VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Hello guys, do I understand it correctly the A129 Duo hasn't buffered parking mode? Do you thing it will be added to the firmware? Is it possible? This is the only reason I hesitate to buy this awsome cam. If I don't buy it, I will buy the DOD RS500S because have not found better camara with such a video quality.
Good question, all VIOFO dashcams do not support buffered recording, for proper Parking Mode recording you always want 2-5 second buffered recording to capture those seconds before the actual event detection just like any normal security camera offers. Unfortunately the A129 Duo will never have this 'must have' feature, you will always lose the initial impact or motion event. This is why many owners simply leave normal recording on during Parking or continuous Time Lapse.

Always match your Dashcam needs to features supported by the device, VIOFO doesn't mention "non/not buffered" in A129 Manual or on the retail box. If I required 5 second buffered recording to capture footage before an event I wouldn't buy any VIOFO product.

So to summarize the features I'm considering:

I can use the low bitrate parking mode with impact detection (g-sensor). The parking mode does not work reliable now but it will work definitely in the (hopefully near) future. Maybe I will have to buy a new hardwire kit when they finally fix the parking mode.

There is no chance to have buffered recording.

The activating/deactivating the parking mode can be done by the button for switching the camera on/off.

What is the power consumption if I want to use only the impact detection (no timelaps or low bitrate)? I mean the camera is in stand-by mode (or sleeping) and when g-sensor detects the impact, the camera starts recording? F800 Pro offeres this as Energy Saving Mode which consumes much less energy.

not supported by the chipset, keep in mind buffered parking mode exists to improve the poor results of motion detect which is not reliable otherwise
Are you sure the buffering cannot be supported by the chipset? I have just came across this your post from the thread about DOD RC500S where you wrote exactly the same and I checked that the DOD cam supports the 15 s buffering.

They mention it as a 3rd generation parking mode which is available when using firmware update from 25th octobre 2018

Currently there is no 'single button' activation for Parking Mode like MIC Mute or WiFi has, its deeper in Menu. For your needs leaving Parking Mode enabled 24/7 will drain battery in secure parkade where it isn't needed filling memory card with useless clips, I'd suggest manually entering Menu each time which is tedious.

Many don't know the A129 Duo is undergoing Parking Mode Beta testing and its not working 100% and requires a new 'under development' hardwire kit connected to Front camera side connector which is silly and another design opportunity missed by VIOFO.

If you haven't purchased the A129 Duo yet but need Parking Mode protection I'd almost suggest waiting until February 2019 for current testing to end, or you could buy now and contribute to the Parking Mode Beta Testing efforts which is also tedious.

Nah, DCTeam officially recommends BUY NOW fix later.

I have recently bought the HK3, yet to fit it but have it all wired up with an inline on-off switch to toggle between ACC and Bat+ (if I don’t need PM), are you saying that I may need to buy another HK3 after the ongoing product testing in Feb?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Parking Mode recording in Time Lapse can't load the MIC with current settings even if it could would sound like a squirrel, only way is to select 30fps clips and that's normal video so no point. Selecting G-sensor Event in Parking Mode triggers capture only with impacts and that does enable MIC.
Will add your request on my To-Do-List.

I need audio at all times as i use it as surveillance and proof of wrong doing if there is one. I can not have audio off at any time. Think of cops, accidents. Turning off audio is not a good idea IMO. I do not even see a reason to turn audio off. Thank you again for all your work on those mods.

The only way to "add" options to Firmware is by decompiling the full SDK then recompiling with customization. I will offer this type of modification later in 2019. Much easier and faster to hack the HEX and edit values.

That's great. I used to do projects in C about 15 years ago but would love to play with the source if you get the tool chain figured out and a repo you could share. Understand if it has to be private.

@BCHobbyist I also noticed all the parking mode videos are about 4 Mbps constant bit rate in VLC -- maybe not technically CBR, but it doesn't seem to fluctuate much at all depending on the scene. Heck, if I cover the lens and record just black, it's still 4 Mbps. Does this chipset/SDK support a more aggressive variable bit rate encoding that might save a lot more space?

Last edited:
hello community.

just in case you have to format your sd card at your computer, use fat32 instead of exfat. exfat is a new format system but thats not working.

thank you

just in case you have to format your sd card at your computer, use fat32 instead of exfat. exfat is a new format system but thats not working

I think lack of exfat support is why a lot of these cams don't support SDXC cards greater than 256 GB.

So to summarize the features I'm considering:

I can use the low bitrate parking mode with impact detection (g-sensor). The parking mode does not work reliable now but it will work definitely in the (hopefully near) future. Maybe I will have to buy a new hardwire kit when they finally fix the parking mode.

There is no chance to have buffered recording.

The activating/deactivating the parking mode can be done by the button for switching the camera on/off.

What is the power consumption if I want to use only the impact detection (no timelaps or low bitrate)? I mean the camera is in stand-by mode (or sleeping) and when g-sensor detects the impact, the camera starts recording? F800 Pro offeres this as Energy Saving Mode which consumes much less energy.
There is almost no way to compare Thinkware F800 to A129, they are on two different levels. Thinkware F800 has onboard memory for true video buffering, F800 requires 12volts to camera not possible to run from Power Bank, F800 is 2 to 3 times the retail price offering superior WiFi APP and features, functions and options.

If I was shopping for best Parking Mode protection I'd never select any DVR unless it had 2-5 second buffered video. Your earlier statement about Auto insurance evidence is correct, unless it shows the actual impact it's not enough. I was very surprised when VIOFO created the A129 without buffered video. It doesn't matter what they do with Parking Mode Hardwire Kits since it will always miss the first 2 seconds of event unless you leave continuous time lapse running which drains the battery faster and reducing protection time, low bitrate for reduced power still uses more power since to compensate for no buffering you must run continuous time lapse recording all night.

I'd always prefer 5 second buffered recording to allow Parking Mode low-power state to wake on motion or impact event then save clip starting 5 seconds before event exactly the same as any security camera.
Very few Dashcams in 2018 offer true buffered Parking Mode recording :
Thinkware F800 Pro = $390
BlackVue DR900S 2CH = $450
BlackVue DR750S 2CH = $400
BlackVue DR490L 2CH = $190
Lukas LK-7950 = $250

I have recently bought the HK3, yet to fit it but have it all wired up with an inline on-off switch to toggle between ACC and Bat+ (if I don’t need PM), are you saying that I may need to buy another HK3 after the ongoing product testing in Feb?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
good question, no one knows for sure but the voltage signal trigger limits in both the voltage regulator kit and firmware algorithm change on each new beta version, so 'my guess' to use all 7 or 8 future perfected Parking Mode settings we'd all have to order the newest voltage regulator hardwire kit and connect it exactly as required for proper signal and connect to A129 side port which is ridicules then wait 5 mins for Parking Mode to activate after ignition off. Glad I don't actually use A129 for Parking Mode, stick with my real low power 5fps A119S for that (0.19 Amp in standby wakes on visual motion or impact but misses 2 seconds).
If VIOFO takes much longer to perfect A129 Parking Mode they will lose orders and receive many A129 returns, just my opinion, I don't represent any brand.

I need audio at all times as i use it as surveillance and proof of wrong doing if there is one. I can not have audio off at any time. Think of cops, accidents. Turning off audio is not a good idea IMO. I do not even see a reason to turn audio off. Thank you again for all your work on those mods.
Agreed, I always leave microphone enabled then remove for YouTube unless profanity level is too extreme. Continuous normal 30fps video recording is always the best option if power source can handle it.
Have a few interesting surprises planned for A129 MODs once Parking Mode is fixed.

That's great. I used to do projects in C about 15 years ago but would love to play with the source if you get the tool chain figured out and a repo you could share. Understand if it has to be private.
interesting how this thread is evolving, almost like I planned it, but that's not possible for a Hooligan.
actually backspaced this line, all I'll say is, subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss anything coming in 2019, not sure it can be posted in this Forum.

@BCHobbyist I also noticed all the parking mode videos are about 4 Mbps constant bit rate in VLC -- maybe not technically CBR, but it doesn't seem to fluctuate much at all depending on the scene. Heck, if I cover the lens and record just black, it's still 4 Mbps. Does this chipset/SDK support a more aggressive variable bit rate encoding that might save a lot more space?
Most security cameras use 4Mbs as standard low-power recording bitrate, reducing it to 2Mbs is probably too low for any quality unless in full sun light. Should be able to modify these levels even from HEX, so far it hasn't been requested but I've just begun spending time on A129, not sure how many others are working on A129 MODs but very soon a very skilled engineer is about to jump in and help develop A129 modified firmware to their maximum potential for all owners world wide, I'll tag along for comic relief.

Exciting times ahead for the A129 Duo in 2019 suggest everyone go out and buy 4TB external drive storage just to save the MODs !!
You ain't seen nothing yet . . .

hello community.

just in case you have to format your sd card at your computer, use fat32 instead of exfat. exfat is a new format system but thats not working.

thank you
Welcome to the Forum, our Home and native land, also place to brag, strut, share and reveal your IQ (image quality).

All microSD memory cards 64GB or higher will only work with FAT32 as you point out. Some 128GB or higher even when FAT32 may not be detected correctly with many being fake, always buy from known source and test full capacity is supported. I'd also recommend even after formatting new card in PC to Format again from Dashcam Menu.

Back