A119S V2 Disappointment

I wouldn't change the view even a bit, you have it perfect, in my opinion. :) if you didn't crop the picture, of course. :eek:

The exposure is higher on the a119s which is causing the sky to blow out but it has also brightened the insides of the cars around you (first pics). You have to remember that a dashcam is for recording events on the ground, not for taking artistic pictures.

The a119s has more sharpening but its impossible to compare resolution since both images are downsized.

Last edited:

The dark car hood takes up 30% of the image and you are under tree canopy so the camera is going to increase exposure. The license plate of the truck is exposed almost perfectly and there is no motion blur from an increased exposure time. If you want to decrease exposure to see the building just point the cam upwards to see more sky, otherwise this is a good image.

Does anyone know if A119S V2 will fit on a GPS module V1 (compatible?)

No, won't fit

suggest you downgrade firmware 1.2 to FW v1.01, the older version has the reversed image bug but doesn't suffer from FW v1.2 overly sharp/contrast image quality adjustments which affect all thin text, lines, wires, edges which you seem to be concerned with. For a $100 dashcam the image is amazing in my opinion that's why I'm still using my A119S with a defective lens (still waiting for replacement parts 4 weeks now).
I don't recommend increasing exposure, instead drop it to -1/3, then disable WDR wide dynamic range and record some clips.

suggest you downgrade firmware 1.2 to FW v1.01, the older version has the reversed image bug but doesn't suffer from FW v1.2 overly sharp/contrast image quality adjustments which affect all thin text, lines, wires, edges which you seem to be concerned with. For a $100 dashcam the image is amazing in my opinion that's why I'm still using my A119S with a defective lens (still waiting for replacement parts 4 weeks now).
I don't recommend increasing exposure, instead drop it to -1/3, then disable WDR wide dynamic range and record some clips.
Who is the Seller that is making you wait 4 weeks?

Who is the Seller that is making you wait 4 weeks?

VIOFO of course, who else makes you wait so long ?
followed their Support Ticket system on my defective lens issue, still waiting for the new lens module to arrive via slow boat from China.
You know i'll publish another video once this is over.
I'm staying mostly quiet during this phase gathering data for my overall VIOFO A119 series review coming soon...
http://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new

VIOFO of course, who else makes you wait so long ?
followed their Support Ticket system on my defective lens issue, still waiting for the new lens module to arrive via slow boat from China.
You know i'll publish another video once this is over.
I'm staying mostly quiet during this phase gathering data for my overall VIOFO A119 series review coming soon...
http://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new
There are a few great local Sellers USA/Canada/Amazon.ca May I ask why did you buy from Viofo who also is the manufacturer. But.... Viofo's team usually scans this forum and now you will get a reply back from his company, more than likely on this site.

There are a few great local Sellers USA/Canada/Amazon.ca May I ask why did you buy from Viofo who also is the manufacturer. But.... Viofo's team usually scans this forum and now you will get a reply back from his company, more than likely on this site.

good to see you attempting to teach a lesson on how to buy VIOFO dashcams.
my fingers are bleeding so to address your concern for my case please take a moment to read my April 10, 2017 post here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119s-gps-module-modification.28328/#post-327886

VIOFO and my local supplier in Richmond, BC are fully aware of my Support Ticket, they may not like my comments or videos, i'll wait another two weeks then proceed with other action.

I've just got one of these to replace a mini806 (which is another story entirely!) and after reviewing some footage after some driving around today I too am somewhat disappointed with the clarity.
I'm using 1920x1080p 60fps, WDR is off
I don't think it's anything to do with exposure, the lack of clarity on number plates, street signs etc seems to be down to over-aggressive sharpening. Maybe I should have gone for the A119 :(
edit: firmware is V1.2

downgrade your FW v1.2 to FW v1.01 - leave WDR off, try with and without CPL. I've aimed my A119S so my hood isn't visible using FW v1.01 and it doesn't affect the image or sky too much.

my fingers are bleeding so to address your concern for my case please take a moment to read my April 10, 2017 post here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119s-gps-module-modification.28328/#post-327886

VIOFO and my local supplier in Richmond, BC are fully aware of my Support Ticket, they may not like my comments or videos, i'll wait another two weeks then proceed with other action.
Well then wait for that "slow boat from China" Seems that you have everything under control. And no I did not read your previous post. I still maintain that if a purchase was made with OCD Tonics or Capture Your Actions Or amazon.ca Sellers, you would of had your problems resolved within a short period of time. And I have no concerns what you do . Just curious why you post your problems if you don't really want members to respond to help. We all don't realize the the vast experience you have with your purchases...

Last edited:

Thanks for you kindly waiting.
I just send PM to you to check the details, will help to check the progress.

Yeah, the over sharpening is a major buzzkill right now. I will be downgrading the FW when I get the chance. But I also need to pick up a CPL. Man, I REALLY want to love this cam. But I think I'm gonna jump ship once SG releases their dual setup they're working on. I've had more problems with the 119S in a month than my 118-C in 3 years.

Back