A119 does not boot up-locks up on Name screen

Smiley

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119V.1(1), A119V.2 (6), A119V3 (1)
My A119 (Version 1) does not boot up-it powers up and then locks up on Name screen. It never gets past the VIOFO Screen. Before this it has been working perfectly for many months. I tried 3 different cables, powered the GPS module as well as powered the camera directly, and tried 3 different memory cards. It is not recognized when connected to my computer (MacBook Pro).

As this is something that has never happened to me before, I’m wondering if anybody has any ideas of what I could do before I send it back for warranty repair or replacement. Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Reinstall the firmware. Default your settings after the reload. If you were powering through the GPS mount, I would start to power directly to the camera after the reload (assuming you have a V1 camera).

Reinstall the firmware. Default your settings after the reload. If you were powering through the GPS mount, I would start to power directly to the camera after the reload (assuming you have a V1 camera).

That's all well and good........ But, can you explain why after months of reliability it suddenly needs a firmware reload

That's all well and good........ But, can you explain why after months of reliability it suddenly needs a firmware reload
If he was powering through the GPS mount on a V1 camera and it was periodically restarting, it could have corrupted the firmware. Could also be a bug somewhere in the firmware. Viofo has just recently posted that they think they fixed the bug that corrupted the firmware causing a bunch of X's to appear on the screen and freezing the camera. Reinstalling the firmware fixed that issue as well. Possible it's all related.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your suggestions seemed to work fine. I reloaded the firmware and reset the defaults. I will power the camera directly now. This was a camera that was used in the back of the car so it wasn't checked very often, It's not easy to get to. Since It didn't even boot up, it couldn't alert me to the fact that it wasn't working right. So much for set and forget. I usually check all my cameras once per month just to be sure everything is working properly–but I guess that may not be often enough especially if it's a camera that is not easily accessed and whose screen you cannot verify shows you it's working. I guess you can't depend on error messages or alert sounds all the time. This camera actually has not been recording properly for two and a half weeks now. The reason I noticed it was that the suction mount fell off. If it wasn't for that I would have had no clue what it wasn't working properly until I checked it for the monthly review. That's scary that it could not be working for that period of time and I wouldn't know about it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your suggestions seemed to work fine. I reloaded the firmware and reset the defaults. I will power the camera directly now. This was a camera that was used in the back of the car so it wasn't checked very often, It's not easy to get to. Since It didn't even boot up, it couldn't alert me to the fact that it wasn't working right. So much for set and forget. I usually check all my cameras once per month just to be sure everything is working properly–but I guess that may not be often enough especially if it's a camera that is not easily accessed and whose screen you cannot verify shows you it's working. I guess you can't depend on error messages or alert sounds all the time. This camera actually has not been recording properly for two and a half weeks now. The reason I noticed it was that the suction mount fell off. If it wasn't for that I would have had no clue what it wasn't working properly until I checked it for the monthly review. That's scary that it could not be working for that period of time and I wouldn't know about it.
Powering through the GPS mount was probably what caused your issue. Power the camera directly and I think you'll be fine.

We found this is caused by a firmware bug, we have new firmware now, will list on our website soon.

Back