A119 V.2 Almost All Smaller Newly Created files are Unreadable (Corrupted).

Smiley

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119V.1(1), A119V.2 (6), A119V3 (1)
With my current settings, a standard 3 minute file on the memory card is around 540 megabytes. Obviously, sometimes files aren't a full three minutes long. It seems that the camera is almost always creating unreadable files for the shorter segments–but the longer segments are readable and seem to play fine. I reformatted the card, rechecked it, and then I tested the card with h2testw–which said the card was fine. This was a Samsung pro endurance card. I switched it out for a different card and the same thing happened. I assume the camera is no longer working properly. I'm wondering if there is anything else like to try on the camera, or is it simply not working properly. I have attach some screenshots of the memory card. Thanks for your help. Harry2019-10 Viofo file errors Viofo A119V.2 LF2 Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 8.24.26 PM.jpg2019-10 Viofo file errors Viofo A119V.2 LF2 Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 8.24.56 PM.jpg2019-10 Viofo file errors Viofo A119V.2 LF2 Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 8.24.13 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like your super capacitors aren't working properly anymore, try turning the camera off before turning the power off, I assume a long press of the menu button will turn the V2 off?

If that is the problem and it is no longer under warranty then the supercapacitors can be replaced if you can find someone who can use a soldering iron.

With the camera on and recording, pull the power cable. Does the REC button stay lit for a few seconds or does it go out immediately?

With the camera on and recording, pull the power cable. Does the REC button stay lit for a few seconds or does it go out immediately?
The REC button goes out immediately. I guess that means it's the capacitors. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

Looks like your super capacitors aren't working properly anymore, try turning the camera off before turning the power off, I assume a long press of the menu button will turn the V2 off?

If that is the problem and it is no longer under warranty then the supercapacitors can be replaced if you can find someone who can use a soldering iron.
Thank you, that makes great sense. The camera is a little more then 2 years old and therefore out of warranty. Replacing the super capacitors sounds like an interesting idea, but probably above my pay grade. Turning it off before shutting down the power Is also a great idea. Thanks very much for the help!

Turning it off before shutting down the power Is also a great idea.
The problem with doing that as a permanent solution (versus fixing or replacing the camera) is if you're in an accident and lose power to the camera there's a real possibility that the video segment you need will be corrupt. Much better to solve the problem with a properly working camera.

The problem with doing that as a permanent solution (versus fixing or replacing the camera) is if you're in an accident and lose power to the camera there's a real possibility that the video segment you need will be corrupt. Much better to solve the problem with a properly working camera.
That is an excellent point. I have been looking for an excuse to purchase a Viofo A119V3, and perhaps this is it. Thank you for your help!

The REC button goes out immediately. I guess that means it's the capacitors. Thanks very much for the suggestion!
Yeah, caps are gone (at least one is). You can also use the TS recording format, which should prevent the last file from being corrupt.

Yeah, caps are gone (at least one is).
If one is gone then both are gone, they must be replaced in pairs.

TS format is a good idea if it is available on the V2.

I have been looking for an excuse to purchase a Viofo A119V3,
The V2 should have some value on ebay as for repairs stating what the fault is. It will be repairable fairly easily for someone who can solder.

I have some extra caps for the V2. Shipping I think should be about $7-10.

You could also buy them from VIOFO, will probably be cheaper.

If one is gone then both are gone, they must be replaced in pairs.

TS format is a good idea if it is available on the V2.

The V2 should have some value on ebay as for repairs stating what the fault is. It will be repairable fairly easily for someone who can solder.
I have seen units with only one blown cap and the last file was corrupt. Changing just that one cap fixed it. Not saying to replace the blown one with a different brand/size though. They should match.

Back