A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Also this morning, following advice, I checked the 64GB memory card for it that arrived from Amazon on Saturday. It shows as only 27.4GB. Flagged to Amazon and they immediately put another one in the post first class. Excellent response.

Now to install cam and check it out.

There are a lot of 'fake' 32gb and 64gb cards on the net, and it has been going on for years (I had one back in 2010). On Ebay they are now shown as 'reworked' and there is usually a statement to the effect that they could be any size upward of 4GB.
If one was faulty, chances are the supplier has a number of faulty ones in the batch - you are one of the few (relatively speaking) who knows how, and thinks to check it.

how did you check 64Gb memory card capacity?

This will do it - although there are others
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

There are a lot of 'fake' 32gb and 64gb cards on the net, and it has been going on for years (I had one back in 2010). On Ebay they are now shown as 'reworked' and there is usually a statement to the effect that they could be any size upward of 4GB.
If one was faulty, chances are the supplier has a number of faulty ones in the batch - you are one of the few (relatively speaking) who knows how, and thinks to check it.

This will do it - although there are others
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml
Yes, I also use H2Test. Just wanted to know how @tonyl09 did this check to verify true capacity because inside dashcam with exFat does not always show true capacity. Only with system check like H2Test can verify. Also exFat 64Gb has to be formatted to Fat32.

Yes, I also use H2Test. Just wanted to know how @tonyl09 did this check to verify true capacity because inside dashcam with exFat does not always show true capacity. Only with system check like H2Test can verify. Also exFat 64Gb has to be formatted to Fat32.

Sorry - misunderstood your question.

Just as an aside, I used H2Test to check card capacity after re-formatting it in the camera and running the test whilst it was still in the camera connected by usb because my card reader on the laptop is faulty :mad:.

how did you check 64Gb memory card capacity?

Following advice given here, I used SDformater4 to format then H2testw. Both reported 27.4GB, as did Win7 Explorer Properties.

I haven't put a card in the A118 yet.

Following advice given here, I used SDformater4 to format then H2testw. Both reported 27.4GB, as did Win7 Explorer Properties.

I haven't put a card in the A118 yet.
OK. then it looks like fake memory card.
U wanna share link of purchase?

I've sent it back now.

Amazon made the same suggestion so I went to the site but the Amazon rep said he'd arranged a replacement so I didn't bother going further. The rep said there had not been complaints about that card so he was surprised.

Anyway, just going through settings on A118 to configure it. I see that the version supplied is B40.20140523.001, which I believe is the latest.

Now would like to know how the GPS side of things is progressing. Is the firware glitch sorted yet and what antenna to use?

Hey guys, I just bought the A118 and I've read through most of this post, but I don't remember seeing anything about the length of the charger that comes with it. I'm about to buy a micro SD card and was wondering if I should throw in an extension cable.

I have a Honda Accord and I want to plug it into the outlet in my center console. So I'd have it snake around the windshield, down the side, under the dashboard, and back up to, basically, the center of the vehicle.

Another question, on the Foxoffer website it says it supports up to a 32GB micro SD, is that true? Or does it support anything higher?

The cable will be long enough for your car.
I've tested with Sandisk 64GB formatted in FAT32, seems OK.

I've just measured mine (they can't touch you for it) and the cable itself is 3.95 metres.

Are these chargers interchangable? I've got my Mobius cable nicely routed and tucked away in my car and when the A118 takes over its duties I'd like to be able to use the Mobius charger/cable for the A118. Then use the A118 charger/cable for the Mobius which will be used as a hand held roaming cam. I would think they are compatible but dont't want to risk blowing either cam.

I've just measured mine (they can't touch you for it) and the cable itself is 3.95 metres.

Are these chargers interchangable? I've got my Mobius cable nicely routed and tucked away in my car and when the A118 takes over its duties I'd like to be able to use the Mobius charger/cable for the A118. Then use the A118 charger/cable for the Mobius which will be used as a hand held roaming cam. I would think they are compatible but dont't want to risk blowing either cam.
yes, you may use power cable from Mobius.

Thanks for that niko.

Got the replacement Sandisk 64GB card today. Same problem, 27.4GB.

Contacted Sandisk Support. They emailed instructions that told me to use SDformatter - which is what I'd already used of course.

I've reported back to them and provided copies of the prog dialogues and scan pics of the card front & back as they requested. The serial is on the back but is so small I couldn't read it with a magnifying glass. Scanned it at 4x size and then zoomed viewer and could read it.

Waiting to hear back from them.

In meantime I've done a couple of test runs in search of best setting for me. I was able to set resolution to same as Mobius 1280 x 720. The A118 video gives wider view than the Mobius.

A 5 min recording at above setting on both cams creates a file size of: Mobius = 258 MB, A118 = 277 MB.

I'll try a higher res next.

Investigations to find optimum settings continue. The A118 pic seems a little dark and I have the picture picking up as much of the dash as is acceptable. I will see if the EV setting can improve it.

Thanks for that niko.

Got the replacement Sandisk 64GB card today. Same problem, 27.4GB.

Contacted Sandisk Support. They emailed instructions that told me to use SDformatter - which is what I'd already used of course.

I've reported back to them and provided copies of the prog dialogues and scan pics of the card front & back as they requested. The serial is on the back but is so small I couldn't read it with a magnifying glass. Scanned it at 4x size and then zoomed viewer and could read it.

Waiting to hear back from them.

In meantime I've done a couple of test runs in search of best setting for me. I was able to set resolution to same as Mobius 1280 x 720. The A118 video gives wider view than the Mobius.

A 5 min recording at above setting on both cams creates a file size of: Mobius = 258 MB, A118 = 277 MB.

I'll try a higher res next.

Investigations to find optimum settings continue. The A118 pic seems a little dark and I have the picture picking up as much of the dash as is acceptable. I will see if the EV setting can improve it.
Its very good at day but night video still behind Mobius B lens and need to ne tuned up.

The A118 pic seems a little dark and I have the picture picking up as much of the dash as is acceptable. I will see if the EV setting can improve it.
Can you upload some video on Youtube ? Or a screenshot ?
My both A118 are OK with EV+0, no need to change this setting.

Can you upload some video on Youtube ? Or a screenshot ?
yes, will do whole report today-tomorrow.

Can you upload some video on Youtube ? Or a

screenshot ?

Here are short samples at different res & EV on a sunny day under trees and a tunnel.

EDIT: Videos deleted as no longer relevant.

The quality through YT is poor. But I think you can see the difference upping the EV made. I removed audio to reduce file size.

The cam isn't in it's intended position (currently occupied by the Mobius) and I hope that when it is I don't suffer the amount of reflection that can be seen in these vids. I get some with the Mobius but not this bad so I'm hoping it's position. It does look as though I may need to figure out a CPL filter.

Something that threw me was connecting the cam to my PC. With the Mobius just plug in and its appears as another drive. With the A11 you get a mouse like squeak and nothing appears on the PC. But if you look at the cam's screen it is displaying a menu showing 'Mass Storage' and 'PC Camera'. Select 'Mass Storage', press the middle Triangle icon button and AutoPlay springs into action on the PC because it is now recognized.

By the way. The second 64GB card is going back to Amazon. I haven't heard from Sandisk since I reported back to them so I contacted Amazon and put them in picture. I'm most impressed by their service. They actioned a refund and are withdrawing these cards from availability until sorted and getting their Tech people to check all current stock.

Last edited:
Back