A118 GPS speed not reactive

chris-s

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR750S-2CH, DR750X-2CH, A129-DUO, many others...
As you can see in this video, the GPS speed is not reactive.
When increasing and decreasing speed, it takes too long time to display the real speed.

My 0803 was not as bad.

Is there anything to do to fix it by firmware ?

In this video, my speed is 93 km/h at start and 50 km/h (GPS speed from my Garmin GPS) for second test before braking.

(please activate Youtube subtitle to see GPS speed overlay)

Maybe the unit doesn't have a great satellite lock? Whereabouts is the GPS placed? My GPS should be landing any day now so I'll try here too when it does. It arrived at Heathrow customs on Saturday so fingers crossed I'll have it by the end of this week (ordered on the 11th)

I've tried 2 GPS modules at different locations and even outside of the car ;)
Same issue...

RV reflects exactly the GPS speed displayed on dashcam screen.
The video was extracted with RV and subtitles come from RV as well.

the speed shown on the LCD will always have a delay, your speed in RV should be much closer to a real time result

No, the problem is the same with RV, like you can see on the video because subtitles, as I said before, come from RV.

Might seem like a dumb question but you do have the GPS the right way up?

Slow to update is often signal quality related

No, the problem is the same with RV, like you can see on the video because subtitles, as I said before, come from RV.
Perhaps your problem is with RV itself. I believe you are using a beta version (5.9.0.8), nest pas? Maybe the fix for scaling caused this. I still have the half speed problem with 5.9.0.0 but my speed display seems to track in a timely manner.

Yes, the logo "GPS" is facing up, opposite side of 3M adhesive.
I have this issue all the time, not a fix issue because the video was done after more than 1 hour driving outsite of city.

I use RV 5.9.0.8, but the speed that I see on the display when driving show the same issue as with RV.
So my conclusion is that the issue comes from the dashcam, not from the viewer.

Last edited:
I still have the half speed problem with 5.9.0.0 but my speed display seems to track in a timely manner.
It *seems* to work if you drive like "grandfather", slow acceleration and slow braking. But, if you drive "sport", the real time speed is not OK. I accept some latency like I have on my Garmin or TomTom GPS but the latency should not exceed 1 second, this was the case with my 0803 which working fine this way.

This is a video footage of my 0803 : hard braking from 90 km/h to 30 km/h.
You can see that the GPS speed is according approximatively to real speed, and do not react as with the A118.
The GPS antenna was at the same place.

Last edited:
Related to the above in that it involves A118, GPS Module and RV 5.9.0.0, has anyone had any luck with getting an Altitude reading? Mine stays blank in the window and no graph reading (H).
Also, when the camera first turns on there is briefly a graphical reading on G Sensor line that disappears as soon as GPS gets a lock. This also applies to Acceleration readings (X, Y and Z). They all lose color and just stay at 0. (It normally only takes a couple of minutes to attain a GPS lock.)
Anyone have any ideas? Or am I just looking for too much too soon for too little money?

It *seems* to work if you drive like "grandfather", slow acceleration and slow braking. But, if you drive "sport", the real time speed is not OK. I accept some latency like I have on my Garmin or TomTom GPS but the latency should not exceed 1 second, this was the case with my 0803 which working fine this way.

This is a video footage of my 0803 : hard braking from 90 km/h to 30 km/h.
You can see that the GPS speed is according approximatively to real speed, and do not react as with the A118.
The GPS antenna was at the same place.

It is the same thing if you look at speed on a Sat Nav, there I will always be a delay in a rapid speed change response. The signal you receive is from satellites ~11,000 miles up from a source giving a signal output of less than 30W, so it's doing pretty well!:D

Personally I reckon you're driving so fast the GPS can never get a proper fix!!:p

Absolutely not the same thing !!!
The latency delay of A118 is much too long compared to any sat nav or compared to 0803 !!

Didn't you look at both videos ?

Didn't you look at both videos ?
My comments were in relation to the one I saw from your Mini 0803, when Cattle Truck tried to shorten the length of your van/legs!:eek:

I hadn't seen your first video of with your A118, but I have now!! Clearly there is some issue there. Have you tried turning the GPS module over, just to see what happens??
I'll have a look to see what the A118 GPS module is doing in my wife's car this evening.;) I only installed it on Saturday.

By the way - my wife drives a lot like you in these videos, so I've started calling her "Sebastien Loeb"... and I've taken out new life insurance cover too.:p

Last edited:
Here is the video of the Registrator Viewer screen related to the first video posted (A118) .

You can see at the end that my position is incorrect.
My car is located before the intersection, and RV locates me after the intersection.

(I have removed the sound, was not synchro with image)

Last edited:
That's all suggesting a bad GPS lock off the unit I'd say - is that with 5.9.0.8? Is there any chance you could send me a link to that please so I can try it with the A118 GPS I have here (the GPS turned up today :) )

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, I use RV 5.9.0.8.
Link will be sent in MP, I do not know if I have the right to share it here in public because Vadim sent it by email to me.

Last edited:
Watching my today's driving.
It was a bit better sometimes, but not always.

Regtistrator Viewer make also the result worst because it refresh subtitles only every 1 second.
By watching directly on RV it was better for this video.

Back