A118C with powerbank?

inspire

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone use the B40 / A118C with a power bank? I just ordered the A118C not too long ago and was looking into one of those USB powerbanks. There are so many out in the market today that I am not too sure which one I should buy, and which one won't cause a problem with the A118C. I don't need a pass through, just a power bank that will power my A118C for 8 - 10 hours a day.

yes they work with powerbanks, best if it's the type that doesn't auto sense as they can think the camera is charged and then shutoff

yes they work with powerbanks, best if it's the type that doesn't auto sense as they can think the camera is charged and then shutoff

I'm not very knowledgeable on amps, voltage etc, I know the input voltage on the A118C is 5V at 1A. So if I buy any powerbank greater than 1A output, it should be good right?

I'm not very knowledgeable on amps, voltage etc, I know the input voltage on the A118C is 5V at 1A. So if I buy any powerbank greater than 1A output, it should be good right?

that's will be suitable output, there's a section here dedicated to batteries etc, maybe best to look there and see what others are using, the Anker models are popular, there's probably others worth checking also

I use a118 with xioami 10400 mah powerbank.It records all the time of the day about one year without any problem.i have 64gb sd card.xioami has a pass through specification.

@overhead Hi can you tell us how long can you record with one charge of the power bank? Thanks

I record nearly 25 hours with one charge.I use xioami 10400mah.my camera is a118 with 1080p record mode.

So, is it feasible to use one of these units to power a camera and use a 12v USB convertor to charge it from the car? Have the 12v USB plugged into a switched cigar plug so when ever the car is running it charges the power bank? This would eliminate the need for a Power Magic pro style of device and take the strain off the cars battery. I must be missing something or everyone would be doing this.....

The power bank won't charge and run the camera at the same time, even some of the ones I've seen that claim to do pass through charging don't do it correctly and will die pretty quickly

Yes,i do it as your explanation.if xioami finishes on the way,i switch cigar plug for charging.while it is being charged,camera goes on recording."pass through" spec..that's why i choose xiaomi

The power bank won't charge and run the camera at the same time, even some of the ones I've seen that claim to do pass through charging don't do it correctly and will die pretty quickly

Ok, well I figured there must be a reason. But now my interest is peaked. I'm thinking that with the use of some diodes and relays there might be a solution to this......have to give it some thought.

Main reason is it's not good to use lipo batteries in a hot car, which it will be when parked

Agreed, what about a small sealed lead acid?

I have used powerbank for 15 months in -10 to 45 degrees without any problem.

Wouldn't give you anywhere near the kind of run-time you would get from a lithium battery.

Ok, yes I was think that as well. I have ordered that 2 position relay and will do some experimenting with making my own system that charges from the car and powers the camera from a power bank when the car is off.

Back