A118c "Mass Storage" when connect to PC?

freeguy22

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
hi everybody

I bought an A118c from GearBest and its work perfect when connected it in car.

i read the user manual in "function description" number 7. about usb mode when connect it by PC, but the problem is when i connecting it to my laptop it showing massage " Mass Storage" i pressed all button but nothing work at all , just beep sound. i don't know what the problem??

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I assume you connected to a computer... And I don't know if there's a way of getting out of the Mass Storage mode when it's connected to computer via USB.

yup mass storage is all you get when connected to computer. it shows up just like a thumb drive and you can browse the contents easily.

yes i agree with you we can browse contents easily by PC when it connected to it.
but as per user manual page 11
"7.Connect the data recorder to the USB interface of a PC by using a data cable. then, the screen displays two modes:memory and camera.....etc"

for me it's just keep shows "mass storage" and buttons doesn't working! i want to go to camera mode.

They'll have removed that function from the firmware if it goes straight to mass storage mode.

At best you just have to hope that they reintroduce it at a later date.

i wouldn't count on it ever coming "back". my original a118 with a firmware from may 2014 never had camera mode either. my old f70 cam does have it, but i've never tried to use it.

i think you've got a generic user manual that wasn't properly edited to match the firmware used on your camera.

Gibson99, I have seen your A118c unboxing video and when you plug USB in, it start up and recording, i thought you connect it via PC.

anyway thanks for all

The camera mode was for web camera function not recording function when connected to pc

Web camera mode is pointless

Gibson99, I have seen your A118c unboxing video and when you plug USB in, it start up and recording, i thought you connect it via PC.

anyway thanks for all
No, I had those two USB cables connected to a wall charger, not a PC. If I connect them to a PC it will go to a solid blue screen and say MASS STORAGE. This is normal operation and is not an error.

Hi,

I bought Tiesfong B40/A118 from JooVuu. Dashcam in car is working well, but when I try connect it to PC it does not recognize. Dashcam has no blue screen with "mass storage" - it is working like connected in car. PC not recognize new hardware (dashcam) - no new device. As if it were not functional part for connection to PC.

Someone had a similar problem?

Showing up as mass storage is firmware dependant, the version you have may not support it, pull the card out and put it in a card reader is a better option

I want to avoid remove card, but if the connection to the PC is not supported by firmware, I will pull the card out.
But have question: why is mass storage disabled in firmware - made it problems? I have FW v. B40S.20150112.001

Hi,

I bought Tiesfong B40/A118 from JooVuu. Dashcam in car is working well, but when I try connect it to PC it does not recognize. Dashcam has no blue screen with "mass storage" - it is working like connected in car. PC not recognize new hardware (dashcam) - no new device. As if it were not functional part for connection to PC.

Someone had a similar problem?

Tiesfong said.
The B40s dash camera could not recognize the files via connecting it with PC by the data cable.
We have to pull out the TF card and read video files via card reader.
The PCBA has changed that it does not support the data cable to read files.

FYI

The camera mode was for web camera function not recording function when connected to pc

Web camera mode is pointless

I don't think the live cam function is pointless. My installation is complicated by a band of tint near the top of the window. I really wanted to use a laptop attached so I could see the video real time and make a decision on where to mount it WRT the band of tint. As it is now, all I have is video recorded from holding it in against the window, while trying to remember exactly where the cam was positioned. Using the image on the camera for this adjustment is a poor second choice. I hope the removal was for technical reasons and not as you indicated.

live cam function was probably removed to streamline/shrink the firmware and make room for other functions.
I really wasn't looking for a reason why. Since you suggested other functions, I took a look at my setup and the number of functions I have ignored or turned off. I have to wonder if maybe one or more pointless function was added in place of another.

they may not necessarily be visible functions. perhaps better GPS algorithms to get a faster lock, or more thorough white balance or exposure metering code...
the original A118 used to have a sound at shutdown, but now it's silent in newer firmwares. I expect something similar happened there, too.

also, in terms of software development - if there's a function/feature in there you don't think anyone uses, it's not a bad idea to remove it. that's just one less thing to break or troubleshoot when things do go wrong. i do this all the time in my day job, and i expect all halfway-competent coders to do the same. it may not be the quickest way to build code, but it certainly saves you from pulling out your hair when it comes time to debug. and it compiles faster, too. :)

Back