A parent's worst nightmare narrowly avoided

Don't care, pedestrians are always have the right of way at designated crossings unless controlled by a signal.

Looks like u were driving a bit fast there though.

Don't care, pedestrians are always have the right of way at designated crossings unless controlled by a signal.
As I have explained, THEY DO NOT always have right of way in the UK.
It doesn't matter what you care about, or what your opinion is. The fact is that pedestrians DO NOT have the legal right to walk into the road into the path of moving vehicles forcing them to stop.
It isn't legal, it isn't safe, it isn't smart. Period.

Looks like u were driving a bit fast there though.
Who is this comment aimed at? Me or the OP?

In my case, I never went over 10mph in a 30mph limit area - check the speed stamp.
I had unobstructed view of the junction, I saw the woman dithering, I was ready to stop if necessary, and I did slow down when she selfishly stepped into the road with disregard for rules and safety. She was never in danger from me, only from her own stupidity.

If anything, she was putting me in danger. By forcing me to slow down or stop there was a risk of a vehicle hitting me from behind, with me having no way of preventing it.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what you care about, or what your opinion is. The fact is that pedestrians DO NOT have the legal right to walk into the road into the path of moving vehicles forcing them to stop.

In my case, I never went over 10mph in a 30mph limit area - check the speed stamp.
I had unobstructed view of the junction, I saw the woman dithering, I was ready to stop if necessary, and I did slow down when she selfishly stepped into the road with disregard for rules and safety. She was never in danger from me, only from her own stupidity.

If anything, she was putting me in danger. By forcing me to slow down or stop there was a risk of a vehicle hitting me from behind, with me having no way of preventing it.

I often view videos thinking this is a bit fast, but see the same in my own recordings. I suspect this occurs when you appear to be behind the wheel with no control. Here I get to view videos from the world and realize driving is way different here in the USA.

IMHO, the driver of the white car is an irresponsible idiot. They had plenty of time to stop long before the kid got close to his lane and plenty of time to realize the kid was not looking. Sorry, the driver is older than the kid and should know better. Law or not, my dad made clear pedestrians always have the right of way. They got there first. Blaming the adult in the crosswalk is placing that child and your future in the hands of a complete stranger. Afterwards lawyers may determine otherwise, driver's should not.

A bump from behind is pocket change compared to hospital bills.

IMHO, the driver of the white car is an irresponsible idiot.
I agree. The pedestrians were on the crossing before he reached it, so he was legally required to stop, and could have done so. He should also have approached with more care, the children/school/crossing were all visible. And regardless of the law, he should have slammed on the brakes when he saw the kid run out.

But everyone should use the roads as responsibly as they can, not just motorists. You can't expect young children to act wisely, but it is reasonable to expect adults to follow the rules and use common sense. I have no respect for the twisted argument that pedestrians and cyclists are easily hurt so should for some reason be excused from the responsibility to act safely by shifting the blame onto motorists. No adult has the right to put himself at risk then blame someone else for not protecting him from the danger they created themselves.

Last edited:

"Looks like u were driving a bit fast there though."

I assumed he was saying that in jest as you actually crawled around the corner. I could be wrong though.

Ah. I'm always 'a bit slow' to pick up on that sort of thing.

My alarms allways go off where i see a fjew kids near the road, i assume they are as stupid and ignorant i was at the same age.
My alarms go off when I see kids or Pets. I tend to slow down when I see either of the two close to the road in the distance. Surprisingly, it seems dogs and cats have a better sense of road rules. Seeing less pet road kill, but hearing about more pedestrian fatalities.

edit: Since, meant to use sense . Had a drink and didn't have my senses.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, it seems dogs and cats have a better since of road rules.
I've been thinking that a lot recently. Most impressive are pigeons. They are daring little pests, strutting about in the road right up until you are right upon them. You think they are going under your wheels then whoosh you see them flying away.
If only there was some way for us lowly humans to regain such a highly honed instinct for self-preservation.

Back