming.

There is a margin of error on the 3D printer used at shapeways we can't control. The vignetting pops up from time to time. I'll setup an exchange. Please email or private message me your original order number, name, email, and address. How's the focus look with the CPL off?

There is a margin of error on the 3D printer used at shapeways we can't control. The vignetting pops up from time to time. I'll setup an exchange. Please email or private message me your original order number, name, email, and address. How's the focus look with the CPL off?
Thanks! Should I try to mount the CPL the other way up first? Would it make a difference? The focus is good without it.

...You can compare to the previous picture I posted, when I asked about aiming.
It looks like you're facing directly into the sun which is bad for any type of video capture, especially if the sun is actually hitting the lens. How do things look under different conditions and with the CPL?

Back