A good, really cheap dashcam?

Xybone

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need suggestions for a good, cheap dashcam (preferably under $40).
Something like this:
Video quality doesn't really matter, it just needs a wide angle lens (like the video) and a big timestamp (like in the video).

I want it that cheap because A) the car I'm installing this in doesn't get driven much and B) it's usually parked in a not-very-safe part of the town

Understand your reasoning, don't believe you can get decent results for your budget though, the G1W at $52 is as low as I would go

+1 Don't get anything cheaper than the G1W, or you might as well not get anything at all.

Or you could spend $100 and get a DR32 and end up having to mess about putting in your own microphone to solve the crap audio - and if you can't stand the red & blue comet trails, you have to overwrite the firmware with the patriot FW.
I wouldn't call $100 cheap either.
Of course, not everyone was sent a junk unit - but those of us that were... tough

I'm eyeing the G1W, but for now, I think my old iPhone 4 with Car Camera App is fine. I can move it between 2 vehicles easily, no permanent wiring. If you have an Android Phone, their Apps can run the recorder in the background, leaving Waze or an OBDII App like Torque running alongside it.

I've tried to figure out how to use my Android Tablet, but I fear it's too large to mount on the dash. ;-)

I've tried to figure out how to use my Android Tablet, but I fear it's too large to mount on the dash. ;-)
Check out the ProClip solutions. Depending on your tablet and car you might find a good solution that suits your needs. The thing is that the actual placement depends on your particular make and model. I can vouch for the iPhone5 holder on a Mazda6 dashboard...

But anyway, what you would spend on a ProClip solution would end up being roughly the same or even more expensive than a new G1W...

Or the Mobius for $70. It's small, has great video and you can use it so many different ways outside the car. It's a general nice video camera that also works great as a dash cam

Back