A119 first impressions

focus could be a touch short but not really the best picture to judge from, everything is too far away to be able to judge focal distance

focus could be a touch short but not really the best picture to judge from, everything is too far away to be able to judge focal distance

I can crop it however you like, i've got 20 minutes of recording this morning. Or I can dump a raw out on the net.

I can crop it however you like, i've got 20 minutes of recording this morning. Or I can dump a raw out on the net.

not a matter of cropping it you need something where there's more in the focal range, everything is too far out, car park, stopped in traffic etc is best, something where there's a lot of different things in range, you want to be able to see what's in focus and what isn't, full frame grab at native resolution is best

this sort of scene

screenshot.jpg

here I am parked.

bNqftsI.png

looks pretty sharp in my opinion. I wouldn't expect too much more out of a tiny sensor and lens.

looks pretty sharp in my opinion. I wouldn't expect too much more out of a tiny sensor and lens.

Doesn't it look a bit blurry to the left, compared to the right? Maybe I need to wash my windshield :D

Doesn't it look a bit blurry to the left, compared to the right? Maybe I need to wash my windshield :D

yup, it does. you're right. it's been like that on 75% of the dash cams I've gone through, though. at this price-point, quality control may not be able to put in the amount of time to get the lens and sensor aligned just right for equal focus through the whole frame. :) and there are a few more factors like windshield curvature and angle that will affect the perceived focus.

yup, it does. you're right. it's been like that on 75% of the dash cams I've gone through, though. at this price-point, quality control may not be able to put in the amount of time to get the lens and sensor aligned just right for equal focus through the whole frame. :)

yeah, and now that I am looking at it more, it's like 1/5th the frame :s In that picture I was parked, no movement.

No doubt in my mind that's a lens issue and not your windshield.

Wonder if they'd replace it? I went back to watch video, and a few other posted videos, mine is indeed blurrier then others.

In order to be able to read something small you need to be close to it. That's when you will see how sharp this camera is, even at speed. This picture was taken at 55 mph. The mailbox and street sign are readable.

Attachments

• Selection_009.png
    Selection_009.png
    774.6 KB · Views: 59
In order to be able to read something small you need to be close to it. That's when you will see how sharp this camera is, even at speed. This picture was taken at 55 mph. The mailbox and street sign are readable.

Define close? I guess I should re adjust my assumptions to what the capabilities of the camera are.

Easy way to prove that - remove the windshield out of the way and see if the image improves.

I think if you put your eye as close to the glass as the camera is and then looked through the curved glass at the same angle as the edge of that image then you would not get a very clear or well focused view, some of the issue will be the windshield.

vivi, you're definitely correct about the imperfections that you see. in my experience (~15 dashcams), I can only expect so much from a tiny camera that is built to a certain price point. I'm a photography enthusiast and I'm definitely critical when it comes to spending money on bodies and lenses. but I also know about the limitations of sensors and lenses through research and my own experience.

vivi, you're definitely correct about the imperfections that you see. in my experience (~15 dashcams), I can only expect so much from a tiny camera that is built to a certain price point. I'm a photography enthusiast and I'm definitely critical when it comes to spending money on bodies and lenses. but I also know about the limitations of sensors and lenses through research and my own experience.

Yeah, i'll bug viofo to see what they think, but if its within specs, i'll suck it up. I just kind of want something to record the **** that goes on during my commute, haha.

Define close? I guess I should re adjust my assumptions to what the capabilities of the camera are.
How much can you expect from a sub $100 camera with a tiny lens. "Close" depends on how small the letters are. IMO being able to read street signs and license plates when you are going 55 mph is excellent. The color balance is very good considering that the lighting is constantly changing and the lighting on one side of the image can be quite different than the lighting on the other side. I think they have done a marvelous job with the technology in this camera.

How much can you expect from a sub $100 camera with a tiny lens. "Close" depends on how small the letters are. IMO being able to read street signs and license plates when you are going 55 mph is excellent. The color balance is very good considering that the lighting is constantly changing and the lighting on one side of the image can be quite different than the lighting on the other side. I think they have done a marvelous job with the technology in this camera.

Yeah, I went under a few overpasses, and it had no problem with the light differences, which I had read can be an issue on a few other cameras. Just waiting for night time to see how it looks too.

Yeah, i'll bug viofo to see what they think, but if its within specs, i'll suck it up. I just kind of want something to record the **** that goes on during my commute, haha.
I'm on my phone, so can't really comment on your pic, but making sure you window and camera lens is clean is a good starting point. Also, I sometimes get some nasty reflections of my dashboard onto the windshield that sometimes make the video appear blurry in those areas. Sort of an illusion I guess.

Back