A few basic (and some not so) questions

sejtam

Reaction score
So I am in need of a new Dashcam and am considering the DR650GW-2CH or one of the Lucas (and maybe Thinkware).....

here are a few questions I (still) have.

1. Wifi.
1.1 Does the camera present its own hotspot (the FAQ says the phone should look for the signal from teh camera), or is that only a 'ad-hoc' connection?
1.2. If it presents its own, how then could it connect to a separate hotspot?
1.3. or do I need to use my phone's Wifi Hotspot feature to let the camera connect?
1.4. how many hotspots can it remember and connect to? Different drivers will have different phones with diff hotspot names...
1.5 It it presents its onw signal, can I change the SSID?

2. Is the camera removable from the front (eg for upgrades/direct connection to the PC at home )?

3. One dealer told me live streaming reduces the quality of the recorded signal (as half the FPS go to the
stream and the other half to the recording)?

4. When live-streaming, can I make the rear picture 'mirror' so it looks like in a parking camera (or the mirror) and thus the sides are the same in the picture and reality (but text is reversed)? That would make using it as areversing cam much easier as a car that eh drives past on the left won't appear on the right in the picture..
(I often have people passing behind the car while reversing [ they simply pay no attention] and thus having a good idea whare they are spatially would be useful).... I don't care about this for the recording, just the live display

5. is live-streaming possible (eg to a small 7in tablet centrally mounted)? That would make an awesome Waze/dashcam display combo. (esp with Samsung's multi display if supported: 2 apps at once)

I purchased the 650 one channel several months ago after researching to the best of my ability. I liked the form factor, the fact it had WiFi as well as GPS with a reasonable picture. The GPS is hit and miss, connecting perhaps.. 80% of the time. The WiFi is a joke. It does connect to a WiFi tablet (Samsung) where I can see live view or watch a clip with only moderate buffering. It will NOT connect to my WiFi home network which is a major disappointment. To view any of the video on my computer requires removing the SD chip which is also a pain to accomplish when the camera is mounted tight to the windshield / mirror. The park mode is also a joke as the sensitivity is such that the camera is on all the time.

I have not tried the new cloud feature as it evidently down grades the picture quality.. which is not the best as it is. And the PC program is so far still.. in development.

Your list of desired features is admirable but there is no camera that will do it all. You will need to compromise and invariably will be disappointed in your ultimate selection. But.. good luck :)

Back