A119S hot pixels - need help with calibration

I'm sure it will get sorted. But it comes back to: why use a sensor that has issues and cannot be calibrated yet in a mass production unit? From a marketing standpoint, that's not a wise choice. At least for me.

I do that sometimes and a reminder to all that the best minds are here to help regardless

I know. My rants are not directed towards anyone here personally. In fact, two of those who have posted in here have gone out of their way to do a fast RMA process for me (which I really do appreciate)

I'm just venting my opinion is all.

As the joker just said............ I reckon even sub-par processors don't get the maximum calibration/firmware support for maximum output

EDIT----- This post was meant to be above yours @Peylix........... All good

Well all things are good in the focal department on the new unit. So I'm happy about that. But the hot pixels this unit has gets worse over time.

It's so bad in this clip at times that it's embarrassing that I spent over $100 for this. Mic seems to be having some issue too.

If all goes well hot pixels will be automatically fixed/masked in a future firmware. If the proposed automatic method doesn't work I'm sure they will focus their energy on a manual method. Either way it should be fixed in the near future.

Unless you're trying to produce an award winning dashcam documentary video, hopefully you can live with a few hot pixels until the fix is out.

PS I hear vibrations did you add the EVA foam?

58cfedf76f03465adc64e763a8cff56b.jpg

I'll be fine waiting for the fix since I have a unit that can actually focus. But it still doesn't help the fact that this peppers the screen after each light source hits the lens. I'm still trying to figure out how some people don't have this at all, and my new unit is worse. One would think if this is software, everyone would be the same right?

Yes, I got foam with the replacement V2 S. Using it right now. It's not vibration unless there is something inside. I have also heard the audio be fine, then pop and everything is quieter. Something is up.

Edit: After reviewing more footage to cross reference my mic issue. I think it's my hardwire kit. Every time the audio would pop and then get 70% quieter, I had used my window. So the fizzing you here in the clip posted above is also probably a result of this.

The hardwire kit was the cheap $9 one off Amazon.

Last edited:
The hardwire kit was the cheap $9 one off Amazon.

Those cheap $9 hardwire kits on Amazon have fried a few cameras over the last year or so. They also fail in extreme cold after awhile. I don't recommend using that kit at all if it's the one I'm thinking of.
(has to be the same one at that price)

Those cheap $9 hardwire kits on Amazon have fried a few cameras over the last year or so. They also fail in extreme cold after awhile. I don't recommend using that kit at all if it's the one I'm thinking of.
(has to be the same one at that price)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00MH4ZVHOThis one right? This is the one I have. What's funny about it though, is it was the "goto" for everyone's recommendation. Even on Dashcamtalk's overview page. I know it has sense changed. But it's a little ironic.

What would you recommend? I'm not looking for one that will allow me to use parking mode (motion capture). Just the same functionality as I have now.

Yes that's the one to avoid. It's the "goto" one because it's so cheap and people buy it often now unfortunately.
Cell Power CPUB01 has high quality components (built to a higher price) and is proven to be rock solid. Most people wire it to a switched/ACC circuit even though it has some basic low voltage cut-off.

Just received 2 Viofo A119S v2 Cams from the AliExpress supplier "Shenzhen Smartway Technology Co., Ltd." Have the same issue as described in the thread above: both cams have tons of bad (hot, white) pixels. The picture looks completely ugly because of those. Is there finally a solution for this problem? Or shall I return the products to the seller? Do they have quality control there at Viofo at all? Wanted to write a review on the cams, and actually wanted it to be positive... Am very unhappy with Viofo quality now.
Bad Pixels - A119S v2 Front Cam.png Bad Pixels - A119S v2 Rear Cam.png

Last edited:
There is only once source for Sony sensors. All sensors have hot pixels that need to be calibrated away. A new auto Calibration future firmware update will address this. It's not a defect. You just need to be patient for the update to come out. If you return them for new units you may have less hot pixels but some will most likely still be there.

Sony Doc:
14jR4pd.jpg

Marketing a cam with a firmware which is lacking basic functionality such as the automatic hot pixels masking, required for the cam to be producing acceptable quality image, is IMHO not a wise decision of Viofo at all. It is the opposite of a good marketing strategy. I bet thousands of smart buyers all over the world check forums before they buy, and will never buy a Viofo unless they get a confirmation that the issue has been properly addressed. The fact alone, that a company considers it possible to sell such an unmature product, jeopardizes company reputation. So my recommendation for Viofo would be to expedite resolution of this problem, and to issue the firmware version with Auto calibration asap.

Having hot pixels is indeed not a defect of this type of sensor - it is a technical feature.

However not having proper auto masking for such a sensor IS a defect of the camera.

Last edited:
If they were using auto calibration right now you wouldn't have bright pixels but you also wouldn't be very happy with the video, there's a bug in the auto calibration process right now which needs to be addressed first, the hot pixels are the lesser of two evils right now, give it some time and it will either be sorted with auto calibration or they'll setup an engineering mode for manual calibration

Sweet, I'll flash it in a bit and test it out tonight.

Back