A119s General Questions

Bowen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new to this website in general and was hoping someone could help me out.

1. Loop Recording: Can someone explain to me what the manual means by 1/2/3/5/10 of loop recording? (My understanding is if I choose 3, it keeps recording a new video clip every 3 minutes, so my playlist would consist of multiple 3 minute videos).

2. Motion Detection: Does this act as a parking mode feature? I realize the A119s is not a dedicated parking dash-cam, so I'm just wondering how useful this feature is for parking. Will it start recording in the event random branches/leaves move?

3. Plate Stamp: I can't seem to get all my license plate numbers on it. It only lets me input one character. Is this a system error or user error? Pressing left and right only goes through the letters/numbers and pressing "Ok" just confirms my one character.

4. Frequency: I'm not sure if 50Hz or 60 Hz is better for video recording.

*I own a A119s with GPS mount. It is powered through the car's cigarette lighter.

I have some additional questions that aren't so general to the A119.
My vehicle seems to still power electronics even after I turn off the engine and battery. I've tested this on my dash-cam and mobile smartphone. Will leaving my camera running and plugged into the car for an extended amount of time ruin the car's battery? My dash-cam is not hardwired, it uses a micro-usb to cigarette lighter adapter.

Thank you.

1, correct
2, motion detect can be a bit hit and miss, try it and see what you think
3, press the menu key to advance to the next character
4, select 60Hz

leaving the camera running all the time is like leaving your interior light on all the time, it would eventually take a toll on the battery

1, correct
2, motion detect can be a bit hit and miss, try it and see what you think
3, press the menu key to advance to the next character
4, select 60Hz

leaving the camera running all the time is like leaving your interior light on all the time, it would eventually take a toll on the battery
Thank you for the quick reply. Is the camera not turning off with the engine/battery a common issue with other vehicles? I was hoping on using the A119s as a set it and forget it camera, but that doesn't seem to be the case with my particular vehicle. I read some other threads and its possible my vehicle may stop powering the electronics after 30-60 min.
Does the A119s have an auto-shut off feature? This would definitely eliminate the hassle to having to turn off the dash-cam manually every time I leave my car.

the camera is USB powered so only working with 5V so it can't know when your car is running or off, it relies on a switched power circuit to control that, that's a car issue rather than a camera issue as such

My car 12v socket is not automatic on/off, but constantly live.
Here is a simple sequence I use:
ON
1 Start car.
2 Plug in dash cam.
3 Do up seat belt
4 Put in gear.
OFF
1 Put out of gear.
2 Turn off car.
3 Unplug dash cam.
4 Undo seat belt
It’s such a simple and easy routine.

I use 5 minute clips for Loop Setting and I use a 32GB HC Micro Sd card with no issues.
You'll enjoy your dash cam once you get to know and establish your settings.

the camera is USB powered so only working with 5V so it can't know when your car is running or off, it relies on a switched power circuit to control that, that's a car issue rather than a camera issue as such
@jokiin do you know anything about Viofo's A119S Modified on: Mon, 18 Dec, 2017 at 2:39 AM I just did a firmware update a few weeks ago do you know what Viofo tweaked with the freezing xxxx

@jokiin do you know anything about Viofo's A119S Modified on: Mon, 18 Dec, 2017 at 2:39 AM I just did a firmware update a few weeks ago do you know what Viofo tweaked with the freezing xxxx

They've linked a video with update instructions, firmware is still 2.2. Modification date applies to the webpage.

They've linked a video with update instructions, firmware is still 2.2. Modification date applies to the webpage.
Ohhhh thanks harsh

What is the max current value (in mA) that Viofo A119S consumes? I need to select select the best fuse value in Amper (A) for this dashcam.

*I own a A119s with GPS mount. It is powered through the car's cigarette lighter.

When you say GPS mount. Does that mean the version with GPS built in? Or is there a separate mount you can buy?

EDIT: found out from @Harsh that The GPS chip which logs the car's location and speed is inside the mount, that's why it's referred to as a GPS mount.

Last edited:
separate small square module (mount) that secures to the windshield. The cam connects onto it.

Back