A119S Firmware Comparison new v2.0 vs old v1.01

BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
A119S Firmware Comparison FW2.0 with sharpening, hot pixel fix vs FW1.01 no sharpening, no hot pixel fix. The A119S with FW2.0 provides great image quality for accident recording which is the main purpose of the Dashcam.

Video Fanatics have a different view:
FW2.0 is slightly over color saturated and slightly over-sharpened and slightly too bright.
FW2.0 seems to have WDR or similar feature forced on for low light conditions, it brightens image greatly in extreme low light areas if you need that grainy effect, FW1.7 does not.

Request from VIOFO Custom Firmware = (FW2.0 including hot pixel fix & parking mode) + (FW1.01 image quality values & 50% less FW2.0 sharpening)
Eventually VIOFO will create the "just right" Image Quality firmware.

Last edited:
Thank you for this video and the response you gave me in the Image Quality topic. Will lower my headlamps and do some more runs, even though they were properly adjusted recently, before I first got the chance to test the Viofo.

I don't seem to be the only one asking for a compromise between the latest and original firmware when it comes to brightness going a bit too bright when in dark areas.
Also, it seems the Image Quality enhancements have given the recorded video a yellowish tint? When comparing the 2 directly, this difference becomes way too obvious.

Thank you for this video and the response you gave me in the Image Quality topic. Will lower my headlamps and do some more runs, even though they were properly adjusted recently, before I first got the chance to test the Viofo.

I don't seem to be the only one asking for a compromise between the latest and original firmware when it comes to brightness going a bit too bright when in dark areas.
Also, it seems the Image Quality enhancements have given the recorded video a yellowish tint? When comparing the 2 directly, this difference becomes way too obvious.
The Dashcam sensor has multiple image control settings/levels we only have access to exposure level. Since 2016 the image quality has improved to almost perfection but higher values to color saturation, hue and contrast will introduce unwanted halo or exaggerated detail and tint. For accident evidence these enhancements are useful until the over-bright compensation blanks out all license plates. This is why I compared the old FW1.01 which had no such enhancements.

Best way for owners to see the difference is to downgrade their current firmware to v1.01 and see for yourself. Unfortunately FW1.01 doesn't have the Hot Pixel remapping function to correct the defective Sony sensor.
If more people requested from VIOFO a Custom Beta Firmware which combines stable features from (FW2.0 including hot pixel fix & parking mode) + (FW1.01 image quality values & 50% less FW2.0 sharpening) = daily driver firmware. The only time I've seen complete image level control is on webcam driver settings and security cameras, which reminds me to finish my security cam setup video.

Last edited:
Add me to that request list.

The oversharpening is awful and if it's not fixed by the end of the year I will not be purchasing another Viofo anytime soon.

Add me to that request list.

The oversharpening is awful and if it's not fixed by the end of the year I will not be purchasing another Viofo anytime soon.
There is a planned A119S - less-sharpened BETA version very soon (60 days or less), I'm naming it BCH Beta
option #1 = (FW1.01 IQ + FW2.0 fixes/features + 0%FW2.0 IQ) B1.01 + C2.0 + H0/2.0 = BCH3.01
option #2 = (FW1.01 IQ + FW2.0 fixes/features + 50%FW2.0 sharpening) B1.01 + C2.0 + H1/2 x 2.0 = BCH4.01

until the new less-sharpened Firmware is released downgrade to old FW1.01
There is a known rotate bug and no Hot Pixel fix but the version is stable in my dashcam for 7 months.
Scroll to bottom of page for download links > > https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a119s/

Last edited:
There is a planned A119S - less-sharpened BETA version very soon (60 days or less), I'm naming it BCH Beta
option #1 = (FW1.01 IQ + FW2.0 fixes/features + 0%FW2.0 IQ) B1.01 + C2.0 + H0/2.0 = BCH3.01
option #2 = (FW1.01 IQ + FW2.0 fixes/features + 50%FW2.0 sharpening) B1.01 + C2.0 + H1/2 x 2.0 = BCH4.01

until the new less-sharpened Firmware is released downgrade to old FW1.01
There is a known rotate bug and no Hot Pixel fix but the version is stable in my dashcam for 7 months.
Scroll to bottom of page for download links > > https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a119s/

Hi BCH, any progress on this? Just bought an A119S running V1.7 and that image over-sharpening is eye watering! Look forward to trying your firmware when it's available.

Hi BCH, any progress on this? Just bought an A119S running V1.7 and that image over-sharpening is eye watering! Look forward to trying your firmware when it's available.

FYI sharpening has been toned down in the latest firmware available (2.1).

as of Nov.2 2017 VIOFO hasn't released the rumored 'user controlled' or 'v1.01 level' sharpening Firmware. As posted long ago, VIOFO will only address changes when enough feedback on an issue is received by them directly, meaning this forum doesn't really count, a VIOFO Service Ticket or direct email has more weight.

update: I was successful in modifying A119S Firmware v2.1 by changing the 'default settings' to those I prefer. Locating the exact Image Quality settings that control sharpness is complex using code comparison functions.

hacking Firmware can be rewarding but I'd really rather not given VIOFO can release a custom BETA version more quickly and easily. VIOFO is aware of this request but not a single word from them on this subject for 4 months.

update: I was successful in modifying A119S Firmware v2.1 by changing the 'default settings' to those I prefer.
Do you have a custom firmware version?

Do you have a custom firmware version?

excellent timing ! you are exactly the person I wanted to contact on this subject.

My Firmware hack was modifing the FW2.1 code and saving as is. Never occurred to me I could also save with unique version number LOL. Planned to change the silly 'DEMO1' label displayed when connecting Dashcam to computer which VIOFO said was difficult to change, wanted the model name A119S instead.

back in late 2016 a post on website, blog or forum (lost link) appeared stating someone in Russia had decompiled/hacked the early Beta A119 Firmware. In that post was the first hint of adding Parking Mode to the Firmware. What I can't remember is if that first firmware cracker from Russia is the same coder that introduced Parking Mode. If so, that same person has the ability to customize the sharpness settings. I would like to contact that person in Russia to request an unsharpened & unsaturated & unbrightened version with all the benefits of FW2.1 but image quality from FW1.01

Reactions: gse
@Falsificator is very talented for firmware but I'm not sure if he does anything on Novatek platform, I think he just works with Ambarella based models

Could you elaborate a bit more about your software/firmware developer/ing or is it too sensitive or personal whatever

hi Experts,

1) do we have the possibility to put higher rate of SPEED "sampling" on the frame/video of the A119S in this custom FW?
I've found that the SPEED value, printed on the frame, is some kind of the average value and has nothing to do with the real speed.
It's even wrong if for example we break or accelerate strongly. I mean instantly wrong. The average will be OK.
The data are there in the footage, as if you use some kind of software like Nextbase replay 3, you are able to see the real speed as the gps hardware samples it on higher frequency that shown on the frame.

2) do we have the possibility to setup the X, Y and Z axis of the G sensor (as for example in Cowon AW1). Not ALL axis as it is with min/med/high...
I've done it in the past with Cowon and reducing the Z will prevent the lock of files because of simple bumpers on the road (or bad roads)...keeping the settings for the X/Y accidents.

cheers

yes, frame by frame will be great
why it's not the case with actual dashcams?

sorry not to be clear.

Now we have the SPEED injected in the embedded video, I mean "updated", every 25 frames for example in the A119S at 30fps.
SO the first frame has the real speed, but as it's almost 1s laps time, too long, 25th frame has the wrong speed. The 26th we'll have the right one.

As you've said, it will be great to have it "updated" in every single frame.

if too high frequency of "injecting - updating", I think that every 5 frames could be some kind of acceptable compromise.

PS: the same for the GPS coordinates as where all data comes from

the data is generally collected once per second, there is a delay between collecting the data and then adding it to the video so what you see in the video is always behind real time to begin with and must be added to every single frame, updating it more often would also add a lot of overhead

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V A119S 2
T A119S 72
Mtz A119S 57
BCHobbyist A119S 1340
J A119S 0
Back