A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Your A118 is pointing too high, that's why you have an exposure issue.
Horizon line sould be under the middle of the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guessing it's VBR in that case? Interesting how the second road clip is 15.25Mbps whereas the very first clip posted was 12.45Mbps in the daytime though - maybe a change of settings too or is it possible one of them has been re-encoded?

Guessing it's VBR in that case? Interesting how the second road clip is 15.25Mbps whereas the very first clip posted was 12.45Mbps in the daytime though - maybe a change of settings too or is it possible one of them has been re-encoded?

New FW B40.20140523.001 has 15Mbps bit-rate. Probably chris-s forgot to mention this ;)

here is data specs:

Data.jpg

Last edited:
My A118 has arrived. Only took 8 days which I thought was impressive to the uk from China. Didn't have to pay any tax either.

Fro the couple of journeys I've used it on the image appears to be very good. Considering hardwiring in soon if it's good and continues to work. Anyone know the best one to use as noticed a few I've seen say they can interfere with the cars radio.

Like 0803 some days ago, A118 has disappeard from @FoxOffer website.
Out of stock ?
EDIT : A118 is out of stock now, it will be in stock on 2nd July or 5th July. (Foxoffer official information)

Last edited:
Got a reply from Sandisk re my 64GB card.

Please allow us to confirm that your Ultra 64GB microSD card seems to be a genuine SanDisk product and it is already registered with SanDisk for warranty purposes.

What is not clear from your email is the format of the card. A 64GB card needs to be formatted in exFat; Fat32 can give size limitations, like the one you are facing. Do you have the options to format your card in exFat? You can choose the format you prefer during format process.

If your Dashcam requires Fat32 this means that your Ultra 64GB card is not compatible with it, because it has to be formatted in exFat to be recognized on its full capacity.
Please bear in mind that memory cards of 64GB capacity and above use a file system called exFAT and are labeled as SDXC (Secure Digital eXtended Capacity); SDXC cards are not backward compatible with devices that can accept SD (Secure Digital) cards, but will work in SDHC compatible readers (not SD readers) if the computer’s Operating System supports exFAT. You may read additional information on SDHC/SDXC compatibility and supported Operating Systems on the following web pages:
SD/SDHC/SDXC Specifications and Compatibility
Operating Systems that Support the exFAT File System
I haven't replied to it because it's gone back and I'm getting a refund, but something isn't right. That's two Sandisk cards that have shown 27.5GB in SDformatter.

So I ordered a Samsung 64Gb and that just arrived. And guess what? It shows 26.5GB in SDformatter. There's definitely something funny here.

When first plugged in Windows 7 said it needed to be formatted - it did the same with one of the Sandisk's. So I formatted with SDformatter and it's no different. But why does it format as FAT32?

Sandisk said above that 'Fat32 can give size limitations' and I have. But how do I get it to exFAT to check the correct size in the first place?

Can someone here who has formatted a 64GB card to FAT32 and still sees 64GB tell me how they did it.

I don't think there is a fault with any of these three cards. It has to be something to do with my 2xPCs and my iMac (all using SDformatter).

Incidentally. All three cards came with an adapter and in each case I used the card with the supplied adapter.

OK. I now have the card showing 58.5GB in SDformatter and Win7.

I noticed that the icon/pic displayed in SDformatter showed SDHC - funny I thought. Shouldn't it be SDXC? (rhetorical).

Now I was using the adapter supplied and I plugged into my trusty card/USB adapter - that I always use - but it has printed on it SDHC!!!!!!

Fortunately I recently bought another USB adapter called MicroSD. So I plugged the card into this and plugged that into my PC.

Bingo!! First problem solved.

I haven't yet sorted getting it to FAT32. So far it always comes up exFAT.

OK. I think I've found the answer here http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...32-format-formatter-tool-utility-how-to.3693/

Last edited:
My Tesco SD card adapter only handles up to 32GB cards and refuses to see 64GB cards. Definitely something to be aware of!

It certainly is when dealing with 64GB cards. This was my first as all others are 32GB.

Anyway. Now 58.5GB Fat32.

But that was painful and the MicroSD adapter (used only once) went faulty.

It's all gone very quiet on here.

Is there any news re GPS firware and compatible antenna?

Does anyone use the long, triangular thingy that is called '18. Cable slot' on the instruction sheet?

Jim

Does anyone use the long, triangular thingy that is called '18. Cable slot' on the instruction sheet?

If i end up buying one of these for my wife's 2008 toyota sienna, i will use it. above the rearview mirror, there is a section of dots painted on the glass that comes down about 6-8 inches from the head liner, so i would need the triangular piece to cover up the wires, since the camera will be mounted so far away from the head liner. doesn't look like much in this pic, but the windshield is very long - even with my chest flat against the steering wheel, i can't reach the bottom center of the windshield from inside... and i have long arms.
08-sienna-interior.jpg

Jim

I don't use it because where I've positioned the cam I can't remove the memory card without removing the cam. If I'd used the 'cable slot thingy' I'd have had to leave a gap between it and the cam otherwise I couldn't slide the cam up off its mount. I thought this would look a bit silly.

I mounted the cam so that the lens was just below the black sun screen mesh. From outside the car, the mesh hides the main body of the cam (use black or transparent double sided tape to mount) and any cables.

I don't use it because where I've positioned the cam I can't remove the memory card without removing the cam. If I'd used the 'cable slot thingy' I'd have had to leave a gap between it and the cam otherwise I couldn't slide the cam up off its mount. I thought this would look a bit silly.

isn't the card slot on the left side, and thus not affected by the wire cover? i guess if you mount the cam on the right side of your mirror, then the mirror's stalk/arm could be in the way of the card slot.

i do agree though, that once the wire cover is in place, it doesn't look like it would be easy to remove the camera unit. how hard is it to snap the wire cover apart to allow you to remove the cam?

one other thing - i noticed this camera is now listed in the "New 2014" part of the site's front page, and it says NO SCREEN in the chart on the front page. Obviously it has one so this must be a simple typo.

The top shroud over the cable cover unclips easily and the camera can be removed quite easily with the base of the cable cover still in place

Back