A119 first impressions

Hello
i finally get the a119 cam from foxoffer
i have few problems
1. when i start the camera i receive the massage all data will be deleted and its back again when i start the engine
2.the screen saver dosent work i need to press the button for screen off
3. can i remove the viofo a119 stamp on the video?
my version is A119.160607.V1
thanks

1 format message is normal every time you put the card in a computer. Just click the bottom right button to move the highlighted item on screen then hit triangle to format and it will begin recording. This helps guarantee there are no hidden files on the card from the computer that could cause problems.
2 screen saver just turns the screen off, it doesn't show pretty pictures like a computer.
3 I don't think it can be removed unless you turn off the time and date stamp.

Wow the A119 sample on the top is really sharp! I'll be waiting to see samples from the A119S before choosing.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I've got a newbie question.

I just got the Rexing V1, which is fairly old model now. Should I return it and get the A119 instead? Does it matter that A119 doesn't appear to have WDR? TIA.

I just got the Rexing V1, which is fairly old model now. Should I return it and get the A119 instead? Does it matter that A119 doesn't appear to have WDR? TIA.

I guess it will depend on how much you paid for the Rexing V1. But I would think the A119 is better in video quality than the Rexing V1. I don't remember if it had WDR option (think it did in the settings...) or not, but I don't think it matters too much.

I guess it will depend on how much you paid for the Rexing V1. But I would think the A119 is better in video quality than the Rexing V1. I don't remember if it had WDR option (think it did in the settings...) or not, but I don't think it matters too much.
paid $80 shipped for the rexing and it looks like the A119 is only $10 more at $90. rexing has WDR, which i thought was a big deal to accommodate all kinds of lighting conditions, no? the A119 doesn't appear to have this feature based on the specs at Viofo's site.

The Rexing V1 video quality should be equal to our A118C.
A119 support 1440P and better night performance, also GPS module is build-in mount instead of long GPS module cable.

paid $80 shipped for the rexing and it looks like the A119 is only $10 more at $90. rexing has WDR, which i thought was a big deal to accommodate all kinds of lighting conditions, no? the A119 doesn't appear to have this feature based on the specs at Viofo's site.
It has WDR option.
WDR.jpg

Tested the A119 for heat focus shifts. Threw it in my hacked toaster oven (PID Thermal Controller + Thermistor) at 60C for ~40 minutes . Minor loss in details - quite good overall.

Just Put In

T+37 Minutes

Last edited:
Received my A119 last night from Spytec and tried it late this afternoon without the GPS.

The Good:
At 1440P the videos are fantastic. Even at 30fps the video is smooth. Very good focus and color with no blue or yellow tint. The edges are sharp. Street signs can be read while going 55. What I'm seeing on my PC using VLC player is better than any of the A119 videos posted in this forum.

I went through the menu selections and it was simple and the changes stuck. I chose WDR On.

The camera dismounts from the non-GPS mount quite easily, especially after I worked on it a little.

The Bad:
1) GPS mount - Out of the box the camera connects too tightly to the GPS mount to be removable once attached to the windshield, YMMV. I spent a good deal of time working on the connectors to get the unit to disengage more easily and it now works more smoothly, but I don't think it will be practical to remove the camera from the GPS mount daily. If that's what you are planning, then you will want to improvise a different solution (like using velcro).

2) After connecting and disconnecting the camera and the GPS mount several times one of the spring loaded gold pins is permanently depressed in spite of the fact that I applied dielectric connector grease to the pins and the connectors while they were all healthy. Never-the-less the GPS unit still connects properly to the camera.

3) USB connections - both USB connections seem too tight to remove a cable while the unit is mounted on the windshield, YMMV.

The picture was taken on a 2 lane road while I was going 55. The front license plate is readable and the lack of blur is notable. This guy is almost next to me.

Attachments

• Selection_008.png
    Selection_008.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 65
Received my A119 last night from Spytec and tried it late this afternoon without the GPS.

The Bad:
1) GPS mount - Out of the box the camera connects too tightly to the GPS mount to be removable once attached to the windshield, YMMV. I spent a good deal of time working on the connectors to get the unit to disengage more easily and it now works more smoothly, but I don't think it will be practical to remove the camera from the GPS mount daily. If that's what you are planning, then you will want to improvise a different solution (like using velcro).
The GPS mount will be minor improved in next version, so not so tightly, you can try to remove the label on the GPS mount.

The Good:
At 1440P the videos are fantastic. Even at 30fps the video is smooth. Very good focus and color with no blue or yellow tint. The edges are sharp. Street signs can be read while going 55. What I'm seeing on my PC using VLC player is better than any of the A119 videos posted in this forum.

I went through the menu selections and it was simple and the changes stuck. I chose WDR On.

The camera dismounts from the non-GPS mount quite easily, especially after I worked on it a little.

The Bad:

2) After connecting and disconnecting the camera and the GPS mount several times one of the spring loaded gold pins is permanently depressed in spite of the fact that I applied dielectric connector grease to the pins and the connectors while they were all healthy. Never-the-less the GPS unit still connects properly to the camera.

3) USB connections - both USB connections seem too tight to remove a cable while the unit is mounted on the windshield, YMMV.

The picture was taken on a 2 lane road while I was going 55. The front license plate is readable and the lack of blur is notable. This guy is almost next to me.
If you were going 55 and that guy was going around the same, then I'd say that's a great picture.
The GPS mounts do fit tight, but probably nothing a little sandpaper/file can't fix (on the mount, not the camera body). After your sure your keeping the camera of coarse.

Speaking about GPS mount: I found that there is too much clearance in GPS mount to allow for side to side movement thus affecting the camera angle.

Speaking about GPS mount: I found that there is too much clearance in GPS mount to allow for side to side movement thus affecting the camera angle.
Not sure I understand what you mean.

I just got my A119, it's not bad for my first dashcam. I am going 35~ and I cannot read stop signs though while watching in VLC, during the day which surprised me. It's all a bit blurry/grainy. I am running 1440p30, should I try 1080p60?

I just put on the latest beta firmware, we will see if that helps.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand what you mean.

While it is really tight, it can be twisted left and right on the mount (too much lateral movement). There is enough clearance to allow a few degrees of movement, this results apparent horizontal tilt in the video, and is quite fiddly to get right (so horizon is leveled).

I just got my A119, it's not bad for my first dashcam. I am going 35~ and I cannot read stop signs though while watching in VLC, during the day which surprised me. It's all a bit blurry/grainy. I am running 1440p30, should I try 1080p60?

I just put on the latest beta firmware, we will see if that helps.

So I ran new firmware this morning, and it still looks quite blurry. It is only readible if they are withing a few feet of me, and going the same speed/stopped.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 34
Back