A119 Mini - Review / Testing

You are wasting your time. HDR it's only for night time use. That's why it's programmable.
There is no need for HDR in day time.
Yes, but there is no reason why Viofo cannot improve their daytime HDR video as well.

I would like to see him test the night footage as well, but I think he is waiting on Viofo to fix the daytime HDR footage.
There are clear improvements since the last firmware that he compared, and I think Viofo still has some ways to go.

My only conclusion for daytime footage after seeing his video comparisons are:
Viofo non-HDR >>> Vantrue non-HDR >>> Vantrue HDR >>>>> Viofo HDR

Things may be different with a night footage comparison...

Yes, Vantrue works better with HDR on in day time than Viofo in the same conditions, but also Viofo performs better in night time.
So, my personal guess is that the cost of a good HDR in day time will be with some loss of HDR quality in night time.

The better overall and strong option is an HDR properly tuned for night time and no HDR in day time.
Otherwise it will be an compromise.

All the manufacturers should focus to night quality. Almost all dashcam already have decent,very good or enough quality for evidence in day time videos but only one or two can capture license plate at night and not all the time.

Last edited:
You are wasting your time. HDR it's only for night time use. That's why it's programmable.
There is no need for HDR in day time.
Good HDR should work both day and night. There is less need for HDR in daytime, but there should be no disadvantage to using it. Might have to wait for the Starvis 2 sensors to get good HDR though!

Today, I drove my car on my weekly shopping trip route. The v1.1_1010 test firmware for the A119 Mini with HDR enabled still looks off/odd. The other VIOFO dash camera model (unannounced product being tested) with HDR enabled looks far better than the A119 Mini with HDR enabled. HDR is certainly helping in the A119 Mini and other the VIOFO dash camera video since you can see the writing on the flexible sign on the pole on the right side of the field of view. The A119 Mini with HDR disabled results in that same sign being overexposed and you cannot make out the writing on the sign.

A119 Mini with HDR enabled and CPL – v1.1_1010 test firmware
1665784967237.png

A119 Mini with HDR disabled and CPL – v1.1_1010 test firmware
1665785022708.png

VIOFO Dash Camera with HDR enabled and CPL
1665785085888.png

Today, I drove my car on my weekly shopping trip route. The v1.1_1010 test firmware for the A119 Mini with HDR enabled still looks off/odd. The other VIOFO dash camera model (unannounced product being tested) with HDR enabled looks far better than the A119 Mini with HDR enabled. HDR is certainly helping in the A119 Mini and other the VIOFO dash camera video since you can see the writing on the flexible sign on the pole on the right side of the field of view. The A119 Mini with HDR disabled results in that same sign being overexposed and you cannot make out the writing on the sign.
I think that other camera is combining the exposures with a completely different algorithm, due to HDR being built into the newer SoC, you are never going to get the A119 Mini looking that good. At last, Novatek are actually making some very good progress with HDR on their new products, combined with the new Sony STARVIS 2 sensors, there is a big improvement in dashcam image quality coming soon!

Last edited:
A119 Mini - HDR - VIOFO App

VIOFO has released v2.9 for iOS and v3.2.6 for Android of the VIOFO app which adds support for the new HDR feature in the A119 Mini starting with firmware V1.1_0817.
Have you recorded any night footage on the A119 Mini with HDR enabled?

Have you recorded any night footage on the A119 Mini with HDR enabled?
Not yet, but I will be within the next week. I've been getting a series of test firmware's from VIOFO (latest v1.1_1010). I'll see if there are any further updates to test and then gather my nighttime footage for this camera and the other one I'm testing from VIOFO.

Back