A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

I'll try it if you like mate on my generic one to see if it functions?

My firmware is different to yours
Would you please talk only about A118 in this thread, in order for us all to keep our clear understanding ?
There is another thread for StreetGuardian.
This won't help A118 users to know that GPS is working on StreetGuardian...

Would you please talk only about A118 in this thread, in order for us all to keep our clear understanding ?
There is another thread for StreetGuardian.
This won't help A118 users to know that GPS is working on StreetGuardian...

Actually the fixes you have in your generic firmware are only because of the work we've had done for ours, nobody else has been pushing the development of this model, the Chinese brands that had been selling this model had made no requests for bug fixes at all

i've seen where some folks are running the "name-brand" firmware on their G1Ws with good results. maybe the same thing could apply here.

I don't feel like being a guinea pig, trying a different firmware on mine (esp since it's in my wife's car) though reverend seems to be ok with it. if it were more like my android phone, where the device itself had a built-in recovery so that it wasn't such a big deal to try new ROMs/firmwares on a whim, i might try it. but i don't know enough about this device to risk it.

After about 6 weeks, my A118 has stopped working. The only sign of life is the power led, the display and the other led's remain off. It worked quite well before, although I did have trouble with the card full error. The last few days, it sometimes powered up normally and sometimes it did not. I've sent a message to Foxoffer. Hope I can get this sorted soon.

I've been running some looping tests with my Samsung Evo microSD card and encountered a strange error (testing 5 min loop now, no issue with 3min). In the middle of the night the dashcam decided to stop recording. When I found it in the morning the clocked had stopped and buttons were unresponsive except to turn the screen on and off. The last recorded video file was also corrupted. Had to force a restart with reset button and everything is OK again. Running looping test again at 5min setting to see if I can reproduce the error.

Samsung 64GB EVO class 10 microSD, Model #: MB-MP64DA/AM

firmware B40.20140714.001

Good idea, will switch to 32GB if more issues. Just wanted to run testing to see if 64GB was stable. May be fluke, had no issue with 3min loop for past tests. I'm running testing for all loop times for fun.

I haven't mounted the cam in my car yet as I still haven't received it yet, it's been a month now to get it shipped from Ontario to Manitoba... But I have just been running loop tests on my Sandisk card which is working just fine. I have noticed a strong high pitch audible noise that is permanent which increases in pitch and volume depending on any background sounds that it picks up.

It's actually very distracting and kind of painful. So unless that's possibly fixed in a future update, I will be recording video only as audio is pointless atm.

the background noise is standard with Novatek chipsets, they all do it to some degree, better to have the audio there in case there's something audible that happens that's out of sight, you can always delete the audio track easily enough anyway

Yeah I guess that's reasonable. I just didn't expect a noise that prominent. It actually hurts my ears when the video is played back with a decent amount of volume.

That's strange, I don't have any kind of weird background noise in mine. go to my youtube channel and watch and listen to the night time video from my a118. the turn signals are very quiet in our van - most times if we're moving i can't hear the clicking... but you can easily hear them in the video. only other noise is the air conditioning and normal road noise, as i had the radio turned off.

maybe it's like that mosquito ringtone... 15-18khz or higher, and older people or people with damaged hearing can't hear it. if that's the case a simple notch filter can eliminate it when editing the video on a computer.

btw i'm the latter - i'm only 35 but i worked in an auto shop (lots of air tools) for almost a decade with no hearing protection.

maybe it's like that mosquito ringtone... 15-18khz or higher, and older people or people with damaged hearing can't hear it. if that's the case a simple notch filter can eliminate it when editing the video on a computer.

btw i'm the latter - i'm only 35 but i worked in an auto shop (lots of air tools) for almost a decade with no hearing protection.

I think that pretty much sums it up

Yeah, I can still hear it clearly in your videos as well. Not sure if youtube lowers sound quality along with video, but it's still audible to me anyway, just not as pronounced as my raw videos in vlc.

You must have done some good damage to your ears, you're still young bud. I'm 30, and 5 years difference shouldn't degrade pitch recognition that much. You should rock the thick ear mufflers from now on though any time you're working with loud tools. May look goofy, but protect what you have left!

Back