A Much-Needed DashCam Option

Only gripe i have with the memory cards is its micro ones the cameras use, and you need to be careful when handling them as they some times "launch" and then you might not find it again.
I have lost a couple of 64g cards this way. These things can get lost in plain sight!

I have lost a couple of 64g cards this way. These things can get lost in plain sight!

I dropped a card on an oriental style rug and it just disappeared in front of my eyes! I ended up crawling around on my hands and knees with a bright flashlight until I found it. It was found just about exactly where I dropped it!

My worst launch was with my first U3 64Gb card and it launched out the open car door, no fun at all crawling around on hands and knees on pea-sized gravel / stones for 30 - 40 minutes.
I actually given up on it, but then before setting off i looked down one last time and there it was in plain sight, as it turned out it must have bounced back towards the car as it hit the gravel / stones cuz i am sure it launched far out of the car, but it ended up just below the panel.

(Reaches for Tissue) ... That's such a beautiful story .. presented by kamkar, and coming to you all the way from Denmark.

You only get this stuff on DASHCAMTALK

Oh ... and no, I haven't lost a micro SD card. At AU$60-70 ... I'm in no hurry to.

Last edited:
I dropped a card on an oriental style rug and it just disappeared in front of my eyes! I ended up crawling around on my hands and knees with a bright flashlight until I found it. It was found just about exactly where I dropped it!
The like I gave you was akin to nervously walking by the cemetery. It is maddening how these things can disappear!

I "lost" one about 5 years ago in the car, I saw where it went and I was absolutely certain it'd dropped underneath the seat runner into the tiny cut-out in the carpet, I could no longer reach it, nor see it, and tried every painstaking method bar removing the seat to find it, with no luck.

A few weeks ago, I launched one out of the cam, it bounced off the window and down the side of my seat... I though "oh f**k not again"... I had an envelope in my door so I wedged it down the side to push the memory card under the seat where I knew my hand would fit and what did I find? the one I'd lost 5 years ago!! (plus the one I'd just dropped :D) 5 years of driving and vibrations must have worked the old one out into reach

bloody thing doesn't work tho!

I sort of like the idea, at least the option. Having this kind of memory cache would, if nothing else, help with flaky memory cards that are occasionally slow to respond, causing errors.

The problem is that RAM is completely volatile, i.e. if the power goes off or the camera fails all data is lost. This means you would be bound to using a camera with a battery rather than a capacitor, and many of us have seen batteries are problematic even with current modes of operation. Having to transfer the previous 15 minutes of video if power goes off would be harder, and even more prone to failure. And if the camera glitches and locks up for any reason, again, all data gone.

You could emulate your alternative way of working by having constant recording, but instantly overwriting old unwanted footage. That would be secure (from a privacy sense), but stress the memory card even more. Or delete the old unwanted footage and continue recording on a different part of the card, that would be kinder to the card, but deleted data could be recovered using software (so not securely deleted.)

So I think the main benefit would be ease of reviewing data. You can do that in other ways, e.g. when I review video I only look at files with the Read-Only flag set or ones placed in an event folder.

Kneeling on pea sized stones or such have actually been used as torture, i think its a Japanese approach.

Most parents may have tried to step on LEGO bricks on the floor with bare feet, kneeling on them are even worse after a short while.

might have to start marking the cards with a blacklight pen and break out the UV light when they go missing ;)

I got some waterprof UV ink and a 3watt UV flash light.
I give it a try.

no fun at all crawling around on hands and knees on pea-sized gravel
You are not the only one.:inpain:

I had a card fly out once it flew down my lovely lady,s blouse and lodged in her bra would this make it a mammary card instead of a memory card :D.......Ipol
Million to one shot :D:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Large mammary is always nice, especially when it's the high-endurance kind :D Then you can keep things going all night long :p

Phil

I had a card fly out once it flew down my lovely lady,s blouse and lodged in her bra would this make it a mammary card instead of a memory card :D.......Ipol
Did you retrieve it? :sneaky:

Yes I managed to retrieve it after several attempts LOL

might have to start marking the cards with a blacklight pen and break out the UV light when they go missing ;)

I got some waterprof UV ink and a 3watt UV flash light.
I give it a try.

I think the idea was so good and since I got all the equipment needed for the test I went ahead.

Does it work? Yes. Would you recommend it. NO

Most SD card is black and black does not reflect light very good (incl. UV), so you need some powerful UV flash light to flash it up. I have a 3Watt led, so plenty of "black" light and its only worked a night time.

My UV ink which should be a good quality and waterprof, come easy of the "slippy" surface on the SD card. So it won't last long, before its gone and that's the reason I say no. It will give a false security.
You either sand or better, paint with a white primer, so the UV ink can stick and you are good to goo. To much work, by my opinion.

Last edited:
or with a tracking device...LOL

Back