A118 records for 30 mins, then starts saving garbage

helix_3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Novatek A118, and it can only make (6) 5-minute recordings before it starts filling the SD card with garbage.

The 6 good files use up ~3 gb, and then the garbage will fill the rest of the card. The garbage files are properly named with the proper file extension, but cannot be read or opened in any way.

I'm using a genuine, 32 gb, class-6 MicroSD card. The A118 has had its firmware updated with version "FWB40A.bin", and this issue happens even after I format the card and try again. I checked the processor, and it's a genuine 96650. Also, the temperature of the car doesn't seem to be causing this.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

what BRAND? sandisk cards tend to have issues in novatek cameras.

also why only class 6? many 1080p cameras want class 10.

Sorry, I thought MicroSD was the brand. I guess this is just a generic card. Also I got the class 6 for a G1W, but after two counterfeits from Amazon I tried getting a different model.

Use h2test.exe to test the car to see if it's working. It's a free program

More than likely it's you card causing the issue.

Micro sd is essentially just the shape and physical size of the card itself. Might be worth paying a little more for a brand name card. There's a thread on here about which sd card some of us are using so that's a goods place to start.

Sorry, I thought MicroSD was the brand. I guess this is just a generic card. Also I got the class 6 for a G1W, but after two counterfeits from Amazon I tried getting a different model.

Ringading-ding, this was the issue. The card is GARBAGE, with only 3.5 gb of usable space. The rest is completely corrupted. I'm going to return it, but in case anyone's googling the phrase: do NOT buy the "32GB Micro SD SDHC Class 6 32 GB, NEW with Adapter in Retail Packaging" from seller millera.

looks like the seller "accidentally" left out a decimal place in the description (and presumably the label on the card itself)... it should have been 3.2gb. ;)

a decent 32gb class 10 card should cost about $20. any cheaper and it's probably a fake. also, please don't think i was trying to be harsh in my post where i emphasized "BRAND". just trying to be clear, which isn't always easy on the interwebs.

avoid sandisk as this camera has issues with them for some reason. so far, people seem to be fine with transcend, adata, ridata, kingston and samsung, just to name a few.

Back