A119 User Question

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai S500, A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3v2v1
Apologies if this has already been asked (I have done a bit of searching and haven't found it).

I received my new A119 camera today and love it, however in recording I am a little confused. When pressing the exclamation mark button does this record the video from the time that I press the button, or does it record some video before and after me pressing the button?

Also when accessing the video on a PC, there is a "RO" folder on the card and then there are normal videos. Which ones are the normal loop ones and which ones are the ones recorded by the "exclamation mark" button?

RO is read only, those are the saved files, from memory you'll only get some video from before you press if using 1080p, if it's set to the higher res you get the full current segment

RO is read only, those are the saved files, from memory you'll only get some video from before you press if using 1080p, if it's set to the higher res you get the full current segment
Thanks for the quick reply mate, so yes the Read-Only is the "exclamation mark" videos with a bit of video before and obviously however long you record for until you press the "exclamation mark" button again. I have done some test videos to try and figure it out just to be sure. Anyways if I was in an accident i would get home and take the microSD card to review the footage right away, to secure it.

I believe if your in 1080p mode, pressing the "exclamation" button will save the 10 seconds before you pressed it and around 20 seconds after. Not sure if those are the exact times, can't remember. You do not need to press the button again to stop it, it will stop automatically. In 1440p mode it will save the entire file that you are currently recording. This will include any time before you pressed the button until the current file finishes. So if your looping at 3 minutes and press the button at 1 min in, you will save 1 min before you pressed the button and also the remaining 2 minutes. These are all saved in the RO folder.
This was my understanding of it from Viofo. If I am wrong, as I haven't actually tested it, someone let me know.

I believe if your in 1080p mode, pressing the "exclamation" button will save the 10 seconds before you pressed it and around 20 seconds after. Not sure if those are the exact times, can't remember. You do not need to press the button again to stop it, it will stop automatically. In 1440p mode it will save the entire file that you are currently recording. This will include any time before you pressed the button until the current file finishes. So if your looping at 3 minutes and press the button at 1 min in, you will save 1 min before you pressed the button and also the remaining 2 minutes. These are all saved in the RO folder.
This was my understanding of it from Viofo. If I am wrong, as I haven't actually tested it, someone let me know.
thanks mate for the clarify. yeah i have set it to 3 minute loops but for tonight i tested it and some videos recorded the previous 20 seconds, and then others 1 minute before i had pressed the "exclamation" button. i know the exact time i pressed the button because i began speaking and narrating. Also, the videos are sometimes 2.5 minutes in length, then some are only 2 minutes, then others are the 3 minutes.

I am not sure if it is buggy firmware, as a couple of times tonight i pressed the "exclamation" button and it didn't make the beep to tell me it was saving that file. I am running 0813 firmware...

thanks mate for the clarify. yeah i have set it to 3 minute loops but for tonight i tested it and some videos recorded the previous 20 seconds, and then others 1 minute before i had pressed the "exclamation" button. i know the exact time i pressed the button because i began speaking and narrating. Also, the videos are sometimes 2.5 minutes in length, then some are only 2 minutes, then others are the 3 minutes.

I am not sure if it is buggy firmware, as a couple of times tonight i pressed the "exclamation" button and it didn't make the beep to tell me it was saving that file. I am running 0813 firmware...
The time it saves before you press the button will depend on how far you are into the current loop. If your 30 seconds into the current cycle, then that's what it saves from before you press the button. If your 2 minutes in, then it's saves the 2 minutes before. Assuming your in 1440p mode. Again, in 1440p, it saves the entire current loop time.
I'm not sure why the total file length varies though. I would think if your loop is 3min, then the file should be 3 min (in 1440p). If your loop is 5 min, then the entire file would be 5 min. I have not tried firmware 0813 yet. Didn't even know about it until last night. Not sure what they changed.
Maybe @viofo can clarify the looping lengths again.

The time it saves before you press the button will depend on how far you are into the current loop. If your 30 seconds into the current cycle, then that's what it saves from before you press the button. If your 2 minutes in, then it's saves the 2 minutes before. Assuming your in 1440p mode. Again, in 1440p, it saves the entire current loop time.
I'm not sure why the total file length varies though. I would think if your loop is 3min, then the file should be 3 min (in 1440p). If your loop is 5 min, then the entire file would be 5 min. I have not tried firmware 0813 yet. Didn't even know about it until last night. Not sure what they changed.
Maybe @viofo can clarify the looping lengths again.
I must say this video has awesome video quality, just this slight issue that's niggling.

What you're saying makes complete sense - i haven't used any other recording mode so I've only been in 1440p with 3 min loop. Strange at the varying video lengths. Hopefully will get some resolution soon...

did you have motion detect turned on?
hi mate, i haven't turned Motion Detection at all from memory but i will double check, also have things like G-Sensor set to low and others like LDWS and the other Warning System turned off. I appreciate all the help that 's been provided so far :)

I am using a Sandisk class 10 Ultra card so from the reading i have been doing, this may be the cause of my problems? I am getting a Lexar 633x this afternoon so i will report back as to what happens with the footage then.

Picked up the Lexar 633x 32GB microSD card and the issues are fixed. Has the right number of videos that I pressed the "exclamation mark" button on in the RO folder and every single video across the card is 3 minutes in length.

As for how long it records before and after pressing the button, it varies, but you get at least a minute and a bit, and then whatever remaining after (of the three minutes). Perhaps if an accident has occurred it's better to change the Loop Length to five minutes instead?

If an accident occurs, most are going to remove the card ASAP to view and save footage anyway.
That's a good point, at least now for me it's working so that if an accident did happen i can get to the footage immediately without scratching my head as to where the specific footage was. Will throw out the Sandisk now.

That's a good point, at least now for me it's working so that if an accident did happen i can get to the footage immediately without scratching my head as to where the specific footage was. Will throw out the Sandisk now.
Sandisk is fine in a phone or tablet or even a point n shoot camera, just not in many dashcams or in some action cameras like GitUp or the SJ cam series. I wouldn't use them in a go pro either honestly. But when my sandisk 64gb card failed in a dashcam, I got it replaced under warranty and now i use it in my galaxy note 3 smartphone. Holds mp3s and pictures just fine.

Sandisk is fine in a phone or tablet or even a point n shoot camera, just not in many dashcams or in some action cameras like GitUp or the SJ cam series. I wouldn't use them in a go pro either honestly. But when my sandisk 64gb card failed in a dashcam, I got it replaced under warranty and now i use it in my galaxy note 3 smartphone. Holds mp3s and pictures just fine.
I agree. It has gone back in my lg g Pad even though i hardly ever use the tablet.

Looking at other Dash Cams now, I've got the itch to play around with more! :)

If an accident occurs, most are going to remove the card ASAP to view and save footage anyway.

Right, that would be best thing to do. In addition I got 2nd card and sd adapter in small box by cigarette lighter plug to switch them if needed. For example, in case of something pull first card out and place in second in case of following (road rage after something occur, long trip where some recording will be needed later but you still got long way to travel, etc). Thanks God so far it was never needed.

Back