A few Settings questions

Sentinel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got a SpyTec A119 and I have a few quick questions about some of the settings I hope someone can help me with.

1. Resolution
I see that it does 2560x1440 @30fps by default. Would it actually be better to pick 1920x1080 @60fps due to the higher frame rate?

2. WDR
WDR is off by default. From all I can see this seems like a good thing but yet it is off by default. Is there a reason for not having this on?

Thanks

Just got a SpyTec A119 and I have a few quick questions about some of the settings I hope someone can help me with.

1. Resolution
I see that it does 2560x1440 @30fps by default. Would it actually be better to pick 1920x1080 @60fps due to the higher frame rate?

2. WDR
WDR is off by default. From all I can see this seems like a good thing but yet it is off by default. Is there a reason for not having this on?

Thanks

I run mine at with a CPL and at 1080p 60fps with EV= +1/3 and WDR=On

My computer has to many issues at the higher resolution.
I don't really see any significant difference with or without WDR. does seem to help a little around dawn/dusk times when there is some light but not a lot.

1. Resolution

2. WDR

Thanks

I run my A119 at the highest supported resolution (default 2560 x 1440 @ 30 fps) - with a CPL filter and EXP set to +1.

Generally speaking, a higher resolution = better quality image. You still have 30 frames ps so easily sufficient to capture number plates.

2. WDR
I would recommend that WDR should be ON. Wide Dynamic Range dictates how well your Dashcam can record the details in very dark and very bright areas of an image simultaneously. As your Dashcam spends most of the time looking forward in the horizon - split between ground and sky - darker areas such as shadows in shaded tree areas of the road will show more detail with WDR turned on. Moving from an overly dark to overly bright areas such as night driving - heading into a well lit tunnel should compensate the incoming bright light and allow the camera to see more before you reach the brightly lit tunnel. Hope this makes sense? I found an image showing you WDR on and off - attached.

Attachments

• wdr-on-off.png
    wdr-on-off.png
    381.5 KB · Views: 20
Thank you both. Very much appreciated.
Just one more question ... forgive my ignorance but what is a CPL?

I run my A119 at the highest supported resolution (default 2560 x 1440 @ 30 fps) - with a CPL filter and EXP set to +1.
what EXP would you have set if you have (rear) window tinted and no CPL?

Thank you both. Very much appreciated.
Just one more question ... forgive my ignorance but what is a CPL?

Circular Polarizing Filter - helps to cut down on windscreen reflections in bright sunlight. Viofo do a clip-on style (which clips over the camera lens and can be removed if you need to) or you can pickup an adhesive type (permanent fixing)

A119CPL - on Amazon UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B071XV5Z4L
My official CPL was not aligned correctly, so had to follow a guide on here to get it to filter correctly.

what EXP would you have set if you have (rear) window tinted and no CPL?

Hard to say - I'd probably leave it set to 0 - record some footage. Increase to +1 - record some footage etc. and compare images to see which looked best. If the rear window is already tinted with no CPL - you're already filtering out some light.

Back