A119 Firmware

:) I think Voifo mentioned:
1. the card formatted by a camera will (have Fat32 file system) (should) be writable and readable by a camera (and some other devices, like PC).
2. the card formatted to a Fat32 not by a camera may not be writable and readable by a camera.
:)

that, and to ensure that the card is totally blank except for the update file. don't want any extra folders or files kicking around that might cause trouble.
not correct.
the update files should be in the root directory (the highest level before any folders).
and most likely you loose no file.

well, people that have no idea what the "root directory" is should use their iphone to capture any video event they like instead of using a dash camera. :)

well, people that have no idea what the "root directory" is should use their iphone to capture any video event they like instead of using a dash camera. :)

it's a mistake to assume that everyone has the same level of knowledge when it comes to these things

it's a mistake to assume that everyone has the same level of knowledge when it comes to these things
correct.
anyone even thinking to purchase a dash camera should first try to imagine what they are about to get into.
:)

Thanks @viofo for the new FW for A119. And thanks to @Mtz for the Romanian translation of the camera menu!
I've noticed that now the default video resolution is 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps.
Yes, something mixed, we have replaced it with new one.
We will do more testing before we update to production line for mass production.

Thanks @viofo for the new firmware, great work guys! :) Very clear instructions too, just went in my car with my laptop and a spare miniUSB cable and one minute later done.

Last edited:
I'm yet to flash this but just wanted to confirm if the emergency lock button is working now even if G sensor is disabled ?. Didn't see it in the changelog hence asking.

to ...lets say 1441p? :)
I was asking about bitrate , not resolution.
So Mtz... to update can I just use my cam and not the pc. I can load the loader first onto my card from pc then put it in cam (like the old days) then I delete the loader and do the same step for firmware
I was explaining how to access the camera menu .
About PC and upgrading , also I can upgrade without PC but I need two cards , one with loader and one with firmware . If using only one card you still need something where to insert the card and delete or copy the firmware .

enjoy ,
Mtz

Updated mine, no problems.

@viofo - for those considering buying A119, when you update firmware with new features should you also be updating your "Quick Start Guide" as here?: http://www.viofo.com/download/VIOFO A119 User Manual.pdf

If this falls behind what can be done with new firmware installed buyers may buy elsewhere. While you're at it, make the button symbols and diagrams visible AND also in the printed version in the A119's box. Thanks.

if you've ever flashed a custom rom on an android phone, think of it this way: the loader is equivalent to upgrading your Recovery. then the main bin file is the equivalent of the custom OS/ROM/System. you don't always have to update your loader/recovery when flashing a firmware/ROM, but some firmwares/ROMs require an updated loader/recovery.

perhaps another analogy might be on a PC - you can upgrade to a new BIOS (loader), and then install a new OS(bin/firmware) like Linux or Win10. Upgrading the OS doesn't always require a new BIOS/loader.
That's all mumbo jumbo, I'm not on your level on this

Thanks for the Romanian! and great work on supporting this. Its great to see a Chinese product that can be proud of its name. You guys are beginning to break the imitation tradition and build your own original products.

Reactions: Mtz
David how did you get to be so knowledgeable in such a short span of time? I am so confused about this updating firmware that @viofo invented for us. What ever happened to the simple update method (one card one bin) and it's done. All I know that with the SG9665GC it is so simple.
I just followed the instructions! ;)
Took me maybe two minutes?

Last edited:

Last edited:
David how did you get to be so knowledgeable in such a short span of time? I am so confused about this updating firmware that @viofo invented for us. What ever happened to the simple update method (one card one bin) and it's done. All I know that with the SG9665GC it is so simple.

coming from rooting and installing custom ROMs on Android devices, I can understand why the bootloader needed to be updated due to changes in not only the firmware but probably deeper level access was required in order to make changes. Probably so that other future updates can add new features etc. In spite of all this, i do agree that it can be certainly confusing for new users wanting to upgrade....but Viofo did a great job in making the instructions very clear and easy to follow.

I was asking about bitrate , not resolution.
what's the bitrate you would like to have in your camera?

I only expected to have 22-24mbps for 1440p.
Thanks for the Romanian! and great work on supporting this. Its great to see a Chinese product that can be proud of its name. You guys are beginning to break the imitation tradition and build your own original products.
This means great support from manufacture by listening the the customers and we should support them and their products. I was always a supporter for companies which are offering firmware updates. Maybe is an advantage to be a small company because they are closer to the people and not treating us from their top position over a mountain of money.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back