A119 OTG capabilities

JharwinBlack

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Just got my a119 with GPS two weeks ago, I'm just wondering what to do if one day I'm into a badluck (knock on wood, that it wont happen) that I need to access urgently the video files recorded without having it connected to USB cord from car for power. This is just in case the traffic enforcer or the police wanted to watch also the video for evidence or some sort. It would be awkward that I need him to go inside the car and watch the footage. I'm not sure if the a119 supports OTG to an android device and play the video right into the phone.

PS:
Aside from the a119, I also have a mobius looking at the rear of my car. I tested the mobius for OTG to my android phone and works flawlessly using the VLC android app.

So this means a119 can't? o_O I have this USB to OTG cable. Works nicely on mobius. Just plug to phone, and plug the usb to miniusb directly to the mobius.

USB-OTG.png

highly unlikely as the camera needs at least 1A power supply to operate correctly but you could just plug a USB card reader into that cable
I have a similar cable/adapter as the one pictured above (but with a lightning connector) and neither my iphone nor ipad will work with it. Don't recall exactly what it says, but it's something to the effect of "not enough power".

So out of curiosity, I still tried to connect my a119 using the above usb to otg cable then directly connect it to the camera. It power up instantly showing the blue screen with 'mass storage', my android was still able to fetch all the files and viewable in file manager. But once I selected a footage, and tried to play it on VLC android, it will play but only sound can be heard. It loads up the first frame then stopped, audio was still playing though. :p

I therefore conclude that my android can't provided atleast 1A, and directly connected OTG won't work.

likely it's a playback/codec issue, try some files at 1080p30 and it will probably be ok

that's exactly the conclusion I arrived at. the 1080 files from my mini 0805 play fine on an android device but not the higher resolution, higher bitrate 21:9 ratio files.

Can anyone suggest a way to watch the A119 videos on the iPhone without a computer? Thanks.

For those interested, I bought one of these to try out and it seems to work fine. It only works for Apple products with lightning connector though. It was $8.99 and ships via prime (if you have it). I was going to try one like in the above post, but was worried it might not fit properly with the case on my phone.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01MU07761Lightning USB.jpg
Lightning USB Cable.jpg

Last edited:
Can you please provide a link? I can't seem to find it online.

Thanks. I like that it has a cable. Like you said, it will work better with a case. Also, it looks less prone to accidentally snapping off, and this design looks simple and clean. Price is good too!

P.S. I assume it needs an App to work, right?

Thanks. I like that it has a cable. Like you said, it will work better with a case. Also, it looks less prone to accidentally snapping off, and this design looks simple and clean. Price is good too!

P.S. I assume it needs an App to work, right?
Yeah, once you plug it in, it will ask you to download a USB app. The app hasn't received very good reviews, but it seems fine for viewing and playing videos from the card. Haven't played with it too much though.

That's a good price especially with the cable to keep it case friendly.

Does the audio playback as well? other iReader / iDisk and other brands have no audio until you export the whole video to the camera roll to play back on the native Apple app.

Last edited:
That's a good price especially with the cable to keep it case friendly.

Does the audio playback as well? other iReader / iDisk and other brands have no audio until you export the whole video to the camera roll to play back on the native Apple app.
Yes, I was getting audio as well.

Back