A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Chris, I am just new here and saw your video with the camera mounted in the back window of your work van. You mentioned that you see the metal grid because it is about 2mm off the face of the glass.
I've said 2cm, not 2mm ;)
So I can't remove this reflection as you suggest.

Hi
I don't own this camera but I'm planning to order one. I have few questions about memory cards.
1. Is there any benefit of using a UHS-I or is it best to use just class 10 card.
2. Some users posted that 64 GB card works with this camera. Can you format them in camera or do you have to format them into FAT 32 on PC.
1. I don't know.
2. You have to use a tool to format into FAT32, and you should not format with camera.

I received my A118 from FoxOffer a couple of days ago. Tried it today and noticed that its not a seamless transition for the videos. Am I doing something wrong? I have it set to 1 min loopings

I received my A118 from FoxOffer a couple of days ago. Tried it today and noticed that its not a seamless transition for the videos. Am I doing something wrong? I have it set to 1 min loopings
It has 1 min 00 sec, 3 min 00 sec, 5 min 00 sec video files length and at first you think it has no overlap, but actually every next file begins with 1 sec from previous file. This is unusual for Novatek NT96650 based dashcams.
I had few dozens of NT96650 + AR0330 dashcams and most of them has 1 sec overlap from present file ( for example 3 min 1 sec, 5 min 1 sec ), but B40 / A118 has 1 sec overlap of previous file in the beginning of next file.

All Novatek cameras that I own, works like this, and my old DVR-027 as well.
There is no gap, but 1 or 2 seconds of last file are also written on next file.

Only my 0803 has perfect seamless recording, no gap, no overlap.

I think that there's a bug in the last firmware.

In playback mode I can't find the button to do a fast forward.
I think this was Mic button in previous firmware but I can be wrong.

Fast reverse is working with Rec button.

May someone send this request to developers ?

Could the issue regarding 1 or 2 seconds of the previous clip be addressed in a firmware update?

I plan on using to hardwire the A118. Would I just wire it to a fuse and ground?

Could the issue regarding 1 or 2 seconds of the previous clip be addressed in a firmware update?
No it won't. Same behaviour for all Novatek's cameras.

I plan on using to hardwire the A118. Would I just wire it to a fuse and ground?
Red to "positive after ignition" and black to ground. As simple as this.

Chris I noticed from one of your raw videos that this camera records at 12Mbps - it's actually really good quality for that size!

Exactly, it is far better than 0803 which has 15 Mbps or more.

I was surprised as I thought this was 15! I think this is the Novatek at the peak of it's performance, I really hope they can improve the A7 devices more as they are getting to grips with them. I'm so tempted to press buy on two of these A118s - just waiting to see what the GPS units are, in fact I wonder if they would work with the GPS units I already have!

That's a good point - I've not seen any proper A118 night time footage yet?!

What's the best (most reliable) file size to use with these cameras, assuming its being used as an accident cam?

Last edited by a moderator:
My A118 has just arrived. It took 12 days.

The Tracking service is of little use. It still shows 'Transporting' and '2014-06-16 14:49, Despatched to overseas (Country code: GB)'. I checked every day but it never changed. Out of interest I'll check again tomorrow.

However, it's here and it didn't cost me any extra. Arrived in the morning post.

I can't belive how small it is. The pictures of it make it appear much larger. It's equals about 2 Mobius ActionCams.

Also this morning, following advice, I checked the 64GB memory card for it that arrived from Amazon on Saturday. It shows as only 27.4GB. Flagged to Amazon and they immediately put another one in the post first class. Excellent response.

Now to install cam and check it out.

My A118 has just arrived. It took 12 days.

The Tracking service is of little use. It still shows 'Transporting' and '2014-06-16 14:49, Despatched to overseas (Country code: GB)'. I checked every day but it never changed. Out of interest I'll check again tomorrow.

However, it's here and it didn't cost me any extra. Arrived in the morning post.

I can't belive how small it is. The pictures of it make it appear much larger. It's equals about 2 Mobius ActionCams.

Also this morning, following advice, I checked the 64GB memory card for it that arrived from Amazon on Saturday. It shows as only 27.4GB. Flagged to Amazon and they immediately put another one in the post first class. Excellent response.

Now to install cam and check it out.
how did you check 64Gb memory card capacity?

Back