A119s gps pin stuck.

So I came across my first stuck pin. When I sell a GPS mount I always try to remember to press the pins to make sure they bounce back. This one did not. They are so small, you really can't tell what's causing it to hang up. So I put it under a microscope and took this picture. Something must have bumped it and deformed the pin sleeve (or whatever it's called). I wonder if this is the case with a lot of these stuck pins. I was able to stick a scribe tool into the hole and bend it back. I believe they are brass, so it doesn't take much. Now, as soon as I did this, the pin bounced up, but only about half way. Upon further inspection, I could see what appeared to be plastic inside the sleeve next to the pin. It took a few minutes, but I was able to get 2 pieces of plastic out. I used very pointy tipped tweezers, but a pin would probably work as well. I can only assume the plastic came from the bag the mount comes in. I bet a lot of people press the pins through the bag, I know I have. I'm thinking the pin pinched the bag and some got stuck inside. I'm not sure how the electrical connection occurs inside the pin, but I wonder if pieces of plastic could be causing some of these electrical issues with the mount.
I know most users don't have access to a microscope, so they probably won't be able to see it well enough to fix it, but maybe this will help someone out. Also might be good info for @viofo. Might want to put these mounts in a different kind of bag.

Attachments

• Viofo GPS Pin.jpg
    Viofo GPS Pin.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 23
I believe they are brass
No it's gold plated. Brass will corrode fast = lot of bad connection.

that photo will be very useful for @viofo to show the hardware engineer and the production manager

It's always helpful to get as many information to a problem. It could have bumped at the factory of the pin, at transportation, at installation, when it got packet. Hard to trace.
But I think there is less than 5 there got the problem. How many has been sold until now 10-30 thousand more.
That is a very small number of defect.

That I got one off the defect, did not change my mind of the quality of the product.
I'm 100% happy for that dashcam. Only 1 single corrupt file out off 2 month of recording. That include two S119a cams.
I got a firmware upgrade that improved the night record a lot. A very good CPL filter, easy to snap on/off.
The only thing I would like is a better player software, than the recommended one.

It appears that the base material for the pins and sleeves is too soft, too thin, or both if they can be manipulated so easily. If these are outsourced by the Viofo factory there might not be an easy solution available unless that same size device is offered in a more robust material. Otherwise that part of the mount would need to be redesigned for something better which is compatible with the cam as-is. The automotive environment is tough to survive in which makes designing for it equally tough and any deficiencies will show up quickly in the hands of the consumer no matter how well the design was tested in the factory engineering lab.

@CaptureYourAction - Great work there and well done. We're promoting you to Chief Detective of the International DashCam Bureau, Mounted Division :D

Phil

No badge but we've doubled your pay as shown below:
$0.00 x 2 = $0.00
Of course this will put you in a higher tax bracket :p

Phil

Back