A129 Pro Duo Framerates/Firmware

_nch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, currently looking at getting a Viofo A129 Pro Duo to replace my current dashcam. However, I've seen mixed answers on whether this camera can record 60FPS on the front camera whilst the rear camera is connected. From what I've seen, it looks like it wasn't supported to start with, but Viofo was working on getting this into the firmware. I can't find any official release saying that it's been baked into the firmware to support this though. If someone could point me in the right direction, or even offer up a firmware file if it's in a beta version that would be much appreciated before I press the buy button.

Cheers :)

what resolution do you want to run the front camera at while set to 60fps?
Sorry, forgot to mention this - only aiming for 1440p 60FPS on the front camera, I know that 4K is limited to 30FPS whether the rear is plugged in or not!

if that's your intention you might be better off with the A129plus model, I believe they've added that option recently

if that's your intention you might be better off with the A129plus model, I believe they've added that option recently
Ah, cheers for the quick response. So to confirm, it's not possible with the Pro Duo?

it might be, someone that has one can confirm, even if it is I'd expect the plus model to perform better at that resolution, you're throwing away pixels for nothing on the pro model at that resolution

it might be, someone that has one can confirm, even if it is I'd expect the plus model to perform better at that resolution, you're throwing away pixels for nothing on the pro model at that resolution
Thanks, I'll look into that and see if the sensor/image quality is similar. If anyone who has one can advise that would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks, I'll look into that and see if the sensor/image quality is similar. If anyone who has one can advise that would be much appreciated! :)
I think @Nigel has used both and might be able to comment on which is going to give you better results at 1440p

A129 Pro Duo will do 1440P60 +1080P30

In good lighting the Pro will give the nicer image with more dynamic range and higher bitrate (haven't checked bitrate for 1440P60+1080P30), and the extra resolution does give more detail, it also seems to have much better wifi, so is a good choice.

The Plus has a faster sensor, so will have less motion blur in poor lighting and at night. Could make a significant difference if you want to read a plate in low light, otherwise it is only a minor difference.

If you want to use parking mode, the Plus might be the better choice, the Pro will shut down on hot days and did have some other parking mode issues, not sure if they are all resolved.

A129 Pro Duo will do 1440P60 +1080P30

In good lighting the Pro will give the nicer image with more dynamic range and higher bitrate, and the extra resolution does give more detail, it also seems to have much better wifi, so is a good choice.

The Plus has a faster sensor, so will have less motion blur in poor lighting and at night. Could make a significant difference if you want to read a plate in low light, otherwise it is only a minor difference.

If you want to use parking mode, the Plus might be the better choice, the Pro will shut down on hot days and did have some other parking mode issues, not sure if they are all resolved.
Brilliant - I'll assume that's a firmware upgrade then and the bits I've read about it not supporting 60 with a rear cam plugged in are without that.

Parking mode isn't too much of a bother for me and most of my driving is during the day, so looks like a Pro it is as the price difference here is minimal! Thanks to you both!

Brilliant - I'll assume that's a firmware upgrade then and the bits I've read about it not supporting 60 with a rear cam plugged in are without that.

Parking mode isn't too much of a bother for me and most of my driving is during the day, so looks like a Pro it is as the price difference here is minimal! Thanks to you both!
Good choice.
I had the 129 Plus Duo and didn't like it because couldn't see the plates driving on the freeway, so I returned it. I now have two 129 Pro Duo's and love them. I run both at 4K @ 30fps and evening after viewing the video files, I've noticed that pausing the video and zooming in I can get the plate numbers almost every time.
I use Dashcam Viewer to zoom in. A must have program and I have notice it more clear than using VLC program.
Right now I use the free version and going to pay for the full version soon.
TC

Back