A119S Lens Comparison old F1.6 vs new F1.8

BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
A119S Dashcam F1.6 v1 Lens vs F1.8 v2 Lens Comparison
Original 7G F1.6 v1 Lens = 98 degree HView, uncoated lens, metal base, blurry on left issue/soft focus
New F1.8 v2 Lens = 101 degree HView, coated lens, plastic base, great focus.
(discovered new F1.8 Lens has a UV or scratch resistant coating while cleaning with distilled water and cotton swab, anyone confirm ?)

(discovered new F1.8 Lens has a UV or scratch resistant coating while cleaning with distilled water and cotton swab, anyone confirm ?)
It will be an anti-reflection coating, partly so that you don't get a lot of lens flare from bright lights or the sun and partly to improve the brightness of the lens. The green coatings tend to be the best and generally have more layers - multi-coated. Some coatings are a lot harder than the glass so are also scratch resistant but that is not always the case, always clean lenses as little as possible and always with something that is perfectly clean.

The old lens probably does have some anti-reflection coatings but not so good, and possibly not on as many surfaces.

It is possible that the F1.8 lens is as bright as the F1.6 if it has much better anti-reflection coatings.

It will be an anti-reflection coating, partly so that you don't get a lot of lens flare from bright lights or the sun and partly to improve the brightness of the lens. The green coatings tend to be the best and generally have more layers - multi-coated. Some coatings are a lot harder than the glass so are also scratch resistant but that is not always the case, always clean lenses as little as possible and always with something that is perfectly clean.

The old lens probably does have some anti-reflection coatings but not so good, and possibly not on as many surfaces.

It is possible that the F1.8 lens is as bright as the F1.6 if it has much better anti-reflection coatings.
great news on new F1.8 v2 Lens coating if green reduces reflection and also by covering outside provides a layer of scratch protection is enough reason for anyone with the original F1.6 Lens to claim warranty and upgrade.
verified, original A119S 7G F1.6 Lens has zero coating, vendor balanced one on end on wooden table then pushed it along which caused tiny scratches in center.

verified, original A119S 7G F1.6 Lens has zero coating, vendor balanced one on end on wooden table then pushed it along which caused tiny scratches in center.
I would not consider that to be proof, and even if true it says nothing about the internal lens surfaces.

I wouldn't recommend doing that to any lens that you may want to use!

Anyway, it is the final image quality that matters, not how the camera is constructed...

I would not consider that to be proof, and even if true it says nothing about the internal lens surfaces.

I wouldn't recommend doing that to any lens that you may want to use!

Anyway, it is the final image quality that matters, not how the camera is constructed...
Agreed Dashcam Image Quality is key regardless of shape, design, mount vibration, hot pixels and firmware bugs.
Simple test to verify lens has any coating is follow my Lens Cleaning video on CPL Filter to see how distilled water reacts to a 'coated' lens then repeat on Dashcam lens, F1.8 acts the same, F1.6 does not. F1.6 has zero coating and extremely easy to scratch. I agree cleaning any digital camera lens should be avoided unless you've touched the surface or something other than dust stuck to surface.

The A119S glass lens protrudes beyond the plastic lens housing (shown in Lens Comparison), watching other videos showing owners with lens aimed down place the dahscam flat (with lens aimed down) on hard surface will scratch the lens. Balancing the dashcam on the lens is insanity but makes an interesting 'what not to do' video.

A119S Dashcam F1.6 v1 Lens vs F1.8 v2 Lens Comparison
Original 7G F1.6 v1 Lens = 98 degree HView, uncoated lens, metal base, blurry on left issue/soft focus
New F1.8 v2 Lens = 101 degree HView, coated lens, plastic base, great focus.

Hi, thanks for this video. Do you think if it possible to extend lens via additional cable to install lens discreetly?

Hi, thanks for this video. Do you think if it possible to extend lens via additional cable to install lens discreetly?
short answer is yes,
watch for my A119S Modification videos

Looks like the more expensive one comes with the CPL, tap-a-fuse and a hardwire kit.

Looks like the more expensive one comes with the CPL, tap-a-fuse and a hardwire kit.

Actually, otherwise. That is why I am in a dilemma and asking for your advice. From the information on their pages, both include GPS, CPL, Hardwire kit at different prices.

What does it mean? Stock from/for Russia? I can go for the $115 one, right. It doesnt miss out on anything?
Thanks.

The first link show the CPL and hardwire kit included.

The RU stock listing is for faster local delivery within Russia.

so there is now one firmware covering two different hardware setups.

somehow I don't think this will end well...

What does it mean? Stock from/for Russia? I can go for the $115 one, right. It doesnt miss out on anything?
Thanks.
IF you click on the Russia option, a message will probably pop up informing you that it can't be shipped to your destination.

Since initial release of A119S the 4 Lens tested here randomly suffer from misalignment or focus issues during production, some are perfect but none I received. The Sony 2MP IMX291 Exmor sensor may not be a good match with its continued Hot-Pixel issue, because of these and other issues I predict A119S will stop production soon. I'm wondering if the newer Firmware releases which include the Hot-Pixel re-mapping Fix aren't creating excess heat by performing the extra re-mapping sequence? New Lens are good if they improve image quality but is the housing plastic or metal?

New Lens are good if they improve image quality but is the housing plastic or metal?

I don't know, hopefully they fixed it considering they're using the same lens on two dashcams now (three if you count A129 front and rear).

so there is now one firmware covering two different hardware setups.

somehow I don't think this will end well...

At least three different configurations now... o_O

Back