A119S firmwares

my daily driver is A119S = FW1.01 / F1.8 coated Lens / CPL on / Lexar 64GB card / GPS v2 Module / 1080@30fps / WDR off / LDWS off / FCWS off / G-Sensor off / Motion Detect off / Parking Mode always off /
will continue using this old Firmware until VIOFO releases less over-sharpened & less over-saturated Image Quality firmware.

As far as I see, BCHobbyist have contributed A119 / A119S series dashcams so many useful things and as a end users we have very pleased with your good working :) Many thanks for these works...

On the other hand, regarding to firmware versions, of course the latter does not mean that the better for firmware. However, as I have to use parking mode and record video during entire parking period, I need the latest firmware's (v2.1 or v2.2) edited version so that dashcam does not miss any footage in Parking Mode and automatically switch to normal recording mode when driving. Is it possible?

I just received an A119S running A119S_170622_V1.7.

I'd like to update to the latest available FW (V2.1, released 2017-08-17 and available at http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000047224-viofo-a119s-car-dash-camera-firmware), but I'd like to be able to downgrade again if it's not as good.

I'd also like to try other versions of firmware and compare the image quality.

Has anybody kept previous firmware images for the A119S? If people are interested, I'd be happy to host them and update when new FWs come out, but I can't find older FW BINs anywhere. (Or could we collect them all and keep them here in this thread?)

A119S v1.2 version firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAC4uPNuB1gCKyPAycATMo9GHKZvFHoeRX8
A119S v1.7 version firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAAcun94etNrc9E4cDieUofVsjq3CbWdA-o
A119S v2.1 version firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAD-kxkTOE4-Y-bNwaH_l217PTh_agNhp78
For your information!

As far as I see, BCHobbyist have contributed A119 / A119S series dashcams so many useful things and as a end users we have very pleased with your good working :) Many thanks for these works...

On the other hand, regarding to firmware versions, of course the latter does not mean that the better for firmware. However, as I have to use parking mode and record video during entire parking period, I need the latest firmware's (v2.1 or v2.2) edited version so that dashcam does not miss any footage in Parking Mode and automatically switch to normal recording mode when driving. Is it possible?

thanks for the feedback, as Parking Mode evolves hopefully newer firmware will contain improvements. What you and I don't know is what region of the video scene Parking Mode uses to detect motion. It could be the entire scene or area near center, the motion detection algorithm isn't perfect and the trigger threshold may require a fair amount of motion before time lapse begins (sensitivity). As I pointed out in another of your threads you could just skip Parking Mode and record normal video continuously with a battery pack to prevent missing anything. Most Parking Mode users would request VIOFO include a cache buffer to capture 5 seconds before motion was detected (pre-record time).

my daily driver is A119S = FW1.01 / F1.8 coated Lens / CPL on / Lexar 64GB card / GPS v2 Module / 1080@30fps / WDR off / LDWS off / FCWS off / G-Sensor off / Motion Detect off / Parking Mode always off /
will continue using this old Firmware until VIOFO releases less over-sharpened & less over-saturated Image Quality firmware.

I am a little surprised that you, who have extensive working knowledge about the A119S and have provided videos on such, would advocate using firmware version 1.01 for the A119S instead of the latest firmware V2.2. Is the image quality of V1.01 really so much better as to negate the improvements that have happened since? If you think so, I have to disagree. Image quality is a very subjective observation. I've observed the complaints and many times been unable to verify complaints by looking at the photos/videos. My old eyes can't see the significant Image Quality differences that some seem to complain about. If the difference cannot be recognized, then it is questionable. If you do see it, then keep complaining. Yes some improvements were false starts, like the XXXXX-Box problem, but all-in-all, there have been pretty impressive improvements from Viofo, including Parking Mode and maybe a real solution to the XXXX-Box problem after encouragement. There has since been only one reported incidence of a similar problem by @harsh, but without the X-boxes. You don't use Parking Mode with V1.01, because there is none, as Parking Mode wasn't introduced in the A119S until Version 2.1 (maybe a Beta version in V2.0 I think). All in all, I think the A119S image quality is still pretty good in V 2.2 and I will take it over V1.01, considering all the other improvements that have been made.

Parking Mode certainly isn't perfect but was an add-on for the A119 and A119S and a free-bee for users that bought their cameras before the release of the new firmware. Many were happy to have it as the newer high capacity microSD cards were just being proved in dashcams like the A119S at about that time. I have Parking Mode enable all the time. If I choose not to power the camera when parked, I can't tell the difference between Parking Mode and Normal Mode. Improvements between firmware V1.01 and V2.2 include: What @CaptureYourAction has listed in the Viofo Change logs at https://www.captureyouraction.com/pages/viofo-a119s-firmware.

Last edited:
My old eyes can't see the significant Image Quality differences that some seem to complain about.

any footage taken at a different time or place is of no use for comparisons anyway, the only way to do any subjective comparisons is side by side at the same time, anything else is guesswork and opinions

I don't use Parking mode.

No, I meant that >>>

@gse : You rock!.. Many thanks for this useful post :) I have been look for a suitable FREE Dashcam Player having GPS functionality and only found Dashcam Viewer that is not free license... As far as I see NEXTBASE Replay 3 is free and very useful for watching and editing dashcam videos...

On the other hand, is there any other free dashcam viewer tool like NEXTBASE Replay 3, Dashcam Viewer, etc? If there is free version of Dashcam Viewer (i.e previous versions) it is also ok for me if you share the setup of them. Thanks in advance...

No, I meant that >>>

@gse : You rock!.. Many thanks for this useful post :) I have been look for a suitable FREE Dashcam Player having GPS functionality and only found Dashcam Viewer that is not free license... As far as I see NEXTBASE Replay 3 is free and very useful for watching and editing dashcam videos...

On the other hand, is there any other free dashcam viewer tool like NEXTBASE Replay 3, Dashcam Viewer, etc? If there is free version of Dashcam Viewer (i.e previous versions) it is also ok for me if you share the setup of them. Thanks in advance...
DashCam Viewer has a free version. You just can't load more than 5 files at a time.

Parking Mode certainly isn't perfect but was an add-on for the A119 and A119S and a free-bee for users that bought their cameras before the release of the new firmware.

This must be kept in mind. Something as complex as a well-functioning parking mode must necessarily be a key design goal from the start, and I think Viofo has done well here- especially when you consider what you get from other similarly-priced cams. Pre-bufferiung may be impossible with the chipset- I don't really know here but I do know that applies to some chipsets. Looking back at the fixes and firmware upgrades since this can came out it would be unfair to criticize Viofo over this. Most cam manufacturers don't even do half this good and many do nothing.

No cam or cam maker is perfect, but at least Viofo is trying hard and is usually succeeding which says a lot for what I think of him (y)

Phil

I am a little surprised that you, who have extensive working knowledge about the A119S and have provided videos on such, would advocate using firmware version 1.01 for the A119S instead of the latest firmware V2.2. Is the image quality of V1.01 really so much better as to negate the improvements that have happened since? If you think so, I have to disagree. Image quality is a very subjective observation. I've observed the complaints and many times been unable to verify complaints by looking at the photos/videos. My old eyes can't see the significant Image Quality differences that some seem to complain about. If the difference cannot be recognized, then it is questionable. If you do see it, then keep complaining. Yes some improvements were false starts, like the XXXXX-Box problem, but all-in-all, there have been pretty impressive improvements from Viofo, including Parking Mode and maybe a real solution to the XXXX-Box problem after encouragement. There has since been only one reported incidence of a similar problem by @harsh, but without the X-boxes. You don't use Parking Mode with V1.01, because there is none, as Parking Mode wasn't introduced in the A119S until Version 2.1 (maybe a Beta version in V2.0 I think). All in all, I think the A119S image quality is still pretty good in V 2.2 and I will take it over V1.01, considering all the other improvements that have been made.

Parking Mode certainly isn't perfect but was an add-on for the A119 and A119S and a free-bee for users that bought their cameras before the release of the new firmware. Many were happy to have it as the newer high capacity microSD cards were just being proved in dashcams like the A119S at about that time. I have Parking Mode enable all the time. If I choose not to power the camera when parked, I can't tell the difference between Parking Mode and Normal Mode. Improvements between firmware V1.01 and V2.2 include: What @CaptureYourAction has listed in the Viofo Change logs at https://www.captureyouraction.com/pages/viofo-a119s-firmware.
Each Firmware release adds improvements and we all benefit, I prefer the image quality of FW1.01. Difficult to see the difference from heavily compressed YouTube videos comparisons. Most dashcam owners want features and options, FW2.2 is loaded but the image quality still needs improvement. With all Menu Settings enabled especially 60fps more heat is generated, does it affect focus? does it affect hot-pixels? does it shorten life? Parking Mode is nice to have, amazing on these mid-range dashcams. If you want/use Parking Mode load FW2.2+, if you want to see what unsaturated, unsharpened, unbrighten video looks like load FW1.01 and view on 1080P 40inch TV. If you notice improved image quality like a few of us Barbarians, eventually VIOFO will get the message and release a similar FW1.01 IQ settings Firmware with all the other bells and whistles included... some day. Doesn't matter how hard you push me, my daily driver is FW1.01, nice try though.

Each Firmware release adds improvements and we all benefit, I prefer the image quality of FW1.01. Difficult to see the difference from heavily compressed YouTube videos comparisons. Most dashcam owners want features and options, FW2.2 is loaded but the image quality still needs improvement. With all Menu Settings enabled especially 60fps more heat is generated, does it affect focus? does it affect hot-pixels? does it shorten life? Parking Mode is nice to have, amazing on these mid-range dashcams. If you want/use Parking Mode load FW2.2+, if you want to see what unsaturated, unsharpened, unbrighten video looks like load FW1.01 and view on 1080P 40inch TV. If you notice improved image quality like a few of us Barbarians, eventually VIOFO will get the message and release a similar FW1.01 IQ settings Firmware with all the other bells and whistles included... some day. Doesn't matter how hard you push me, my daily driver is FW1.01, nice try though.
Fair enough. Everyone has to choose what best suits their needs. A good image quality is certainly a fine attribute for a dashcam, and not just for everyday viewing, but for that day when you need it for it's intended purpose. Perhaps my problem is that my tired old eyes are not so much high definition anymore, and the image resolutions of my dashcams are probably better than the resolution that either my Laptop or available TV can display. I get confused when I think about that sometimes because what I input to the TV comes from the Laptop, so I'm not sure if I'm getting a better image quality with the TV or just a bigger picture at the laptop resolution. I suspect maybe the latter. It probably doesn't matter much now as both are about the same. I look at videos from folks complaining about image quality and mostly I can't see what they are complaining about. I do see that the YouTube video quality is considerably worse that the recordings I make and display at home. So for now, perhaps out of ignorance and/or display limitations, I'm happy with the image quality I'm getting along with the other improvements of the latest firmware. But my old 32 inch 720P TV is leaning hard toward crapping out so I'm thinking when it finally does I'll replace it with a 40 inch 4K TV and stick it about two to three feet away from my nose so maybe I can finally see what others seem to see as far as image quality goes. I haven't looked yet but maybe I can find a TV that plays .mp4 videos directly from some convenient storage media so I don't have to worry about going through the laptop.

Regards,

Last edited:
The A119S has lots of software options from settings to Firmware.
A person needs these options to adjust for sunlight and vehicle environment.
I simply want an image that produces well on my laptop.
The image must be good enough not only to satisfy me but satisfy my lawyer or insurance agent.
Since Aug 2017 the Firmware and hardware on my A119S has remained unchanged due to the fact it performs consistently as expected.

I’ve used an option to adjust the Time Zone from DST to STD Time and Exposure aperture for the season change from summer to winter.
I’ve used an option to move the lens down one click from straight out to minimize dash reflection.
I’ve used an option to Format my HC micro sd card twice a month to monitor images and extend micro sd card life.

I have a relative who is a police constable and he has seen many dash cam images, he said none were better than mine, he liked the clarity.
I’m presently using the original Firmware A119S_170622_V1.7.
If I have a problem the first thing I will do is upgrade the Firmware.
I’m a senior and the A119S with its Firmware options, adequately meets my needs.

A119S = FW1.01 vs FW2.4 / F1.8 coated Lens/-1/3

The color scheme for me is so much better on version 1.01, but the sharpness in the software is not screwed up.

1.01.jpg
2.4.jpg

Last edited:
I think the purpose of a dashcam is to get more details: plates numbers, human faces, type of cars, etc.
If you look at the right SUV, the wheel and the side of the car have more details with fw 2.4.
This is what i want from a dashcam. For natural colors there are dslr's or action camera's.

Back