A118C vs G1WC in High Temperatures

MDashcam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR650GW-2CH, Street Guardian SG9665GC V3, G1WHC
I have been between an A118C and the G1WC for my next dashcam. My concern is overheating, my car will be parked outside for the most part in Orlando which tends to get very hot. With the G1WC I can hide it behind my sunshade, but that wont really work for the A118C. Anyone know if the A118C will be able to take the heat or should I go with the G1WC instead?

I just responded to almost exactly the same question in another thread not 10 minutes ago. :D

I previously had G1W-Hs (front and rear) in my wife's car. When at work her assigned parking faced directly north/south so one of the two cameras was always exposed to direct sunlight. On warmer days (anything above 90F) one or both cameras would consistently either fail to record or record and produce corrupt files.

I replaced them with a pair of A118-Cs and never once did either camera experience any problems at all, this even on days when the temps got up to near 100F. Given that my vote would be for the A118-C.

I have been between an A118C and the G1WC for my next dashcam. My concern is overheating, my car will be parked outside for the most part in Orlando which tends to get very hot. With the G1WC I can hide it behind my sunshade, but that wont really work for the A118C. Anyone know if the A118C will be able to take the heat or should I go with the G1WC instead?

Hi there stranger. G1W-C being further away from the windshield would help the overheating situation, so does the fact that it's a bigger camera with more space to dissipate the heat. A118C is more of a compact package, and while it does seem that the build quality of those is much better than the G1W series, the small size, closeness to the windshield and completely black casing gives me some concerns.

I did run a G1WH on 114 degrees in the Napa Valley sun (beautiful place, you should totally go there if you can) and it ran well, no focus issues of any kind, only thing is the fact the card went bad a few days earlier, so it couldn't record anything on it.

I recommend that you do get the G1W-CB instead of the G1W-C, as that metal ring is sure to catch some unkind people's attention, especially being Orlando.

I just responded to almost exactly the same question in another thread not 10 minutes ago. :D

I previously had G1W-Hs (front and rear) in my wife's car. When at work her assigned parking faced directly north/south so one of the two cameras was always exposed to direct sunlight. On warmer days (anything above 90F) one or both cameras would consistently either fail to record or record and produce corrupt files.

I replaced them with a pair of A118-Cs and never once did either camera experience any problems at all, this even on days when the temps got up to near 100F. Given that my vote would be for the A118-C.

Sorry, still new here and Ive never been great at finding threads on forums haha
Yea, my G1W was horrible in the heat and my G1WH didn't love it, but I was nervous with the design of the A118.

No problems here in Houston either. My car isn't parked in a garage or carport, and my windows are not tinted.

Awesome!

Hi there stranger. G1W-C being further away from the windshield would help the overheating situation, so does the fact that it's a bigger camera with more space to dissipate the heat. A118C is more of a compact package, and while it does seem that the build quality of those is much better than the G1W series, the small size, closeness to the windshield and completely black casing gives me some concerns.

I did run a G1WH on 114 degrees in the Napa Valley sun (beautiful place, you should totally go there if you can) and it ran well, no focus issues of any kind, only thing is the fact the card went bad a few days earlier, so it couldn't record anything on it.

I recommend that you do get the G1W-CB instead of the G1W-C, as that metal ring is sure to catch some unkind people's attention, especially being Orlando.

Ordering from BBMC so no G1W-CB option, I might plastidip the silver ring to hide it if I went with that, but so far the A118C seems like it'll be ok in the summer.

Sorry, still new here and Ive never been great at finding threads on forums haha....
No, I'm sorry I wasn't a bit clearer with my comment. I wasn't implying that you should have found my other posting. I just found it somewhat amusing that the same question would have been asked in 2 different threads in such a short time - hence the 'smiley' on my comment.

Back