A118C dark images

Artzone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got an A118C from Amazon here in the UK. It seems a little buggy. It records video and audio fine at first but later clips all share the same audio. It seems to get stuck and the video moves on but the audio stays the same. Also, haven't had much luck with the G sensor, it's way too sensitive. Even a small bump in the road sets it off and then all following recordings are protected. I switched the G sensor off.

Anyways, I can live with the above but the biggest problem is the video quality and in particular the exposure handling.

I left the EV setting and HDR at factory settings but some of the footage is really dark. I've added a couple of screenshots to show the issue. Both taken on the same day in similar conditions.

Is that what I should expect from the cam. Would a Mobius produce better images in the same conditions?

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2015-09-18-at-15.45.22.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-09-18-at-15.45.22.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen-Shot-2015-09-18-at-15.48.52.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-09-18-at-15.48.52.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 89
Check the Exposure settings, another recent poster had to go into the menu and play with it a bit.

It should be better than that.

I've just got an A118C from Amazon here in the UK.

Is that what I should expect from the cam. ?

No, this is not what to expect, those pictures are almost monochrome. My A118C had video like that and I changed the EV setting to +4/3 to get it just right. You should go through each of the +exposure settings and see the difference that it makes.

I've got the Elephas one from Amazon UK This week,
I've set the EV to +1 and that's cured the dark issue.
I've been driving with it everyday all day this week and have a similar problem with the sound.

It starts the day without any issue, about half way through the day the sound repeats a 5 second clip constantly. Video carries on as normal.
The A118C is always on until I unplug it at the end of the day. If I restart it during the day the sound will go back to normal...... For a time anyway.

Firmware Version Installed is: A118C.20150825.001

It is fulfilled by Amazon.

Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00VLYY04G
Could Amazon be supplying fakes?

I'm happy with the camera generally, works well. Apart from the cigarette adaptor which interfered with the radio and the a118c didn't like (kept turning off with it - another lead works fine). I still have time to send this back to Amazon but not sure as its otherwise is fine.

I'm not saying yours is fake, but it certainly sounds like it. I would send it back because it is not working properly anyway. Look through this forum for 'authorized sellers' and get yourself a known real A118C.

I will post up some footage tomorrow for the record. :)

You have to wonder about some of the reviews. :)

"Do buy the capacitor version over the battery and have it wired professionally, you then never have a reason to even look at the thing. It'll simply do it's job and loop recordings (over writing previous videos when your card is full) automatically."

Yes, that's the path to a happy user experience. :)

You have to wonder about some of the reviews. :)

"Do buy the capacitor version over the battery and have it wired professionally, you then never have a reason to even look at the thing. It'll simply do it's job and loop recordings (over writing previous videos when your card is full) automatically."

Yes, that's the path to a happy user experience. :)
While I agree that people should buy the cap version over the battery one any day of the week, and in an ideal world, you wouldn't have to touch your cam except in case of a crash... In the real world, cards fail so you need to check them regularly. I end up with so many lock files on my cameras due to bumpy roads and idiots that make me slam on my brakes (or press the lock button so I can add them to a YouTube video) I pull my cards almost weekly.

Last edited:
Mine is also dark sometimes, video attached if someone knows how i might be able to fix it

It is fulfilled by Amazon.

Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00VLYY04G
Could Amazon be supplying fakes?

I'm happy with the camera generally, works well. Apart from the cigarette adaptor which interfered with the radio and the a118c didn't like (kept turning off with it - another lead works fine). I still have time to send this back to Amazon but not sure as its otherwise is fine.

That's the version I had and I couldn't get the sound issue fixed. The exposure always seemed unreliable too, even after adjusting the EV. The firmware on that version seems to be buggy. In the end I returned it and switched to a Mobius instead. I'm happy with that for now :)

Is that link posted above for firmware on the A118C? And if so, what version number is it?

Back